The Student Room Group

Can I get braces again for free on NHS?

I got braces in May 2016 and got them off in May 2017, 6 months early because my gums were about to go right over my brackets as they were really inflamed. I believe I was allergic to the nickel used to make them as I’m allergic to all earrings and my gums became inflamed on the first day of having them. I’d never had problems with my gums before and I know for a fact I was brushing my teeth every day and my orthodontist said I wasn’t when I was. I was even prescribed a really strong mouthwash by my dentist to combat the gums but it did nothing and so they had to be removed. Basically my teeth were straightened a bit but coming off early, they never gave me bands so my cross bite was never fixed nor my 3mm overbite. And I now have a small gap between my bottom front teeth. I’m really unhappy with my smile and I hate it so much but my dad isn’t letting me get braces again (despite him having braces last year to straighten his teeth). I don’t really know what to do as I would like them again but preferably not metal ones due the allergic reaction. I’m 100% positive that’s what caused the inflamed gums. I’m now 17 and will be 18 in September 2020 which is why I’m asking.
Reply 1
According to this, then yes, anyone can under 18:
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/braces-and-orthodontics/

But I would imagine there should be a medical need for it. Speak to your dentist as soon as possible. Do not delay this because otherwise you will have to pay a lot of money.
Reply 2
Original post by 0le
According to this, then yes, anyone can under 18:
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/braces-and-orthodontics/

But I would imagine there should be a medical need for it. Speak to your dentist as soon as possible. Do not delay this because otherwise you will have to pay a lot of money.

I’ve got my next dentist appointment booked for 18th November which is very handy. I asked her last time but she said they don’t give you braces again until it’s been 2 years which now it has. I really hope I can have them.
Reply 3
Only if your trousers keep falling down.
Reply 4
Original post by Vinny C
Only if your trousers keep falling down.

You put a smile on my face with that joke. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
You put a smile on my face with that joke. :smile:

We aim to please
But if you had an allergy to them last time, surely you will have the same issue again?
Reply 7
Original post by black tea
But if you had an allergy to them last time, surely you will have the same issue again?

I wasn’t sure if you could get ceramic ones on the NHS?
Original post by Anonymous
I wasn’t sure if you could get ceramic ones on the NHS?

Nope.
u could ask for invisible braces cos they dont have the metal wire they only have brackets

Quick Reply

Latest