The Student Room Group

What PGCE can I apply for with a BA in journalism?

I already have two rejections and I think its because I went for PGCE Geography, I do love the subject and did well at A-level equivalent from my country in it, I am starting to worry I will be rejected by everywhere for Geography and would be better off pulling my current application and sending a new one for PGCE English, what do you guys think?
Original post by EllieBubbles9001
I already have two rejections and I think its because I went for PGCE Geography, I do love the subject and did well at A-level equivalent from my country in it, I am starting to worry I will be rejected by everywhere for Geography and would be better off pulling my current application and sending a new one for PGCE English, what do you guys think?

If you don't get any offers for Geography with just your undergraduate degree, perhaps it would be beneficial to look into a Masters? Loads of unis offer conversion Masters courses for people who have an undergrad in a different field.

I imagine the only PGCE you'd be qualified to do is Media Studies. If you're wanting to do Geography or something else you should probably look into doing some modules in them (via Open Uni) or doing a conversion Master's/postgraduate diploma course.

Normally, unis expect at least 50% of your degree content to be related to the subject you want to teach. They do make exceptions for very shortage subjects (mostly maths) but journalism to geography is a big stretch. I'd suggest contacting unis prior to applying to see if any would accept you with just A-level equivalents.

Otherwise, you'd probably be better off going for English, but even then I would email unis before you apply (and presumably your PS is tailored to geography?)

Geography has little relevance to your degree. I would have thought English was the nearest 'subject' you could teach, but this would depend on your English proficiency and prior learning.
Original post by Quick-use
I imagine the only PGCE you'd be qualified to do is Media Studies. If you're wanting to do Geography or something else you should probably look into doing some modules in them (via Open Uni) or doing a conversion Master's/postgraduate diploma course.

I thought thats what SKE's were for though? It is what I was told by get into teaching
Original post by Reality Check
I would have thought English was the nearest 'subject' you could teach

I would have thought that Media Studies was the nearest subject (if not the most directly relevant).
I thought thats what SKE's were for though? It is what I was told by get into teaching

There's also that, yes. I'd recommend contacting the schools in advance (before you submit your applications). :rambo:

An SKE would be a good idea for you.
There's also that, yes. I'd recommend contacting the schools in advance (before you submit your applications). :rambo:

I did specify that I was happy to complete one as a condition of the offer but as they are subsidized I can only do it on the recommendation of an institution, otherwise, frankly I'd have signed up and completed one before even doing UCAS...correct me if I am wrong, please, what would contacting the schools directly do?
(edited 4 years ago)
I did specify that I was happy to complete one as a condition of the offer but as they are subsidized I can only do it on the recommendation of an institution, otherwise, frankly I'd have signed up and completed one before even doing UCAS...correct me if I am wrong, please, what would contacting the schools directly do?

Contacting the schools would mean you could find out whether or not they'd be up for you to do an SKE. Otherwise, as you've already experienced, you'll just be submitting applications and getting rejected.

At the end of the day, it's completely up to you. I'm just saying what I'd personally do in order to make life more efficient for myself.
(edited 4 years ago)

Just as an FYI, what get into teaching say, and what unis want doesn't actually always match up.

SKEs are generally used for people with some relevant degree content (so for example people with pharmacy degrees who have applied to teach biology) or for language teachers to get up to scratch on a second subject. I've only seen people be allowed to do SKEs with just an A-level in the relevant subject in physics (but with a STEM degree of some kind) and maths.

Even for shortage subjects, unis will reject people they don't think will cope with the course- there's no point the uni accepting someone they don't think will make a good teacher, as either they will drop out or need lots of additional support that could be used for other students. I know my uni was rejecting applicants for science courses last year, despite the massive shortage of science teachers in the country.

I would have thought that Media Studies was the nearest subject (if not the most directly relevant).

AFIAK, very few schools still offer Media Studies GCSE, due to the way progress 8 works. As there's less demand for media teachers, less unis offer Media PGCEs- although I think some still offer Media and English PGCEs which may be an option for OP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending