The Student Room Group

The parliament might stop clocks changing in 2021

What is everyone’s view on this?

Scroll to see replies

Parliament say a lot of things, it ain’t gonna happen lmao
Original post by idontkn
What is everyone’s view on this?

Its such an unimportant thing on the agenda, but yes in the 21st century there is no need for clocks changing & I would be in favour, if companies or farmers want to change working hours then they can.
Why do we even have day light savings...?

Obviously to maintain as many hours of the working day being light as possible but isn’t it also to do with harvests or something? 🤨
Reply 4
If it did happen Would you want to live in permanent Daylight Saving Time or Greenwich Mean Time? I think daylight saving time is more daylight in the day and short nights and Greenwich mean time is short days (becomes dark early) and longer nights. Personally I would want permanent daylight saving time so more daylight in the day because otherwise I feel like my timetable is rushed.
We hear this every year, nothing will come of it.
Reply 6
I'd rather they got rid of the clock changing, it's pointless for the world now.
Reply 7
So what would happen if it did stop changing? When it comes to the autumn and it gets dark early the clocks basically still stay the same?
When it comes to Autumn, it reverts back to GMT. GMT is the standardised time zone and is the same as UTC. The last sunday in March is when BST(DST) comes into place. This is an hour increase so that we have more daylight time. This doesn't really affect work and school but it's advantageous for farmers and harvests. If the clocks stop changing, would that mean having UTC + 1 (BST) all year or keeping it GMT(UTC + 0) all year round?
Reply 9
Just another thing to piss off Scottish voters.
Reply 10
Original post by Drewski

Huh? No.

Several people I know would rather we just used UTC.
Another two ****ing years ffs
Do you mean clocks won't go back or they won't go forward? If it's that they won't to back then I'm all for it.
We should switch to EST just to really **** with everyone.
Reply 14
So people would rather live with it becoming dark early (autumn days) permanently rather than live with daylight?
Reply 15
Original post by AnonymousGuest
When it comes to Autumn, it reverts back to GMT. GMT is the standardised time zone and is the same as UTC. The last sunday in March is when BST(DST) comes into place. This is an hour increase so that we have more daylight time. This doesn't really affect work and school but it's advantageous for farmers and harvests. If the clocks stop changing, would that mean having UTC + 1 (BST) all year or keeping it GMT(UTC + 0) all year round?

We might get to vote on that
Original post by CTLeafez
Why do we even have day light savings...?

Obviously to maintain as many hours of the working day being light as possible but isn’t it also to do with harvests or something? 🤨

Yes it is. It gives farmers more daylight in the morning. However, since most serious agriculture is fast becoming computer controlled using GPS, daylight is somewhat obsolete. For the average Joe dark evenings are just depressing.
Original post by Drewski

Why?
The original reason was that it was implemented in the First World War, then removed and taken out and then reimplemented in the Second World War when then it was kept (for the most part). The reason is for added production efficiency which was very important during the war which is why many European countries implemented it.
Putting the clocks back in the winter is an industrial policy and we are now living in a post industrial one. Far fewer people start work early in the morning than was the case say 30 years ago.

We should have BST all year round. We would save lives I believe if we did (better mental health and fewer road crashes).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending