The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Official OXFORD 2020 Postgraduate Applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

After the November deadline, when the department starts to consider our applications, does self-service show the different stages of the selection process? Or will it just change from under review to offer/rejection?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 21
- Current University: UCL
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 1st
- Prospective Course: MSc Russian & East European Studies
- Prospective College: Unsure
- Fun fact/extracurricular activities: Looking for good gyms in and around Oxford as I love bodybuilding
Current University: Oxford
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: Hopefully first (in PPE). Got a distinction in prelims and we don't have second year exams.
- Prospective Course: BPhil Philosophy
- Prospective College: not sure yet - considering a few different options

I really really really want to get onto the BPhil, it is just very very competitive :/ even though I am at Oxford already, I don't really want to go anywhere else cause the BPhil course is just very appealing (I know some people say that experiencing different places is important, so I hope that is not going to be a problem..) - I am also applying to UCL, KCL (MPhil Stud), St Andrews (MLitt), Edinburgh (MSc) and Cambridge (MPhil). However other than Oxford and the BPhil I am not quite happy with either of them cause I like the two year masters (which are essentially Oxford and the MPhilStuds in London) but I don't really want to live in London...
I am currently also very lost with the whole application process so we will see how that goes :biggrin:
Hi everyone!

So my story is a bit complicated! I was accepted into a masters programme in 2016 but i withdrew my application as I was unable to find funding. I received a scholarship at another international university in Europe and completed a masters there. During that, I applied for the DPhil for which I was shortlisted but eventually was not selected. Last year I applied for a masters again but was rejected from the beginning. My question is: Both times I have been accepted/shortlisted suggests that my grades are good enough but should I try again? I am still interested in the subjects that I applied but I am having doubts about going through the tough process again!!! So your thoughts/experiences are most welcome and appreciated!!!!!
Unfortunately no experience on that point. However, why are you applying for a second Master's? If you were shortlisted for the DPhil, your standard is obviously good enough to be competitive. I'd recommend learning from your past applications and trying again, assuming that is what you want to do.

- Current University: QUB
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: UG: 1st, Master's: PD
- Prospective Course: DPhil in History (Medieval)
- Prospective College: Exeter
- Fun fact/extracurricular activities: I enjoy reading and writing. But let's face it, who doesn't on the PG forums?

I attempted an application for Oxford last year, but am confident my current application is much stronger.

However, I was wondering if anyone knew the timeline for funding? I haven't heard back from all my referees yet, and my research proposal is still being developed so I don't want to email my potential supervisor at Oxford just yet.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Private, I
Unfortunately no experience on that point. However, why are you applying for a second Master's? If you were shortlisted for the DPhil, your standard is obviously good enough to be competitive. I'd recommend learning from your past applications and trying again, assuming that is what you want to do.

- Fun fact/extracurricular activities: I enjoy reading and writing. But let's face it, who doesn't on the PG forums?

I attempted an application for Oxford last year, but am confident my current application is much stronger.

However, I was wondering if anyone knew the timeline for funding? I haven't heard back from all my referees yet, and my research proposal is still being developed so I don't want to email my potential supervisor at Oxford just yet.

I think in previous years Clarendons have come out early April? Based on last years' forum. I'm not sure when things like the departmental scholarships would be awarded though- presumably after they know about the Clarendons?

Good luck!
Original post by Private, I

Thank you for this! I have contacted a few supervisors for the DPhil, still have not heard back from them though! I am keen on the DPhil and have been working hard this past year to improve my CV (publications, experience relative to the field). I guess I am hesitant because I didn't make it through last time and have began to start doubting myself but thank you, this is encouraging.

Regarding the funding, I am not quite sure, I know Clarendon is in early April, and departmental funding depends on the department. Some will hear by February and some a bit later. I hope it all works out for you this time!!!
Reply 27
Hi there,

I'm strongly considering applying for DPhil Politics. The entry requirements state that the threshold is a high upper-second class degree for undergraduate. I received 67% in Ancient History for my undergraduate degree from the University of Bristol. I achieved a first-class mark in my undergraduate dissertation (2nd year grades dragged my overall classification down, and my transcript demonstrates year-on-year improvement). I also hold a distinction in MSc Political Theory from LSE, with a distinction in the dissertation. I also achieved 43 IB points in 6th form, for what that's worth at this stage of my academic career.

I was wondering whether, even though my undergraduate degree grade is at the lowest possible end of the admissions spectrum, my more relevant masters degree would count for more.

Essentially, I'm wondering whether I would still stand a good chance of DPhil Politics admissions success for Oxford with my academic record.

Thanks!
OK guys, what do you do if you reach out to a potential supervisor and they just don't respond?!! It's frustrating because they instruct you to reach out but the supervisors just don't answer emails!!!!!

Any thoughts, experiences or advice?
Reply 29
Original post by chtt99
I'm strongly considering applying for DPhil Politics. The entry requirements state that the threshold is a high upper-second class degree for undergraduate. I received 67% in Ancient History for my undergraduate degree from the University of Bristol. I achieved a first-class mark in my undergraduate dissertation (2nd year grades dragged my overall classification down, and my transcript demonstrates year-on-year improvement). I also hold a distinction in MSc Political Theory from LSE, with a distinction in the dissertation. I also achieved 43 IB points in 6th form, for what that's worth at this stage of my academic career.

I was wondering whether, even though my undergraduate degree grade is at the lowest possible end of the admissions spectrum, my more relevant masters degree would count for more.

Essentially, I'm wondering whether I would still stand a good chance of DPhil Politics admissions success for Oxford with my academic record.

The master's degree will certainly count, and you have a very positive trajectory. (The IB marks are unlikely to interest anyone, and you need not include them on your CV unless one or more involve relevant skills (e.g. a language?).) My guess is that you would make a competitive application. I'm not sure, however, that you're going to get any more useful or precise answers than that.

Doctoral applications involve thinking about the specific project you're going to tackle, your fit with the institution, the timeliness of your ideas, &c, so there're quite a lot of unquantifiable factors. Then there are outright unknowable factors, such as the general strength of the field of applications that year. It's natural to want to know whether it will be worth the trouble & expense of applying, but there is only one system which can accurately work that out for you, and that's the application process itself. Now would be a good time to start getting used to dealing with unknowns, which you'll have to do plenty of if you do a doctorate in politics anyway.

Original post by faba0022
OK guys, what do you do if you reach out to a potential supervisor and they just don't respond?!! It's frustrating because they instruct you to reach out but the supervisors just don't answer emails!!!!!

Any thoughts, experiences or advice?

If it's been a decent interval (ten days, say), then one polite followup email will do you no harm. Some people will just be very busy at present because of the short, intense teaching term, and they might not be dealing rapidly with emails which don't relate directly to immediate teaching deadlines.

If you wait again and don't get a response within a decent interval after chasing them up once, then perhaps that's an indication that they might not be a terribly engaged supervisor anyway.
Original post by QHF
The master's degree will certainly count, and you have a very positive trajectory. (The IB marks are unlikely to interest anyone, and you need not include them on your CV unless one or more involve relevant skills (e.g. a language?).) My guess is that you would make a competitive application. I'm not sure, however, that you're going to get any more useful or precise answers than that.

Doctoral applications involve thinking about the specific project you're going to tackle, your fit with the institution, the timeliness of your ideas, &c, so there're quite a lot of unquantifiable factors. Then there are outright unknowable factors, such as the general strength of the field of applications that year. It's natural to want to know whether it will be worth the trouble & expense of applying, but there is only one system which can accurately work that out for you, and that's the application process itself. Now would be a good time to start getting used to dealing with unknowns, which you'll have to do plenty of if you do a doctorate in politics anyway.

If it's been a decent interval (ten days, say), then one polite followup email will do you no harm. Some people will just be very busy at present because of the short, intense teaching term, and they might not be dealing rapidly with emails which don't relate directly to immediate teaching deadlines.

If you wait again and don't get a response within a decent interval after chasing them up once, then perhaps that's an indication that they might not be a terribly engaged supervisor anyway.

Thanks for your reply!!

I want to apply for a DPhil that is advertised as doctoral projects open for this year's application. I just fail to see the point of advertising positions/projects and encouraging applicants to contact the supervisor before submitting an application if they are just not going to respond! If they are not engaged supervisors why advertise?!!!!!

Interestingly enough, the DPhil I was shortlisted for in 2018, I had not contacted the professor and simply applied (perhaps why I was not ultimately given an offer), which is why I am persistent especially since this particular project that I am interested in, aligns well with my professional and educational backgrounds.
Reply 31
Original post by faba0022
I just fail to see the point of advertising positions/projects and encouraging applicants to contact the supervisor before submitting an application if they are just not going to respond! If they are not engaged supervisors why advertise?!!!!!

It definitely is frustrating. But doctoral opportunities exist and get advertised because academics win grants, not necessarily because those academics answer emails rapidly. If it's something you're particularly well-suited for, it might be worth persisting through the frustration.
- Current University: McGill University in Canada
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: Equivalent of a First
- Prospective Course: MSt Classical Archaeology
- Prospective College: Lincoln College
Fun fact/extracurricular activities: Spent a semester studying at UCL last year during my undergrad and loved it. For my Master's, I'm really interested in understanding the ways in which the visual language of Roman Aegyptica materials communicated social capital across the Roman Empire. I've spent time excavating in Southern Italy and in other areas around the Mediterranean as well! I also enjoy running/hiking/anything outdoors (typical Canadian I know) and attempting to learn too many languages at once.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 33
Hi everyone!

I'm also applying for a graduate course in archaeology but for a different one:smile:

Current University: University of Barcelona
- Prospective Course: MSc Archaeological Science
- Prospective College: Kellogg College
- Fun fact/extracurricular activities: two fellowships and one internship related to my field. I've dug in multiple sites both in Spain and in Italy and last year I was a volunteer at the EAA 2019 held in Barcelona.
I enjoy learning new languages as well and I would like to take up Arabic and Hebrew lessons in the future.

Best of luck with your applications!
Original post by Ayla14
Hi everyone!

I'm also applying for a graduate course in archaeology but for a different one:smile:

Current University: University of Barcelona
- Prospective Course: MSc Archaeological Science
- Prospective College: Kellogg College
- Fun fact/extracurricular activities: two fellowships and one internship related to my field. I've dug in multiple sites both in Spain and in Italy and last year I was a volunteer at the EAA 2019 held in Barcelona.
I enjoy learning new languages as well and I would like to take up Arabic and Hebrew lessons in the future.

Best of luck with your applications!

So cool! Great to find another archaeologist :biggrin: Best of luck to you too!
- Current University: Newcastle, English literature and Linguistics
- Expected Grade: First
- Prospective Course: English Literature from 1900
- Prospective College: Undecided
- Fun fact/extracurricular activities: Student newspaper

Has anyone got any examples of personal statements at all? I have never seen a post-grad personal statement and have no idea what it should look like or where to start. Any tips/help would be much appreciated!
Reply 36
Do you know if Masters degree can help you to get a scholarship in Oxford? I applied last year for DPhil in Chemistry and I got a place, but unfortunately without funding so I was forced to reject it. This year I have 2 more co-authored high-impact papers and I pursue Masters degree in Cambridge. Do you think it will drastically increase my chances for Clarendon?
- Current University: LSE, MSc Behavioural Science (undergrad in Poli Sci at NYU)
- Expected Grade: Distinction for the MSc, 3.6/4.0 for BA
- Prospective Course: Dphil in Internet, Communication, and the Social Sciences at the OII (part-time)
- Prospective College: Balliol
- Fun fact/extracurricular activities: Worked in tech for a while (venture capital startup operations), grew up in China, South Korea, US, Canada, and lived/worked in France, Denmark, UK, speak four languages fluently (thought I don't think this is as impressive as some of the others)

Not sure about my chances considering part-time nature, but fingers crossed!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Patagonia
Applied to the MSc in Modern South Asian Studies. Good luck everyone!

Hi! I am applying to the MSt in Traditional China Studies
- Current University: Melbourne uni
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 2:1
- Prospective Course: DPhil in medical sciences
- Prospective College: St Catz or Keble
- Fun fact/extracurricular activities: This is the only course I'm applying for overseas so I'm kind of worried that a 2:1 won't cut it for my course or funding there.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending