The Student Room Group

[Official] Oxford PPE Applicants 2020

Hi, I’ve seen a few of you on the Oxford TSA thread, but thought we could have our own ...

Subject currently studying:
Predicted Grades:
GCSE grades:
Other unis applied to:

How are you guys feeling?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good idea. I'm from Canada but still hoping to meet many of you this December!

Subject currently studying: AP Calculus, AP Physics, AP Chemistry, AP English, Philosophy, AP World History
Predicted Grades: 95/100 (ontario curriculum, probably wont make sense to most of you guys)
GCSE grades: N/A
APs: Micro+macroeconomics, Calculus BC, Human Geography, Comparative Government, US History
Other unis applied to: 4 out of other G5s and Edinburgh. PPE for all of them. I've also applied to US and Canadian universities :smile:

Feeling so nervous right now because there's not a single person went to Oxford PPE interview in the past 5 years at my school - I don't think the tutors understand canadian contexts really well and if I screwed up the TSA I would be done for
Original post by haoji_xu
Good idea. I'm from Canada but still hoping to meet many of you this December!

Subject currently studying: AP Calculus, AP Physics, AP Chemistry, AP English, Philosophy, AP World History
Predicted Grades: 95/100 (ontario curriculum, probably wont make sense to most of you guys)
APs: Micro+macroeconomics, Calculus BC, Human Geography, Comparative Government, US History
Other unis applied to: 4 out of other G5s and Edinburgh. PPE for all of them. I've also applied to US and Canadian universities :smile:

Feeling so nervous right now because there's not a single person went to Oxford PPE interview in the past 5 years at my school - I don't think the tutors understand canadian contexts really well and if I screwed up the TSA I would be done for

My school used to get in people for PPE, and it’s the same for us that no one has gotten into Oxford PPE for years now. It seems like you’re quite a strong candidate though - particularly with the maths!
Original post by Mc444
I go to school in the U.S.

Subject currently studying: Multivariable calculus, global issues (my school has a weird curriculum), AP Chemistry
Predicted Grades:5 on AP econ
AP: 5s on Calc BC, Bio
Other unis applied to: just ones in the U.S :smile:

Literally no one from my school (small public) has ever applied to Oxford so I don’t have anything to base any predictions on :/

Anyone know what TSA score we need for the interview and how important Section 2 (the essay is)? Thanks!

Score for interview is about 70. How did u do? How many marks did u think u lost?
Original post by bob smith122333
Score for interview is about 70. How did u do? How many marks did u think u lost?

I thought for the interview any score in the high 60s is decent - to actually get in, the average score of an offer holder for PPE was around 40/50 for Section 1.

This years’ TSA was so hard- I think it was just more time pressured rather than the questions being more difficult, imho. Looking at the TSA thread, I’ve got minimum 8 wrong so far, so it’s not looking good. How do you guys feel?
Reply 5
Haha I took so many practice tests and how I felt never really correlated to how I actually did. I felt this test was really hard, though, and I guessed on ~3 and got at least 5 wrong.

Original post by TheStudent'sDoom
I thought for the interview any score in the high 60s is decent - to actually get in, the average score of an offer holder for PPE was around 40/50 for Section 1.

This years’ TSA was so hard- I think it was just more time pressured rather than the questions being more difficult, imho. Looking at the TSA thread, I’ve got minimum 8 wrong so far, so it’s not looking good. How do you guys feel?

when u mean average score of offer holder being 40/50 that's a mark not a score so what type of score is needed?? I know I got 5 defo wrong and guessed about 7 more so its peak
Original post by Mc444
Haha I took so many practice tests and how I felt never really correlated to how I actually did. I felt this test was really hard, though, and I guessed on ~3 and got at least 5 wrong.

My issue is that it’s so difficult to gauge how people did - every year, people are going to say it’s “the hardest they’ve ever done”, yet the trend sets the mark for interview and acceptance higher and higher each year. A few years ago, getting something like 34 would get you in, and now it’s more like 39. Argh
when u mean average score of offer holder being 40/50 that's a mark not a score so what type of score is needed?? I know I got 5 defo wrong and guessed about 7 more so its peak

40/50 is roughly 74 in score. Ofc the weighting of the questions (where getting a question wrong or right gives you a different mark based on how many other people for it wrong or right) matters so getting 40 questions if you got all the difficult questions correct would score you more like 76, and vice versa. Really hoping I accidentally got the I credibly difficult ones correct haha.
Dw about the guessing I actually had to tick a random box for question 44 without having read the question at all because I ran out of time.
40/50 is roughly 74 in score. Ofc the weighting of the questions (where getting a question wrong or right gives you a different mark based on how many other people for it wrong or right) matters so getting 40 questions if you got all the difficult questions correct would score you more like 76, and vice versa. Really hoping I accidentally got the I credibly difficult ones correct haha.
Dw about the guessing I actually had to tick a random box for question 44 without having read the question at all because I ran out of time.

so u didn't read just one question? I fully didn't read 6.
Reply 10
Hey guys does anyone know when roughly the PPE interview invitations go out? And so the application rejections go out the same time? Or do you just not get a notification
so u didn't read just one question? I fully didn't read 6.

Usually I get to at least glance over a question before putting something down but I have no idea what that question even looked like. I guessed at least 7 questions.
Seriously looking at the TSA thread I’m fairly sure I did the worst out of everyone who’s posted . I’m begging that this year, a 70 score is 37 marks so I can scrape an interview and somehow magically blow them away with a previously-unseen eloquence.
Original post by jirr44
Hey guys does anyone know when roughly the PPE interview invitations go out? And so the application rejections go out the same time? Or do you just not get a notification

I think the interview invitations tend to come out end of November (they should be before a week prior to the interviews themselves, which start on the 8th). I’m guessing the rejections happen at the same time. Doubt they’re all sent out on the same day, but I’m not sure.
Reply 13
Usually I get to at least glance over a question before putting something down but I have no idea what that question even looked like. I guessed at least 7 questions.
Seriously looking at the TSA thread I’m fairly sure I did the worst out of everyone who’s posted . I’m begging that this year, a 70 score is 37 marks so I can scrape an interview and somehow magically blow them away with a previously-unseen eloquence.

I think a lot of us think we did the worst haha... including me. And it infuriates me because my grades are already semi-ideal and this could've been my chance to convince them as I did really well on past papers. But this time I had to guess at least 8 and even a lot of the ones I didnt guess seem wrong in hindsight. Lets just hope that most people did badly...

so u think I got about 42/50. thatll probs be like 75. also when u mean guessed dye mean like it was 50/50 between two answers or just didn't have a clue what to put
Original post by jirr44
I think a lot of us think we did the worst haha... including me. And it infuriates me because my grades are already semi-ideal and this could've been my chance to convince them as I did really well on past papers. But this time I had to guess at least 8 and even a lot of the ones I didnt guess seem wrong in hindsight. Lets just hope that most people did badly...

Oh same I was really relying on the TSA to make up for everything else that isn’t favourable about my application (private school, very pushy private school where everyone else applying for PPE has better gcse and predicteds, maths at a standard unis cant agree constitutes a full A level or not). Seriously I’m just hoping that some admin accidentally sends me an interview invite and I hypnotise the tutors.
so u think I got about 42/50. thatll probs be like 75. also when u mean guessed dye mean like it was 50/50 between two answers or just didn't have a clue what to put

Between two answers for about 3, maybe like 5 I had no idea. For some reason I found a lot of the numerical reasoning ones difficult, which hadn’t really been an issue before.
are you saying that you got around 42/50? If you did, that’s amazing- if you do well at interview there’s no reason that you won’t get in.
Between two answers for about 3, maybe like 5 I had no idea. For some reason I found a lot of the numerical reasoning ones difficult, which hadn’t really been an issue before.
are you saying that you got around 42/50? If you did, that’s amazing- if you do well at interview there’s no reason that you won’t get in.

nah mate no chance I got 42/50. I didntr even read 8 qs. ill probs get about 37/38 which I hope is enough for interview then perhaps dazzle the dons at the interview :wink:
nah mate no chance I got 42/50. I didntr even read 8 qs. ill probs get about 37/38 which I hope is enough for interview then perhaps dazzle the dons at the interview :wink:

I meant *u think u got 42/50
also u know for that glass cube question did anyone get the one that looked like a window?? B I think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending