The Student Room Group

Why Would Anyone VOTE LABOUR?!

I am at a crossroad when it comes to deciding on who to vote. I just cannot get my head around Labours tax policies.

Some of the proposed tax elements I have an issue with, which I deem as economically nonviable and would love to be told otherwise.

1) Tax on 2 homes - Sounds like a tax on success in all honesty, buy-to-let is a huge business in this country and provides plenty of individuals with houses on rent. By putting a tax on landlords will effectively mean a reduction in people willing to buy houses to let them out. Now the argument that people will make is that this will drive house prices down; not necessarily, in fact it is very unlikely that people will actually sell their property for cheap, rather landlords will simply increase rent in order to of-set the tax/rent difference.

2) Corporation Tax at 26% - Quite simply this is probably the most ridiculous policy. The high-street is quite literally dying out and Labour want to increase tax. This country is desperate for investment and increasing the tax on businesses is hardly going to make individuals open shop in this country. In addition, where profits fall for businesses below a certain threshold companies will start to axe jobs to offset the difference.

3) Income Tax - I notice in his speech Corbyn mentioned those who would "win" but failed to mention doctors. Seems plausible as they will be the big losers as most of them will see a huge tax rise when the 45p and 50p bands are lowered.

4) 20% tax on private healthcare - WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU TAX SOMEONE FOR THIS????

5) Inheritance Tax - Work hard your whole life and want to give your kids a gift? - NOPE CANT DO THAT

I have never had someone sensibly debate labours tax policy and I am actually hoping someone can persuade me to vote labour - as quite honestly their manifesto does have some good ideas. However, it seems they are just that, ideas, with little to no chance of fruition.

Scroll to see replies

Labour's economic policy may be summarised as:

laborfish.jpg

new face, same old ****

:rolleyes:
Reply 2
Original post by DuIl
I have never had someone sensibly debate labours tax policy and I am actually hoping someone can persuade me to vote labour - as quite honestly their manifesto does have some good ideas. However, it seems they are just that, ideas, with little to no chance of fruition.

A quick reply would be... those that work hard will still earn more than those who don't (please allow me the simplification), it is just that under Labour's taxation strategy they would earn a bit less than they might have done under the current system.

I guess it largely comes down to how much you agree with redistribution of wealth/assets.
Reply 3
Original post by Pigster
A quick reply would be... those that work hard will still earn more than those who don't (please allow me the simplification), it is just that under Labour's taxation strategy they would earn a bit less than they might have done under the current system.

I guess it largely comes down to how much you agree with redistribution of wealth/assets.

Granted, but the issue is that you are effectively saying that those earning more are willing to sacrifice that money. In addition, I would counter your point regarding earning more, if you effectively tax the high earners to a point where their earnings are on par or close enough to everyone else, who in their right mind would take top positions when there is almost the same money being made doing something far easier.

I think it is quite easy to call war on CEOs but how many people who criticise them have actually seen the stress, hard work and commitment it actually takes to run a successful company. It is easy for Corbyn to say he will further tax "fat cat bosses" but will these bosses just sit around and let him? I doubt it.

Redistribution of wealth is already too high right now, to further increase it is ludicrous.
Reply 4
Original post by the bear
Labour's economic policy may be summarised as:

laborfish.jpg

new face, same old ****

:rolleyes:

I just cannot fathom labours tax policy, I have quite literally spent 2 days trying to figure out what on earth this man is smoking.

Wants to improve NHS and hire more doctors but wants to persuade more doctors but imposing higher tax on them? I cant make it make sense.
In 2011 Panorama revealed the abuse at a MH care home called Winterbourne View. The Tories promised action to end the human rights abuse and torture of autistic people.

Today the Joint Human Rights Committee published a report on the human rights abuse and torture of autistic people in our MH hospitals.

8 years and no change, time to vote for a party that might put an end to the suffering. Libdems will never get a majority, Labour has a chance.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by DuIl
I am at a crossroad when it comes to deciding on who to vote. I just cannot get my head around Labours tax policies.

Some of the proposed tax elements I have an issue with, which I deem as economically nonviable and would love to be told otherwise.

1) Tax on 2 homes - Sounds like a tax on success in all honesty, buy-to-let is a huge business in this country and provides plenty of individuals with houses on rent. By putting a tax on landlords will effectively mean a reduction in people willing to buy houses to let them out. Now the argument that people will make is that this will drive house prices down; not necessarily, in fact it is very unlikely that people will actually sell their property for cheap, rather landlords will simply increase rent in order to of-set the tax/rent difference.

2) Corporation Tax at 26% - Quite simply this is probably the most ridiculous policy. The high-street is quite literally dying out and Labour want to increase tax. This country is desperate for investment and increasing the tax on businesses is hardly going to make individuals open shop in this country. In addition, where profits fall for businesses below a certain threshold companies will start to axe jobs to offset the difference.

3) Income Tax - I notice in his speech Corbyn mentioned those who would "win" but failed to mention doctors. Seems plausible as they will be the big losers as most of them will see a huge tax rise when the 45p and 50p bands are lowered.

4) 20% tax on private healthcare - WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU TAX SOMEONE FOR THIS????

5) Inheritance Tax - Work hard your whole life and want to give your kids a gift? - NOPE CANT DO THAT

As you are focused on Labour’s tax proposals, you are ignoring the shambles that is the Tory Government. For 9 years, we have known nothing but absolute pain from the State due to austerity, Universal credit and a vicious attack on the public services. Yet, people like you are focused on the Labour Party.

Voting Labour is one of the good things one can do for the country. For the many, not the few!
Original post by DuIl
I just cannot fathom labours tax policy, I have quite literally spent 2 days trying to figure out what on earth this man is smoking.

Wants to improve NHS and hire more doctors but wants to persuade more doctors but imposing higher tax on them? I cant make it make sense.

welcome to the world of Labor. they tax vindictively and spend the money on vanity projects then after wrecking the economy they slink away to leave the grownups to clean up their ****.
Reply 8
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
In 2011 Panorama revealed the abuse at a MH care home called Winterbourne View. The Tories promised action to end the human rights abuse and torture of autistic people.

Today the Joint Human Rights Committee published a report on the human rights abuse and torture of autistic people in our MH hospitals.

8 years and no change, time to vote for a party that might put an end to the suffering. Libdems will never get a majority, Labour has a chance.

Quite literally EVERY SINGLE labour supporter has changed topic when questioned about taxation. Please stick to the question asked.
Reply 9
Original post by Wired_1800
As you are focused on Labour’s tax proposals, you are ignoring the shambles that is the Tory Government. For 9 years, we have known nothing but absolute pain from the State due to austerity, Universal credit and a vicious attack on the public services. Yet, people like you are focused on the Labour Party.

Voting Labour is one of the good things one can do for the country. For the many, not the few!

But the "few" is who labour are using to fund their manifesto, what if the "few" get tired of labours BS and up and leave, what next, sir?
Original post by DuIl
Quite literally EVERY SINGLE labour supporter has changed topic when questioned about taxation. Please stick to the question asked.

Your question was "Why Would Anyone VOTE LABOUR?!". I answered that question.

I don't care about their taxation regime most of the more extreme policies wouldn't make it through parliament. I care about the very real suffering of people right now.
Reply 11
Your question was "Why Would Anyone VOTE LABOUR?!". I answered that question.

I don't care about their taxation regime most of the more extreme policies wouldn't make it through parliament. I care about the very real suffering of people right now.

So if the very policies they are relying on to "stop the suffering" dont make it through parliament then how exactly are you planning on achieving your goal? :confused:
Original post by DuIl
So if the very policies they are relying on to "stop the suffering" dont make it through parliament then how exactly are you planning on achieving your goal? :confused:

As said in my post it is entirely based on hope for change because that is best we get as voters.
Reply 13
As said in my post it is entirely based on hope for change because that is best we get as voters.

Im sorry WHAT???? You are going to take a punt and hope it works and if it doesnt risk leaving the very people you are trying to help in a far worse position.

Amazing.
Well since you already have your prejudices and will not be persuaded by any point that is directed at you this thread that you have started feels a bit pointless.
Labour's taxation policies reflect their belief in distribution of wealth as a means to create a more egalitarian society, fair enough this undermines the incentive to work hard in our current meritocratic society, but it is fundamental to understand the importance of this upcoming election for the safety of our NHS and various other public services. Let us be clear, it isn't going to be the Liberal Democrats, The Greens or the The SNP who form a government but under FPTP it is bound to result in either a Conservative government or a Labour government. The Conservatives under Thatcherite leaders like Johnson will continue with their agenda of austerity and further their neoliberal ambitions, the alternative is where we have to choose the party that emphasises on the more human element of politics, you have every right to dispute that claim but in its essence, there are only 2 clear options on the table; to maintain the status quo and thus accept the brutal implementation of austerity measures and give the government a mandate to continue with them, or to reform our political system so that it works for the many and not just the few.

I myself am a Blairite and therefore am quite distant to Corbynite politics, but when our NHS, Education System and other essential services are on the line, when our frontline workers such as the Junior Doctors, nurses, firefighters are let down continuously, I feel it being a moral duty to suck it up and side with Corbyn's Labour as a way to defeat this current government.
Original post by DuIl

1) Tax on 2 homes - Sounds like a tax on success in all honesty

More like a sensible way to deal with the problem of insufficient affordable housing.
Original post by DuIl
Im sorry WHAT???? You are going to take a punt and hope it works and if it doesnt risk leaving the very people you are trying to help in a far worse position.

Amazing.

How else would you suggest changing the regulatory framework of Autistic Healthcare in MH hospitals?
People will vote Labour because the Tories are just as bad. It's like the US election, you will vote for who you think is the lesser of two evils. Also my only "tactical" vote is to vote for Labour. If I vote for anyone other than Labour or Tory, I'm throwing my vote away. This is why the voting for an MP is really frustrating.
Reply 18
How else would you suggest changing the regulatory framework of Autistic Healthcare in MH hospitals?

With all due respect, I have very little knowledge of the issue you are raising. However, I am guessing the issue is with funding? If so then there would obviously need to be an increase in funding, HOWEVER, said increase would need to be properly thought of.

I suspect this is an issue which is personal to you, by increasing or promising to increase funding gives individuals false sense of hope when the realistic chance of said funding is close to zero.

Original post by eclipseboi
More like a sensible way to deal with the problem of insufficient affordable housing.

Completely untrue. Raising tax on second properties is going to increase rent prices. The problem with most of labours policies is it relies on the wealthy to fall and succumb to labour, they wont.
Tragic Grandpa may pretend that he cares for the British People. his ultimate objective is to produce a Marxist revolution.

Quick Reply