The Student Room Group

Graduated nearly 6 months ago... struggling to find a job.. help

Not sure if i am using the right forum.. it is my first time posting something on SR.

So... I graduated in July 2019 with a First class in BSc Economics... Since then I have been looking and applying for jobs - mainly finance orientated e.g. Finance analyst, Finance consultant, Finance assistant - these have been both entry level jobs and general jobs. I applied on company websites (+ civil service) as well as using Reed, Indeed, LinkedIn, GuardianJobs, Totaljobs, Milkround, Caterer etc etc... and no luck :frown:.

I also tried applying to roles related to finance and the experience I already have (3 years + in retail) I even managed to get an interview at Metro Bank for a customer service rep role.. but I was unsuccessful. I do not have any other experience apart from my retail exp.

Last month I decided to look into grad schemes for 2020 and volunteering roles related to finance too. I have had no luck with them either. I really don't know what to do now. I just want a job and put my foot into somewhere so I can gain some experience because I think the lack of experience is the reason why I have been unsuccessful in looking for a job.

Any tips on what I should do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wildy_Bud
Not sure if i am using the right forum.. it is my first time posting something on SR.

So... I graduated in July 2019 with a First class in BSc Economics... Since then I have been looking and applying for jobs - mainly finance orientated e.g. Finance analyst, Finance consultant, Finance assistant - these have been both entry level jobs and general jobs. I applied on company websites (+ civil service) as well as using Reed, Indeed, LinkedIn, GuardianJobs, Totaljobs, Milkround, Caterer etc etc... and no luck :frown:.

I also tried applying to roles related to finance and the experience I already have (3 years + in retail) I even managed to get an interview at Metro Bank for a customer service rep role.. but I was unsuccessful. I do not have any other experience apart from my retail exp.

Last month I decided to look into grad schemes for 2020 and volunteering roles related to finance too. I have had no luck with them either. I really don't know what to do now. I just want a job and put my foot into somewhere so I can gain some experience because I think the lack of experience is the reason why I have been unsuccessful in looking for a job.

Any tips on what I should do?

My nephew is in a similar position. He graduated a couple of years ago and then failed a masters. He has been unemployed for three years. Again no work experience.
My advice to you ( as it was to him - but ignored) is move to London - Christmas is coming up - there are seasonal jobs - get any job - retail, bar work anything - once you are in employment it is easier to find other work.

You need to speak with these agencies and find out why you are not getting work - that is their job. You clearly have great qualifications and something is holding you back
Reply 2
I’m in the same boat! Graduated in July and working in a PT role that won’t get me far. I’ve been applying since I’ve graduated and haven’t been lucky either.

I wouldn’t worry or overthink things too much. Although it’s annoying you have to keep applying and trying your luck, in the end someone is bound to hire you. Maybe it’d be worth changing/updating your CV to make it look better. Reaching out to companies/recruiters on LinkedIn?

Don’t give up! Keep trying :smile: I’m starting to become impatient but still hopeful that I’ll get a job some time soon! Best of luck
Reply 3
Sadly everyone is in the same boat. The only advice we can offer is to have a look at your CV/cover letters in the appropriate forums, and perhaps get someone to look at how you fill in the application forms. Also practice those psychometric tests.
I was in a similar position a few months ago. Don't stop applying. And also try to get more work experience while doing that. It can be anything from volunteering, to being proactive and emailing around to shadow people or applying for internships. The problem is for every job you apply there's more than a dozen (for grad schemes many, many more) candidates who are also going for that role, and who also have firsts. What really sets you apart is your experience and how that has helped to develop the skills necessary for the job. And it doesn't have to be finance related. Skills like teamwork are applicable to most jobs.
Reply 5
Original post by Julessso
I’m in the same boat! Graduated in July and working in a PT role that won’t get me far. I’ve been applying since I’ve graduated and haven’t been lucky either.

I wouldn’t worry or overthink things too much. Although it’s annoying you have to keep applying and trying your luck, in the end someone is bound to hire you. Maybe it’d be worth changing/updating your CV to make it look better. Reaching out to companies/recruiters on LinkedIn?

Don’t give up! Keep trying :smile: I’m starting to become impatient but still hopeful that I’ll get a job some time soon! Best of luck

Thank you, do you have LinkedIn?
Reply 6
Original post by starrymoon
I was in a similar position a few months ago. Don't stop applying. And also try to get more work experience while doing that. It can be anything from volunteering, to being proactive and emailing around to shadow people or applying for internships. The problem is for every job you apply there's more than a dozen (for grad schemes many, many more) candidates who are also going for that role, and who also have firsts. What really sets you apart is your experience and how that has helped to develop the skills necessary for the job. And it doesn't have to be finance related. Skills like teamwork are applicable to most jobs.

Have you managed to get a grad job? Also, when did you graduate and in what field?

Thanks
Have you managed to get a grad job? Also, when did you graduate and in what field?

Thanks

I'm in a grad scheme at a pharmaceutical company and I studied biomedical science. I graduated in August this year.
Reply 8
Original post by starrymoon
I'm in a grad scheme at a pharmaceutical company and I studied biomedical science. I graduated in August this year.

Im guessing you applied to grad schemes during your final year... that is the mistake I made. i was too focused on studies and I didn't apply to any :frown:
Reply 9
Im guessing you applied to grad schemes during your final year... that is the mistake I made. i was too focused on studies and I didn't apply to any :frown:

Even if you had done, its all a lottery about whether you get in. You probably wouldn't have. It feels like someone is just rolling a pair of dice to decide. The tests are rubbish The feedback is hilariously bad. We are all in an endless cycle. "Its gets easier" says some people. I will be out of work for another year or two now, 100% certain about that. It will still be my fault though, thats how all those people at HR will see it.
Try shelf stacking. My wife has a degree in chemistry and my son is a doctor... they both work in supermarkets and I work in a stables. On the upside... I'm now good with horses. Arse in your face... get out of the way... NOW!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Vinny C
Try shelf stacking. My wife has a degree in chemistry and my son is a doctor... they both work in supermarkets and I work in a stables. On the upside... I'm now good with horses. Arse in your face... get out of the way... NOW!

I use to work in a supermarket so it is something I can do. I was under the impression however, that they only hire 16 year olds because its cheaper.
Got to stand out. Go the extra mile. Don't sell yourself short. Confidence. It's a dog-eat-dog world.

There's always pizza delivery.
(edited 4 years ago)
I'm not 100% sure so this could all be nonsense, but finance jobs are being cut. For example, Deutsche Bank has been cutting down on their investment bank division and other firms are restructuring. Getting a financial job at the moment seems to be difficult, especially with an expected recession.

Again, I could he wrong but I'm interested to hear any criticism to what I've said.
Reply 14
Original post by Lightning-Strike
I'm not 100% sure so this could all be nonsense, but finance jobs are being cut. For example, Deutsche Bank has been cutting down on their investment bank division and other firms are restructuring. Getting a financial job at the moment seems to be difficult, especially with an expected recession.

Again, I could he wrong but I'm interested to hear any criticism to what I've said.

This is seriously like the worst news for me. :frown: I hope I can get a job man. Thanks for passing on your info anyway!
Original post by 0le
This is seriously like the worst news for me. :frown: I hope I can get a job man. Thanks for passing on your info anyway!

You're welcome. I think the best thing you can do is to keep applying for jobs, get internships or whatever other experience you can get. Also be willing to move around the country.

Honestly, I think you'll be fine. You've got a first so that's a big plus. Keep going at it. I'm sure you can do it. I believe in you.

All the best to you 🙂👍
Original post by 0le
I use to work in a supermarket so it is something I can do. I was under the impression however, that they only hire 16 year olds because its cheaper.

They hire anyone who fits... even graduates. Horses don't mind who they kick either... arse in face... get out of the way! Primary weapon is armed! Move or lose your head.
(edited 4 years ago)

Actually, every grad scheme I applied to during my final year I got rejected from. This is why you should keep applying for jobs; every time you apply you'll have a better understanding of how to improve yourself as a candidate. Keep trying to find more work experience as well. You also have retail experience: as long as you can demonstrate the skills you've learned from that and how they are applicable to the job, you'll look good. Also a lot of ot surprisingly comes down to how well you'll fit in with the team, so seem friendly and have a positive attitude during interviews. Also people say not to do this as it can make you seem robotic, but have a memorised/semi memorized answer for all sort competency based questions and know your cv inside out, just remember to make it sound natural.
Reply 18
I am in the same boat have postrgraduate degree struggling too I am experienced too don't give up perservere and learn from the failures how to learn about your self the test are to test your ability and to identify suitability for job , if you stay motivated I am sure with your perserverence you will attain your dream job, everything take time patients to master the perfect thing so don't give up good luck everyone on same boat
Reply 19
Original post by Vinny C
Beware the horse tracking you with its bum... targeting!

wtf are you on about. Piss off from here with your bs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending