The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for letting me know
I just saw a reply in my junk mail
Original post by Ianrlawrence
I just saw a reply in my junk mail

I can’t find and email, I think I’m going to call them tomorrow
I applied on the 14th and got the email the day after
Finally got the email this morning, I guess they are still trying to get through them all lol
Reply 45
Original post by Jaybeuk
Anyone have any experience of getting in to Plymouth with resits?
My son has BBB in his A-levels (Physics and Biology very close to A grade boundary), so he is resitting them all and adding an EPQ.
His UCAT score is 2730. Is he likely to be considered?

My son applied to Plymouth last year as a resit candidate. However, he had A*/A/B and only had to re-sit the one subject. He was invited for interview with good GCSEs and a reasonable UKCAT score and post I/v was given a conditional offer provided he got an A for the re-sit subject. He got an A* so he got in without a problem in the end. So, although Plymouth do consider re-sit candidates, I'm not sure if that applies for 3 re-sits. Phone and ask them direct. If yes, then your son should certainly go for it. Whether the EPQ will add anything other than dilute his time to revise the 3 subjects, I don't know .... (except of course in widening his general knowledge), but in medicine, it is unlikely to reduce the grade requirement. If he is invited to I/v, then it will all come down to how he scores at interview (MMI), where there is a definite cut-off score.
Reply 46
Original post by username4951576
does anyone know if Plymouth only uses interview scores when selecting those getting offers at the end?

Yes, they usually only use the I/v score for making offers.
Reply 47
Original post by Yashchou
Thanks. Do u know which medical schools have placed for clearing?

St George's in London definitely does; in fact they actually reserve some places for clearing ....
Original post by talus1
My son applied to Plymouth last year as a resit candidate. However, he had A*/A/B and only had to re-sit the one subject. He was invited for interview with good GCSEs and a reasonable UKCAT score and post I/v was given a conditional offer provided he got an A for the re-sit subject. He got an A* so he got in without a problem in the end. So, although Plymouth do consider re-sit candidates, I'm not sure if that applies for 3 re-sits. Phone and ask them direct. If yes, then your son should certainly go for it. Whether the EPQ will add anything other than dilute his time to revise the 3 subjects, I don't know .... (except of course in widening his general knowledge), but in medicine, it is unlikely to reduce the grade requirement. If he is invited to I/v, then it will all come down to how he scores at interview (MMI), where there is a definite cut-off score.

Is it possible for you to share how son prepared. I'm a reapplying for medicine and since I didn't get any interviews last year cuz of my pathetic ucat n bmat scores this is the first time I'm getting interviews (hopefully). I've been looking at resources to prepare from but it's still nice to get some guidance. My school doesn't give two craps about me as long as I get my place 😂 also do you think it's worth paying for mock interviews?
Reply 49
Original post by Krunker482
Is it possible for you to share how son prepared. I'm a reapplying for medicine and since I didn't get any interviews last year cuz of my pathetic ucat n bmat scores this is the first time I'm getting interviews (hopefully). I've been looking at resources to prepare from but it's still nice to get some guidance. My school doesn't give two craps about me as long as I get my place 😂 also do you think it's worth paying for mock interviews?

The Medic Portal has a lot of resources about how to prepare for interviews whether traditional or MMI. I would also certainly apply to do one of the Medic Portal organised MMI courses. My son did one and said it was the best thing he did. Once that's done, just knuckle down and get the A Level grades you need. Good luck.
Original post by talus1
The Medic Portal has a lot of resources about how to prepare for interviews whether traditional or MMI. I would also certainly apply to do one of the Medic Portal organised MMI courses. My son did one and said it was the best thing he did. Once that's done, just knuckle down and get the A Level grades you need. Good luck.

Thankyou, I already achieved my a level grades and got 3 As. I was a little sceptical about the one day course, I thought the practice mmi mock would be more useful. What do you think? The course helps you get answers for specific questions like why medicine right? If so would you say that it would be better if I prepare the answers and go in to the mock and treat it like a normal university interview? Money is a bit of an issue for my family.
If you get invited to an interview is that the only deciding factor for them to give you an offer? Or do they also look back at your UCAT score, gcse grades ect.
Original post by Abzy2002
If you get invited to an interview is that the only deciding factor for them to give you an offer? Or do they also look back at your UCAT score, gcse grades ect.

Yh that's the only factor
has anyone applying for 2020 entry received an invitation for an interview yet?
Nupe
Nah not yt
Reply 56
Original post by Abzy2002

They have a cutoff score. If you score below that, they will not offer you a place. If however, you are on the cusp - so to speak - once all the interviews are done, if they have not made the number of offers that they plan to make, then they will look back at those who scored just at the cutoff and they may then, possibly, take into consideration other factors such as GCSE grades and UCAT score ...
Reply 57
Original post by Krunker482
Thankyou, I already achieved my a level grades and got 3 As. I was a little sceptical about the one day course, I thought the practice mmi mock would be more useful. What do you think? The course helps you get answers for specific questions like why medicine right? If so would you say that it would be better if I prepare the answers and go in to the mock and treat it like a normal university interview? Money is a bit of an issue for my family.

The Medic Portal one day course was MMI practice interviews/mocks all day. That is why it was so good and well worth it
Original post by arubsaeed
Hi, i applied for plymouth last year with 2450, similar gcses - 2 9s 3 A*s and 3 As. I got an interview and an offer so im sure you have a good chance of receiving an interview.

Hello,
do you have any interview tips for Plymouth especially the MMIs?
do you think they will send the interview invites according to the UCAT score ranking or will they send by students's names alphabetically??

Latest

Trending

Trending