The Student Room Group

Hair loss

hey
I’ve been dealing with hair loss for most of my life and I’m only 16 (girl).
It’s been heat damaged and product damaged quite a lot but recently I’ve noticed it’s getting thinner at the root. It’s noticeable and I hate it. It makes me feel super insecure. The roots are too visible and it doesn’t seem like it’s ever going to change. Does anyone one know how I can battle this and grow my hair back?
Have you stopped using heat on it? And by product damage do you mean hair dye or? First step would be to avoid all of that, I'd imagine.
Reply 2
Original post by Precious Illusions
Have you stopped using heat on it? And by product damage do you mean hair dye or? First step would be to avoid all of that, I'd imagine.

I stopped using heat ages ago and I’ve never dyed my hair. I meant things like hair spray on my hair line and tight pony tails constantly when I was younger.
Original post by venuschild
I stopped using heat ages ago and I’ve never dyed my hair. I meant things like hair spray on my hair line and tight pony tails constantly when I was younger.

I would stop doing anything (including blow drying) to help prevent further damage (if you still do the above, but it sounds like you don't).
I'd have a google online for products that are right for what's going on with your hair
Reply 4
Original post by AzureCeleste
I would stop doing anything (including blow drying) to help prevent further damage (if you still do the above, but it sounds like you don't).
I'd have a google online for products that are right for what's going on with your hair

Stopped blow drying altogether two months ago but it just got worse :frown:
I’m taking vitamin E supplements but it’s only been a few days.
Should I get a doctors appointment to see what’s going on?
Stopped blow drying altogether two months ago but it just got worse :frown:
I’m taking vitamin E supplements but it’s only been a few days.
Should I get a doctors appointment to see what’s going on?

I would try and make a couple of changes first- like change to a shampoo/conditoner tailored towards hairloss or problems with roots. Maybe a volumising one if you can't find one? or find some sort of oil for it?
Although only you know how bad it is. I'd have a google around about reasons for hair loss or root problems and see if any may be the cause of yours- then make the necessary changes if you can before seeing a doctor...but that's just me
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
I would try and make a couple of changes first- like change to a shampoo/conditoner tailored towards hairloss or problems with roots. Maybe a volumising one if you can't find one? or find some sort of oil for it?
Although only you know how bad it is. I'd have a google around about reasons for hair loss or root problems and see if any may be the cause of yours- then make the necessary changes if you can before seeing a doctor...but that's just me

Nothing I try seems to work all too well. My hair is naturally dead straight and very thin, it’s just suddenly I’m noticing my roots are close to being a small train track. Google is just saying it’s stress of other issues that I need to see a doctor for to be guaranteed. I don’t wanna make assumptions you see. I’ll keep trying things out though. Thanks :smile:
Reply 7
NO conditioner... it simply lacquers hair. Is like varnishing a tree...looks nice and shiny but it can't breathe! My son was losing his hair until I told him to stop using conditioner.... now it's growing back.
(edited 4 years ago)
Hey! There are many factors for this.

It could your diet, lack of calcium and stress like you said.

Lee Stafford Hair Growth Shampoo and conditioner is the best thing invented since sliced bread. You hair will be thicker, longer and overall nice looking. Make sure you have a well balanced diet, do plenty of exercise and most importantly of all DRINK WATER. I cannot stress this enough!

You body is like a plant. Plants needs water and sunshine to grow, just like your hair does!

EDIT: You can buy this on Amazon or Boots. Supplements like biotin will work wonders too. It's good on fingernails
(edited 4 years ago)
Nothing I try seems to work all too well. My hair is naturally dead straight and very thin, it’s just suddenly I’m noticing my roots are close to being a small train track. Google is just saying it’s stress of other issues that I need to see a doctor for to be guaranteed. I don’t wanna make assumptions you see. I’ll keep trying things out though. Thanks :smile:

If you think it's a plausible reason then maybe try and de-stress??? Otherwise go to a pharmacy for advice on what to do- they will direct you to the GP if it is necessary
Original post by Vinny C
NO conditioner... it simply lacquers hair. Is like varnishing a tree...looks nice and shiny but it can't breathe!

Considering the problem is more the roots and you shouldn't put conditioner anywhere near it, I don't think that should be a problem. But could be worth stopping it all together
If you think it's a plausible reason then maybe try and de-stress??? Otherwise go to a pharmacy for advice on what to do- they will direct you to the GP if it is necessary

Considering the problem is more the roots and you shouldn't put conditioner anywhere near it, I don't think that should be a problem. But could be worth stopping it all together

Two way thing... the roots breathe through the hair. Varnishing the leaves of a tree would do it no favours either.
Original post by Vinny C
NO conditioner... it simply lacquers hair. Is like varnishing a tree...looks nice and shiny but it can't breathe! My son was losing his hair until I told him to stop using conditioner.... now it's growing back.

I only recently started using conditioner and I stopped using it a few days ago. It might’ve been the conditioner causing this dramatic change. Thank you so much for this info!!
Original post by harrisong12

Lee Stafford Hair Growth Shampoo and conditioner is the best thing invented since sliced bread. You hair will be thicker, longer and overall nice looking. Make sure you have a well balanced diet, do plenty of exercise and most importantly of all DRINK WATER. I cannot stress this enough!

You body is like a plant. Plants needs water and sunshine to grow, just like your hair does!

EDIT: You can buy this on Amazon or Boots. Supplements like biotin will work wonders too. It's good on fingernails

Thank you!! I’ll keep this in mind and I shall also look on Amazon for this “best thing invented since sliced bread” :smile:
See a trichologist.
Original post by harrisong12

But not varnish, especially plants. Hair is like a plant so treat it as such.
First of all identify if you have a deficiency in Vitamins. Start consuming tomatoes and huge amount of salad, also apply olive oil in your hair that will provide good moisture.
I guess you’re really up sh!t creek then.
Original post by ryandavis97
I guess you’re really up sh!t creek then.

You are capable of much better trolling than that. I believe in you 😃
Original post by YaliaV
You are capable of much better trolling than that. I believe in you 😃

Lol:rofl3:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending