The Student Room Group

Primark: New Thread

Hello,

This thread is for everyone; those who wants to work at Primark, those who worked at Primark and to those who are already working at Primark. I have decided to make a new thread as the other Primark thread is 11 years old and the last time people have chatted on that thread was for 3 months. At this moment I am not a Primark employee, hopefully I will be an employee there as I have just applied yesterday for a Christmas temporary jobs. I will tag those people who have chatted on the older Primark thread but as that thread was in 2008 the wage has changed dramtically, induction's have changed and interview's should be similar.

Here are things you need to know about Primark's benefits: (As of October 2019 - Sales Assistant)

- Various shifts. E.g. A student working at Primark will easily be able to work during the weekends instead of Monday morning whilst they are studying at school, college or university.
- Training to develop your skills
- Fast-paced, fun culture
- Supportive colleagues
- 10% off during different seasons. E.g. Christmas, Easter, New Year, Summer

If you want to apply link is right here: https://careers.primark.com/
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Common Question Interviews at Primark:

1. Why do you want to work for Primark
2. Tell me a time when you worked as a team
3. What shifts can you do
4. Are you flexible
5. What do you think you could bring to primark
6. What would you do if you were faced with a difficult customer
7. Who are Primark's main competitors
8. Give an example of when you worked under pressure
9. Name a time when you came across a problem and how did you solve it
10. How would you describe yourself in 3 words
11. Do you have experience of working in a fast-paced environment
12. Give an example of a time where you went above and beyond to provide excellent customer service
The Application Form:

If you really want to work at Primark you'll need to go through the application form. Compulsory things on a Primark Application Form: CV, Personal Details, Where did you find the vacancy, availablility and an online assessment.

Optional: A cover letter.

Online Assessment:

Due to high volume of application forms Primark will not have the ability to read every single CV. So Primark have set up their own online assessment which is relatively easy. If you have been at primark (highly likely) then you should know what employees are like at Primark. The questions consists of; shifts, team supporter, stock, customers and tills. Once this is all completed it'll take maximum 2 weeks for Primark to email to say if you have been invited to an interview or you have been unsuccessful and to reapply after 180 days.

Interview:

Once you've received an interview you'll be asked questions on your availability, interview questions seen in the post above, right to work document and possibly customer related questions.

Right to work documents: Birth Certificate, Passport, National Insurance Number/Card

What to wear: Should wear something smart, casual but not tracksuit bottoms as they look unprofessional.

Tips for an advice:

1. Handshake the interviewer
2. Smile at the interviewer (not a weird smile)
3. Speak formally and professionally (no slang)
4. Have a confident posture and gesture.
5. Speak with clarity.
6. Looks smart and professional.

Induction:

If Primark have contacted you through email or phone you've been hired and you are now working for primark congratulations. Normally it takes around 2 weeks. Inductions normally take around 2-8 hours.

During the induction:

1. Right to work document
2. Videos on health and safety
3. Providing your uniform
4. Till Training
5. Tour around the store
6. Get to know your new colleagues.
7. 2 references
8. Paperwork
9. Contract
10. Chill and relax on your first day.

Notice Period at Primark: Believed to be 1 week notice
(edited 4 years ago)
Hope you stay around :smile:
I had my induction yesterday but was not till trained even though they expect me to use the tills on my first shift next week, yikes!

Does anyone know how to log on to the website where you order your uniform? I thought the username was just my employee ID which I use to log on to Workday, but apparently it is my employee number. Yet I can't find my employee number anywhere!
Original post by TheAnxiousSloth
I had my induction yesterday but was not till trained even though they expect me to use the tills on my first shift next week, yikes!

Does anyone know how to log on to the website where you order your uniform? I thought the username was just my employee ID which I use to log on to Workday, but apparently it is my employee number. Yet I can't find my employee number anywhere!

From what I know is that they should give you till training. Perhaps the employee number is in the handbook if not ask the manager or a colleague who had the same issue.
Primark break entitlements are as follows:

4 hrs = No break
5 hrs = 15 mins
6 hrs = 30 mins
7 hrs = 1 hr
8 hrs = 15 mins (am), 1 hr (lunch), 15 mins(pm)
9 hrs = 15 mins (am), 1 hr (lunch), 15 mins(pm)
10 hrs = 15 mins (am), 1 hr (lunch), 30 mins(pm)
(edited 2 years ago)
At the Primark I work at, the pay is £8 per hour for under 21s! Regardless of if you are 16 or 18.
Reply 9
Haha I'm not surprised you weren't till trained on your induction, I wasn't either and then was given overtime on tills :rolleyes: Luckily then it only took like 5 minutes to train me!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Hi!My inductions tomorrow and i was wondering if anyone could help me?Do i start work immediatly the next day ? in my interview i mentioned the most recent days I'm away (for uni open days) and I think the man only wrote down one , and I mentioned it over the phone aswell. Do you think i will be working immediatly , and if so how to i address this to the manager cause i dont want to be causing problems on my first day hahah help! my friend who works there said i'd probably be starting on the saturday so i hope shes rightsAny help would be appreciated!!
Reply 11
Original post by leeh20
Hi!My inductions tomorrow and i was wondering if anyone could help me?Do i start work immediatly the next day ? in my interview i mentioned the most recent days I'm away (for uni open days) and I think the man only wrote down one , and I mentioned it over the phone aswell. Do you think i will be working immediatly , and if so how to i address this to the manager cause i dont want to be causing problems on my first day hahah help! my friend who works there said i'd probably be starting on the saturday so i hope shes rightsAny help would be appreciated!!

Are you contracted to weekday or weekend? If it's weekend then I would imagine it's this Saturday. I had my induction on a Saturday and my first full shift was on the Sunday.
Reply 12
Original post by lau19
Are you contracted to weekday or weekend? If it's weekend then I would imagine it's this Saturday. I had my induction on a Saturday and my first full shift was on the Sunday.

Hi! I honestly have no idea! The manger just said it was chistmas work from the start of november ,and im a student so i he knows the best days for work for me are the weekends but other than that he only mentioned its part time?
Reply 13
Original post by leeh20
Hi! I honestly have no idea! The manger just said it was chistmas work from the start of november ,and im a student so i he knows the best days for work for me are the weekends but other than that he only mentioned its part time?

Oh, I started as a Christmas temp too at the beginning of December last year and when I was emailed to say I was successful, I was told what my contracted hours would be. I'm sure you've probably found out now anyway? Hope you enjoyed your induction. :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by lau19
Oh, I started as a Christmas temp too at the beginning of December last year and when I was emailed to say I was successful, I was told what my contracted hours would be. I'm sure you've probably found out now anyway? Hope you enjoyed your induction. :smile:

I did , thank you so much!
It was quite stress free and fun to be honest nothing like i was expecting ik really enjoy it!
Why not work for a retailer that sells clothes that last? Fast fashion is the second biggest contributor to climate change.
Original post by lau19
Haha I'm not surprised you weren't till trained on your induction, I wasn't either and then was given overtime on tills :rolleyes: Luckily then it only took like 5 minutes to train me!

Yeah luckily the tills are super easy to learn and use! I was shadowing someone for 10 minutes and then left on my own (other staff were still around to help) haha.
Can someone help me regarding booking time off? I am a weekday staff so i'm not obliged to work on bank holidays/public holidays. Obviously the store will be shut on Christmas day but do I still need to book that day off on Workday to be payed for it? Thanks!
Original post by barnetlad
Why not work for a retailer that sells clothes that last? Fast fashion is the second biggest contributor to climate change.

Don't pretend your wardrobe is full of sustainable and eco-friendly clothes lmao. Are you a vegan? Do you abstain from all transport that runs on petrol or diesel? Do you avoid buying everything with plastic packaging?
You are on The *STUDENT* Room...most part-time student jobs are either in retail or with a food chain that supports the meat/dairy industry. Some people need to earn a living smh. I bet you're the kind of person who slates those who are unemployed as well.
Reply 19
Original post by TheAnxiousSloth
Can someone help me regarding booking time off? I am a weekday staff so i'm not obliged to work on bank holidays/public holidays. Obviously the store will be shut on Christmas day but do I still need to book that day off on Workday to be payed for it? Thanks!

I wouldn't think you'd have to book it off, I know bank holidays come out of weekday staff holiday allowance but I have a feeling Christmas Day and Easter Sunday are exempt from that because the stores are always closed, best to check though!

Quick Reply