The Student Room Group

Interned twice at Google and returning after Uni - AMA

I have spent two summers at Google in London, A STEP Intern in 2018 and an SRE Intern in 2019, and will start permanently next July. Feel free to ask me any questions about Google, applying, internships, conversion etc..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bobjim12
I have spent two summers at Google in London, A STEP Intern in 2018 and an SRE Intern in 2019, and will start permanently next July. Feel free to ask me any questions about Google, applying, internships, conversion etc..

Hello, thanks for posting.

I've actually just applied for the Google Summer internship in London. What's the magical formula for getting through the door? I have strong academic credentials from top tier universities (BA, MA), plus have worked in various roles, though *not* in the tech industry hence my reason for applying for the internship as I want to gain some exposure to the industry.

Which divisions do you think are best to work for? What's the typical profile of someone working in the London offices eg are they International, UK-based, graduates from top universities etc? Also, is their main office in Victoria or in King's Cross?
Reply 2
Original post by Eggs and Ham
Hello, thanks for posting.

I've actually just applied for the Google Summer internship in London. What's the magical formula for getting through the door? I have strong academic credentials from top tier universities (BA, MA), plus have worked in various roles, though *not* in the tech industry hence my reason for applying for the internship as I want to gain some exposure to the industry.

Which divisions do you think are best to work for? What's the typical profile of someone working in the London offices eg are they International, UK-based, graduates from top universities etc? Also, is their main office in Victoria or in King's Cross?

Hi,

your strong credentials and experience (non-tech experience may not be that valuable but i had none when i applied). will get you past screening, after that, your technical interviews will decide whether or not you receive an offer. These require strong algorithm and data structure knowledge, I would recommend this book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cracking-Coding-Interview-Programming-Questions/dp/098478280X or websites such as Hackerrank to practice. You should be able to use data structures such as arrays, list, maps, trees sets, hashtables etc. and know typical algorithms like tree traversals, searching, sorting etc..

In all honesty, the teams in London aren't the most exciting (the most exciting teams are in Zurich, their biggest engineering office in EMEA). Most notable teams in London are Android, Chrome, Health/fit and a looooot of SREs. Android is quite a big team and are working on some exciting stuff, i don't know much about the others, SRE is huge and I will be working somewhere in SRE when I return in July. You won't get a choice of team per se, once you've passed your interviews, you will be in a pool of applicants visible to googlers with a possible intern project that they will arrange to speak with you to propose the project to you, and this could be from anyone in the office.

Permanent staff are a mix of people, from all around the world. A lot of interns are not from the UK, I see a lot from other European countries like Romania, Poland and Serbia. There are a handful of UK university students and they have been from Oxbridge, imperial, Warwick, St Andrews, King's to name a few.

The main (Engineering) office is 6 Pancras Square in King's Cross, the office in Victoria is mostly HR and Recruitment staff.

EDIT: I will also add to intern at Google you must be currently at University, and will return to University after you finish the internship.
(edited 4 years ago)
what degree u doing and where?
Reply 4
Original post by dan150999
what degree u doing and where?

Computer Science at King's
Reply 5
Do you know how the graduate salaries for non-technical business strategy roles compare with the technical computer science-type roles?
Econ undergrad at one of the London unis and thinking of applying but I have no idea about salaries and it's hard to find reliable info on google
Reply 6
Original post by h3110
Do you know how the graduate salaries for non-technical business strategy roles compare with the technical computer science-type roles?
Econ undergrad at one of the London unis and thinking of applying but I have no idea about salaries and it's hard to find reliable info on google

I believe that compensation is generally less for non-engineers but all the perks are the same.
Hi,

your strong credentials and experience (non-tech experience may not be that valuable but i had none when i applied). will get you past screening, after that, your technical interviews will decide whether or not you receive an offer. These require strong algorithm and data structure knowledge, I would recommend this book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cracking-Coding-Interview-Programming-Questions/dp/098478280X or websites such as Hackerrank to practice. You should be able to use data structures such as arrays, list, maps, trees sets, hashtables etc. and know typical algorithms like tree traversals, searching, sorting etc..

In all honesty, the teams in London aren't the most exciting (the most exciting teams are in Zurich, their biggest engineering office in EMEA). Most notable teams in London are Android, Chrome, Health/fit and a looooot of SREs. Android is quite a big team and are working on some exciting stuff, i don't know much about the others, SRE is huge and I will be working somewhere in SRE when I return in July. You won't get a choice of team per se, once you've passed your interviews, you will be in a pool of applicants visible to googlers with a possible intern project that they will arrange to speak with you to propose the project to you, and this could be from anyone in the office.

Permanent staff are a mix of people, from all around the world. A lot of interns are not from the UK, I see a lot from other European countries like Romania, Poland and Serbia. There are a handful of UK university students and they have been from Oxbridge, imperial, Warwick, St Andrews, King's to name a few.

The main (Engineering) office is 6 Pancras Square in King's Cross, the office in Victoria is mostly HR and Recruitment staff.

EDIT: I will also add to intern at Google you must be currently at University, and will return to University after you finish the internship.

Thanks for this, it's all helpful. I'm actually not applying for a technical/software engineering role. I'm interested in data-related roles eg analyst positions. I assume those would be based in King's Cross as well?

I wonder why you think the London office aren't exciting. I guess things must be more interesting at Dublin, as that's their head office?
Reply 8
Original post by Eggs and Ham
Thanks for this, it's all helpful. I'm actually not applying for a technical/software engineering role. I'm interested in data-related roles eg analyst positions. I assume those would be based in King's Cross as well?

I wonder why you think the London office aren't exciting. I guess things must be more interesting at Dublin, as that's their head office?

Ah I see, in that case you may be located in CSG, next to Tottenham Court Road, that is where a lot of the analyst/business people are based, King's Cross is almost all Engineers.

I just meant in terms of the teams you could work on within Engineering aren't exciting in London, I don't have much knowledge on what sort of teams that analysts work in based in London, I know for one that Cloud has a large base here.

Not sure about Dublin, not been to it. It's the HQ for many reasons.. :wink:. Dublin is mostly sales and analyst, with a few Engineering and SRE teams.
Did you receive internship offers from a lot big firms? Why did you pick Google?

Did you need to do any interviews to convert, given you've done two internships?

Did you get the option to re-join your internship team when you start permanently? Could you choose any office you wanted? If so, were you tempted by Zurich?
Reply 10
Original post by gcseeeman
Did you receive internship offers from a lot big firms? Why did you pick Google?

Did you need to do any interviews to convert, given you've done two internships?

Did you get the option to re-join your internship team when you start permanently? Could you choose any office you wanted? If so, were you tempted by Zurich?

I put off applying to other companies until i heard back from Google, so i did not apply to anyone else.

I did not need to do any interviews, but I know of others that need to.

As I have converted to SRE, I won't know what team that I'll be in until about a month before i start, however, when the time comes and there's a spot in my old team I would more than likely be placed there.

In terms of location, you are able to put location preferences down, but I only put London. I was tempted by Zurich as I have been out there twice and loved the office/city, also the pay is about double there, but I don't think I could commit to moving to Switzerland at this point in my life.

EDIT: I picked Google because i really enjoyed my 2 summers working there, and cba to go through ****ty applications for other places.
Thanks for the answers, and of course congratulations!

One more thing - is your offer conditional on your degree result? I'm curious how much Google cares about academics (the impression I get it "not much", but it might be different for graduate offers).
Reply 12
Thanks for the answers, and of course congratulations!

One more thing - is your offer conditional on your degree result? I'm curious how much Google cares about academics (the impression I get it "not much", but it might be different for graduate offers).

nothing in my contract refers to my degree at all!
do you think you could give me a brief assessment of my application for technology-based analyst internships? as oppose to strict stem internships like what you've done

i'll bore you with the details if you think you'd be able to help

many thanks
Reply 14
Original post by HoldThisL
do you think you could give me a brief assessment of my application for technology-based analyst internships? as oppose to strict stem internships like what you've done

i'll bore you with the details if you think you'd be able to help

many thanks

Not sure how much help I'd be in that regard but can take a look.
Not sure how much help I'd be in that regard but can take a look.

i will dm you
nothing in my contract refers to my degree at all!

Ha ha, amazing. It really is like a different world compared to "normal" graduate jobs. (Maybe it's a standard American thing, like having your last year at high school after your university offers where you can just chill?) I guess you can really your final year now! :cheers: Just remember to stay googley even when there's nobody around to assess you on it :wink:
Reply 17
Ha ha, amazing. It really is like a different world compared to "normal" graduate jobs. (Maybe it's a standard American thing, like having your last year at high school after your university offers where you can just chill?) I guess you can really your final year now! :cheers: Just remember to stay googley even when there's nobody around to assess you on it :wink:

I would assume i'd still need to complete my degree of course! But I'd say still aim for your best in it, for whenever you decide to move on from Google!
Hello, I have submitted my application for STEP 2019 on Oct 17th. But I haven't received any response now. Have I been rejected? Or there is any problem...
Reply 19
Original post by Computer haili
Hello, I have submitted my application for STEP 2019 on Oct 17th. But I haven't received any response now. Have I been rejected? Or there is any problem...

Not necessarily, I would assume rejection if you don't hear anything this month, best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending