The Student Room Group

[Official] Oxford Music Applicants 2020

Hi!
I've not seen many music applicants out here on TSR so thought this thread might bring us all together!

If you want you can introduce yourself, saying the following:
GCSEs:
Predicted/achieved A level grades (and what subjects you do other than music if you fancy):
AS grades (if you did them):
Your instrument:
Which college:
Any other universities you applied to:

Hopefully there are lots of you out there!

Scroll to see replies

Hello @rachsilb101 ,

It sounds like a good idea to submit an English essay alongside a music one. That's what I did when I applied in 2006, as my school's music syllabus didn't really involve essay writing :ninja:

Regarding the standard of the essay, they will definitely not expect it to be the standard of an Oxford undergraduate essay - don't worry. The leap from school to Oxford's music course is (for UK students at least) huge, so the first term or so at Oxford is a lot of mistake-making and bumbling around while you learn how to write an Oxford-standard essay. So they can't expect it of you, dw :biggrin:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hello @rachsilb101 ,

It sounds like a good idea to submit an English essay alongside a music one. That's what I did when I applied in 2006, as my school's music syllabus didn't really involve essay writing :ninja:

Regarding the standard of the essay, they will definitely not expect it to be the standard of an Oxford undergraduate essay - don't worry. The leap from school to Oxford's music course is (for UK students at least) huge, so the first term or so at Oxford is a lot of mistake-making and bumbling around while you learn how to write an Oxford-standard essay. So they can't expect it of you, dw :biggrin:

Wow thanks so much for the advice!! Yeah that all makes sense to me - I thought the jump would be pretty big from school to Oxford considering music education at school varies quite a lot!
My syllabus also doesn’t really require essay writing so I’m just submitting an English essay as I’ve said along with a music one that I’ve done out of class - though I’m kinda still proofing it lol I know it’s close to the date work is due.
Original post by krinyapajti
Hi!
I've not seen many music applicants out here on TSR so thought this thread might bring us all together!

If you want you can introduce yourself, saying the following:
GCSEs:
Predicted/achieved A level grades (and what subjects you do other than music if you fancy):
AS grades (if you did them):
Your instrument:
Which college:
Any other universities you applied to:

Hopefully there are lots of you out there!

Also - what others unis did you apply for?? :smile:
Original post by rachsilb101
Also - what others unis did you apply for?? :smile:

Only Oxford 😂 figured if I dont get in I'll just keep reapplying, I really love their music course! what about you?
Only Oxford 😂 figured if I dont get in I'll just keep reapplying, I really love their music course! what about you?

Hahah that was my original intention - I also loooveeee their music course, but I decided to apply to Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh and Kings as well!!
Hahah that was my original intention - I also loooveeee their music course, but I decided to apply to Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh and Kings as well!!

ooooh! have any of them gotten back to you yet?
ooooh! have any of them gotten back to you yet?

Nooooooo kind of stressed about it I won’t lie
Nooooooo kind of stressed about it I won’t lie

Oh hahah I get you :smile:
Wait I just realised all the unis you applied to are in the UK :smile: seems like you want to experience the UK student life!
Oh hahah I get you :smile:
Wait I just realised all the unis you applied to are in the UK :smile: seems like you want to experience the UK student life!

Hahaha yes i do! And as an update I received an offer from Durham yesterday! It is one of the best music schools in the UK so I’m really happy - of course Oxford is my first choice though.......
Hahaha yes i do! And as an update I received an offer from Durham yesterday! It is one of the best music schools in the UK so I’m really happy - of course Oxford is my first choice though.......

heeeeeey congratulations! it's one of the best music schools? oh interesting, I didn't know!
did you appply to any conservatoires?
heeeeeey congratulations! it's one of the best music schools? oh interesting, I didn't know!
did you appply to any conservatoires?

Yeah it was ranked number one this year for music!!! No I didn’t - as much as I do love performance, I’d like to focus on other areas like musicology for example, I’ll still take a performance module however

Congratulations! :king1:
Yeah it was ranked number one this year for music!!! No I didn’t - as much as I do love performance, I’d like to focus on other areas like musicology for example, I’ll still take a performance module however

Oh I see! I'm the exact same way :smile:
Hi, I’m applying to music from Spain! I applied to: Oxford, Durham, Birmingham, Glasgow and City unis. I suppose being an international applicant takes more time to receive offers... anyway good luck to all music applicants!!
Original post by Pianist02
Hi, I’m applying to music from Spain! I applied to: Oxford, Durham, Birmingham, Glasgow and City unis. I suppose being an international applicant takes more time to receive offers... anyway good luck to all music applicants!!

Hola!
Wow Spain is great!
I actually don't think it takes longer to get your offer because they send them all out in January but tbh I might be wrong.
Which college did you apply to?
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Congratulations! :king1:

Thank you!!:biggrin:
Original post by Pianist02

Hello!!! I’m also an international applicant - from Australia, what instrument do you play?
Hola!
Wow Spain is great!
I actually don't think it takes longer to get your offer because they send them all out in January but tbh I might be wrong.
Which college did you apply to?

I'm applying to Somerville😊
Hello!!! I’m also an international applicant - from Australia, what instrument do you play?

I play the piano! What about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending