The Student Room Group

RAF gunner aptitude test QnA

I just got back from my RAF gunner aptitude test and I passed so Im made up with myself but if anyone has any questions about the test feel free to ask since its fresh in my mind and I apoligize if I cant answer the ones you ask but I will try my best :smile:
Reply 1
I see no compelling reason to join the RAF Regiment. The prospects are grim, postings terrible, the job boring and the whole concept likely to be axed within your career span.
Well arn't you a gigantic **** Clip.

Thanks wannaberockape for posting this, i don't have any questions but congratulations on passing :-)
Reply 3
Original post by Me-A-Doctor?
Well arn't you a gigantic **** Clip.

Thanks wannaberockape for posting this, i don't have any questions but congratulations on passing :-)

Right.....

In intelligent society, it is generally considered a good thing to hear opinions that differ from your own, rather than just mindless backslapping and people telling you how clever you are without actually thinking about it.

I will tell you why I think that a career in the RAFRegt should be very carefully considered:

Firstly, the things that are beyond doubt:

1. The RAFRegt is very small. Because of this, there are very limited opportunities for promotion. There are lots of Gunners waiting around at SAC (sorry - fake Lance Corporal) level for corporal opportunities that might never come. The equivalent soldier would be a corporal or maybe even a sergeant long before. The opportunities for additional trades such as Team Medic or PTI are similarly very limited due to the small size of the RAFRegt. This may not worry the potential candidate now, but if you stay longer than a couple of years and have a wife and family - it will be a very big deal then - as there will be no promotion, hence no money.

2. The RAFRegt has no defining role, and because of this is always under threat of extinction. Less than 15 years ago, the RAFRegt had both Light Tank and Rapier Squadrons. Both long gone to the Army. Why? Because there is nothing whatsoever that the RAFRegt do that could not be very very easily done by the Army. The RAFRegt role now consists mainly of being an RAF security guard and driving around the perimeter of an airbase. A lot. Public Duties? Apart from carrying a lot of coffins, the RAFRegt PD role is insignificant compared to Army units.

Now what of the things that are debatable?

1. The RAFRegt is not popular. Everyone outside the Air Force hates you, or has never heard of you. Why? Because it is a "combat" unit without a combat role, and has never been put on the Arms Plot.

2. Everyone inside the Air Force hates you too. Why? Because unlike the highly skilled technicians and aircrew, the Gunners don't do anything except tell everyone how tough they are. The RAF already has an elite force - they're called pilots, they don't need another one.

3. The only people that like Gunners are other Gunners. The rest of the Armed Forces (if they have ever heard of the RAFRegt) thinks it is a joke.

4. The RAFRegt only exists due to the misplaced loyalty of successive generations of Air Cadets for whom it is their wet dream to end up in this unit. Not so funny or so clever when it turns into a dead-end occupation.

Now, I'm not saying the Gunners are bad soldiers, or that they aren't brave guys. Far from it. Only that as a career choice, it is terrible, and offers nothing that is not in every way worse than an equivalent role in the Infantry.

Please think about this very carefully before you join the ranks of disappointed Air Cadets.
(edited 12 years ago)
to be honist i havnt thought about this that much and i just really want to go in the RAF and not to bothered about promotion because im only 16 and by the time i do get promotion i will still be on good money for my age anyway and plus its a way to keep fit and have great friends whilst doing the job you love so that is why im tryin to join the regiment
Reply 5
If anyone is interested, this is what the regiment gunner aptitude test actually looks like;
im pretty sure the test looks the same as most of the tests well i am sure
Hi, can you tell me if test is similar to the booklet they send, how difficult is test my maths is pretty bad:frown:
Yes the maths is pretty much the same just learn to add,multiply and divide fractions but its not that hard because I suck at maths too but I found the test quite easy, also learn the electrical comprehension part basically physics, and electrical circuits. hope this helps :smile:
What do you do in an aptitude test?
Reply 10
Original post by CDawson33

You could have started a new thread rather than resurrect one that is 8 years old, but an aptitude test is a measure of your natural ability, eg spatial awareness, multitasking, tracking objects. Applicants for roles like Air Traffic Controller and aircrew take an aptitude test. Airman/airwomen roles (including RAF Regiment) actually do what is termed the Airman Selection Test, which looks at skills in subjects such as English, science, maths and comprehension, plus some aptitude with things like a memory test. Are you wanting to join the Forces and, if so, any idea of what role?
Original post by Surnia
You could have started a new thread rather than resurrect one that is 8 years old, but an aptitude test is a measure of your natural ability, eg spatial awareness, multitasking, tracking objects. Applicants for roles like Air Traffic Controller and aircrew take an aptitude test. Airman/airwomen roles (including RAF Regiment) actually do what is termed the Airman Selection Test, which looks at skills in subjects such as English, science, maths and comprehension, plus some aptitude with things like a memory test. Are you wanting to join the Forces and, if so, any idea of what role?

Yes I am currently waiting for a dait to do an AST. I have applied to be a regiment gunner.
Original post by CDawson33

Hi

Read everything on this page carefully and watch the video fully, it will explain the Airmen Selection Test for you and you can practice the mock test on there to get an idea of what to expect.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/how-to-apply/ast

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by RAF_Adam
Hi

Read everything on this page carefully and watch the video fully, it will explain the Airmen Selection Test for you and you can practice the mock test on there to get an idea of what to expect.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

Thankyou

Quick Reply

Latest