The Student Room Group

Learn Automatic or Manual Driving?

Basically, I want to start getting driving lessons, but I’m unsure whether I should learn Automatic or Manual Driving. I know that if I learn Manual, I’d also be able to drive Automatic, but not the same if I learn Automatic and I know that Manual Driving is harder because of the gears.
Also, I’ve heard that soon there will be less manual cars, so would there be any point in learning that? Because obviously if I learn Manual Driving, I am going to buy a Manual Car.
Original post by adviceisallineed
Basically, I want to start getting driving lessons, but I’m unsure whether I should learn Automatic or Manual Driving. I know that if I learn Manual, I’d also be able to drive Automatic, but not the same if I learn Automatic and I know that Manual Driving is harder because of the gears.
Also, I’ve heard that soon there will be less manual cars, so would there be any point in learning that? Because obviously if I learn Manual Driving, I am going to buy a Manual Car.

I have never heard of anyone taking an automatic only licence. Unless you're planning on emigrating to America, I suggest you definitely lean in a manual transmission.
Original post by Reality Check
I have never heard of anyone taking an automatic only licence. Unless you're planning on emigrating to America, I suggest you definitely lean in a manual transmission.

Thank you
Automatics are definitely easier to learn to drive and a lot more relaxed driving than manuals.
It used to be that you had more control of a manual car especially in the winter but automatics have come on a lot these days and better control of the gears.
I learnt in a manual and have driven both .. now own a hybrid which is automatic.

As things are going to hybrids and full electric then they are all automatics anyway so learning gears and clutch will not be needed in a few years anyway
Original post by Anonnorth
Automatics are definitely easier to learn to drive and a lot more relaxed driving than manuals.
It used to be that you had more control of a manual car especially in the winter but automatics have come on a lot these days and better control of the gears.
I learnt in a manual and have driven both .. now own a hybrid which is automatic.

As things are going to hybrids and full electric then they are all automatics anyway so learning gears and clutch will not be needed in a few years anyway

Thank you for your help
Might aswell learn to do automatic, the concept seems daunting before you start to drive but then it comes to you and you understand you just go up gears as you go up speed etc.
Auto license is much easier to get, but bear in mind automatic cars are more expensive and maintenance can also be more costly, other rare occasions such as hiring cars may be an issue as they would usually have mostly manual cars for hire.
Original post by adviceisallineed

Learn manual because if you sit a automatic test then you can't drive manual cars but can so the other way around,

Automatic does the work for you instead of you changing the gears this does it itself.
Highly advice you to learn in a manual.
Firstly, you'll have more choice of driving schools / instructors as the vast majority only have manual cars. Automatics are a bit niche as very few people see the point in limiting themselves to just automatics. It's so niche it could cost more to get less (qualified)

Most modern cars have very forgiving gearboxes. I drive an older car (by choice, I like old nice things) and when I drive my mums 2019 VW Golf, the gearbox is so smooth and easy to use and it's very forgiving if you don't shift appropriately or stall it.

You can learn manual and never drive a manual. Any car I'd by new in the future only come in automatic now with manual being a premium.
Reply 9

nice to meet you. lol.

go for automatic OP......
Take manual! I can’t see automation being a big thing ever to be honest. Electric cars, yes but people love to drive, they love the feeling and (some) are very against automatic driving. Obviously there are reasons for automatic cars, my sister has slight learning difficulties so automatic would be perfect for her. If you’re capable doing manual, do manual. You don’t want to be stuck in a dilemma where you can only drive automatic when you need to drive a manual. Like you said if you learn manual you can do both. You could always buy an automatic after if you prefer it. Although I love driving, getting used to gears was hard but it’s all part of the fun!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Paypurr
Take manual! I can’t see automation being a big thing ever to be honest. Electric cars, yes but people love to drive, they love the feeling and (some) are very against automatic driving. Obviously there are reasons for automatic cars, my sister has slight learning difficulties so automatic would be perfect for her. If you’re capable doing manual, do manual. You don’t want to be stuck in a dilemma where you can only drive automatic when you need to drive a manual. Like you said if you learn manual you can do both. You could always buy an automatic after if you prefer it. Although I love driving, getting used to gears was hard but it’s all part of the fun!

you can't see it 'being a big thing'? most americans and japanese drive automatics. we are so backwards on this.
Original post by Paypurr

In a few years you are not going to have that choice ... it will all be automatically cars only.
Hybrids and full electric are only autos now
Original post by Anonnorth
In a few years you are not going to have that choice ... it will all be automatically cars only.
Hybrids and full electric are only autos now

Oh I didn’t know that, I think somewhere on the news it said they’re aiming to have all cars electric by 2030, so still considerable amount of time. I don’t know the rates that economical cars are being bought at, but I would rather have a more efficient car than anything else so better enjoy it while I can! :smile:
Original post by Paypurr
Oh I didn’t know that, I think somewhere on the news it said they’re aiming to have all cars electric by 2030,

The government can't work out what's going on in the next month. I'd take any projections for 11-years time with a very large pinch of salt.
Original post by Ciel.
you can't see it 'being a big thing'? most americans and japanese drive automatics. we are so backwards on this.

No, I can’t. I’m backwards.
The government can't work out what's going on in the next month. I'd take any projections for 11-years time with a very large pinch of salt.

Understood, and I agree. I didn’t hold much hope for that prediction either.

Fill electric cars I agree they have a long way to go yet to get these suitable to replace petrol and diesels... hybrids are a different matter... most manufacturers either have them now or bringing them out more.
Mine is one you dont plug in .. does not give much range on electric only but makes a difference when together with the petrol engine as the electric motors alone give around 200hp
I passed my driving test in an automatic. It mean my full licence is restricted to driving automatic cars, but that doesn't bother me. I've owned three lovely cars since I passed my test a few years back, the most recent one purchased on finance and a 1.6 engine. A little expensive to run in all honesty, as it drinks fuel like you wouldn't believe. But I am happy, so thats all that matters.
I passed in a manual 🙌 then drove a couple of manual cars. Then treated myself to an automatic lol 😂 wouldn't go back. Automatic cars are lovely 👌

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending