The Student Room Group

What is a neuroscience degree like?

I am applying for 2020 entry for neuroscience to St. andrews (first choice), Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen. I was wondering what the degree was like in terms of content, difficulty, enjoyability etc. especially at these universities, but if you go elsewhere that would be useful :smile: thanks
Original post by Katemargaretxxx
I am applying for 2020 entry for neuroscience to St. andrews (first choice), Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen. I was wondering what the degree was like in terms of content, difficulty, enjoyability etc. especially at these universities, but if you go elsewhere that would be useful :smile: thanks

did some neuroscience modules at St Andrews.

really enjoyable actually... as much as it's possible to enjoy a degree (remember studying is not meant to be fun, and exams in particular are never going to be nice)

easy in first year, ok in second year, really difficult in third year and fourth year a bit easier

This is irrelevant to your question sorry but I was wondering do you study biology a level because I want to study neuroscience next year too but I'm worried it'll be too difficult as a lot of biology is involved but I am not studying bio a level :frown:
Original post by sumsum2017
This is irrelevant to your question sorry but I was wondering do you study biology a level because I want to study neuroscience next year too but I'm worried it'll be too difficult as a lot of biology is involved but I am not studying bio a level :frown:

So i’m from Scotland so don’t do A level etc, I did national 5 biology and higher human biology (which is equivalent to gcse and AS level) and am doing advanced higher biology this year (which is roughly equivalent to A level). I have a friend at St. andrews doing neuroscience and she hasn’t done any biology previously and is coping fine, just makes it a little more difficult, yet they recap a lot of Higher Biology, not sure if this helps but yeah :smile:
Original post by sumsum2017

the first year is designed to help everyone get to the same level so you won't need biology a level... however neuroscience degrees are basically human biology degrees. tough, but extremely interesting and rewarding
I’ve also applied for Neuroscience 2020 and am studying Bio, Chem, Psych at alevel but when I was researching I found that (depending on the uni) will usually just ask for EITHER bio/chem and sometimes will take just psychology too (such as Southampton) it depends where you apply because some will require two sciences. Some unis also consider Geography, Maths and Psychology to be a science as well. Do s little research and I’m sure you’ll find unis that take what you are studying :smile:
So i’m from Scotland so don’t do A level etc, I did national 5 biology and higher human biology (which is equivalent to gcse and AS level) and am doing advanced higher biology this year (which is roughly equivalent to A level). I have a friend at St. andrews doing neuroscience and she hasn’t done any biology previously and is coping fine, just makes it a little more difficult, yet they recap a lot of Higher Biology, not sure if this helps but yeah :smile:

Thank youuu. It helps a lot.
Original post by A Rolling Stone
the first year is designed to help everyone get to the same level so you won't need biology a level... however neuroscience degrees are basically human biology degrees. tough, but extremely interesting and rewarding

Thank youuu
Original post by Victoria73_
I’ve also applied for Neuroscience 2020 and am studying Bio, Chem, Psych at alevel but when I was researching I found that (depending on the uni) will usually just ask for EITHER bio/chem and sometimes will take just psychology too (such as Southampton) it depends where you apply because some will require two sciences. Some unis also consider Geography, Maths and Psychology to be a science as well. Do s little research and I’m sure you’ll find unis that take what you are studying :smile:

Ahhh I need to apply. The deadline is getting closer and closer.
@Katemargaretxxx have u applied yet then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending