The Student Room Group

Changing your name because people say it wrong constantly?

So, my birth name is a biblical name which would seem straightforward to me to pronounce, however when meeting new people I say my name, repeat the pronunciation multiple times and yet they will still say it wrong.

I am honestly really sick of people saying it wrong, ranging from teachers or even my own grandparents. It really lowers my already dwindling self-esteem. I'm sure you are thinking that just telling them in a friendly way would resolve the problem, however this is rarely the case.

At (previous)work, the manager said it 10 different ways on my first day, and I just told him to call me by a shorter version of my name. The same thing happened with a teacher where I kid you not five times I told him my name and the way he said it sounded like he had a severe speech impediment. Again, I gave up and told me to call me the shortened version. Being called by the shortened version is a problem as well because I hate that name. Even my own grandparents have said it incorrectly for my entire life, and my parents have never even told them they are saying it wrong.

Sorry if this is getting extremely vent-y, do you think changing it because people get it wrong is bad, or is it like giving in?

To some extent, I do kinda dislike my name, not just because people say it wrong, but it is an uncommon biblical name and I am not religious.

My plan is to legally replace my name with my middle name, as it is just easier, and hey, I like the sound of it more(I don't think I can state it here because of personal info).

It will also kinda help to change my current personality(which I hate) and really want to become a better person. I plan on changing my name as soon as I leave college, and start going by the new name when I start at University, and I am aware this is probably going to be expensive and a hassle to change legal documents.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by guiltyintrovert
So, my birth name is a biblical name which would seem straightforward to me to pronounce, however when meeting new people I say my name, repeat the pronunciation multiple times and yet they will still say it wrong.

I am honestly really sick of people saying it wrong, ranging from teachers or even my own grandparents. It really lowers my already dwindling self-esteem. I'm sure you are thinking that just telling them in a friendly way would resolve the problem, however this is rarely the case.

At (previous)work, the manager said it 10 different ways on my first day, and I just told him to call me by a shorter version of my name. The same thing happened with a teacher where I kid you not five times I told him my name and the way he said it sounded like he had a severe speech impediment. Again, I gave up and told me to call me the shortened version. Being called by the shortened version is a problem as well because I hate that name. Even my own grandparents have said it incorrectly for my entire life, and my parents have never even told them they are saying it wrong.

Sorry if this is getting extremely vent-y, do you think changing it because people get it wrong is bad, or is it like giving in?

To some extent, I do kinda dislike my name, not just because people say it wrong, but it is an uncommon biblical name and I am not religious.

My plan is to legally replace my name with my middle name, as it is just easier, and hey, I like the sound of it more(I don't think I can state it here because of personal info).

It will also kinda help to change my current personality(which I hate) and really want to become a better person. I plan on changing my name as soon as I leave college, and start going by the new name when I start at University, and I am aware this is probably going to be expensive and a hassle to change legal documents.

Thanks.

So what is your name??
Really? Does it not lower your self-esteem because it really lowers mine and I essentially give up and just say to call me a shorter version which I hate. I would ask what your name is and tell you mine but I guess it's better not to give away that because of personal info etc.
Original post by Hisksjd
So what is your name??

I mean, it's probably better not to link this account to my identity and doxxing etc. But I will say it is biblical and different people with this name might tell people to say it differently.
I also have a name which people do not pronounce correctly, so much so that I just go by my nickname
(kind of a shortened version of my name). It's somewhat of a hassle when my name doesn't match what
people refer to me as since, when they notice, people always ask me whether I dislike my name and I say
"no, people just can't say it right" they just say that it can't be that hard and proceed to mispronounce it :rolleyes:
Personally, I wouldn't change my name since it's linked to my culture and I can't really imagine having a
different name - although I have plenty of middle names to choose from).

If it's that much of an issue, then go ahead, byt maybe try getting people to call you by your middle name
first before you think about legally changing it. If you want to use the name change as a 'phoenix' moment,
make sure you're committed to changing your personality too, lest you end up not liking your middle name much.
I also knew a guy with a Biblical name (Nahum) that took people a few tries to get right, but he mainly joked
about it & I had teachers that called me the wrong name throughout school, but I didn't take it to heart.

To each their own though.

Thanks.

If you dont liker it change it or add another name before it.
Be aware what else it will affect.

Changing it before exams will mean certificates will have your new name, that makes things easier.
A levels and degree certificate being relevant.
Tale care in choosing a new name and pick something you like.

Thanks.

I know people that just use their middle name for everyday.

Think yourself lucky - people call me a name that isn't mine but shares a few of the same letters ... I don't bother to correct them.
I started going by my middle name when applying to jobs but everyone already knows me by first name at uni. All my documents have my first and last name on it. It hasn't been a issue for me.
Original post by Muttley79
I know people that just use their middle name for everyday.

Think yourself lucky - people call me a name that isn't mine but shares a few of the same letters ... I don't bother to correct them.

To be honest maybe I am just being irrational and it is better to not make it a big deal or whatever...
Original post by Anonymous
I started going by my middle name when applying to jobs but everyone already knows me by first name at uni. All my documents have my first and last name on it. It hasn't been a issue for me.

Because people said it wrong? Does the fact you have two names help separate work and personal life?
Just introduce yourself by your middle name.

I don't use my legal name. A few people at work call me by it accidentally, but that's because they see it on emails.
I mean, it's probably better not to link this account to my identity and doxxing etc. But I will say it is biblical and different people with this name might tell people to say it differently.

is it Mephibosheth or something like that?

I understand if you don't want to answer.🙂

nobody is gonna doxx u. we aren't as badass as reddit
Because people said it wrong? Does the fact you have two names help separate work and personal life?

People kept forgetting what my name was since it isn't common lol and I found that annoying. My middle name is a basic name that people seem to remember more easily.

My work life never mixes with my personal life so isn't a problem for me.
Reply 14
If you don’t like it then it is worth changing if it annoys you regularly. I’ve often thought about changing my name because I just don’t like the sound of it and for some reason I get uncomfortable saying my own name. Although to an extent I’m uncomfortable with using names anyway so that might just be the reason.
Original post by Leviathan1611
is it Mephibosheth or something like that?

I understand if you don't want to answer.🙂

It is Josiah, I say it like ji-si-ah but there are hundreds of other ways people *think* it is said but I feel like I would know how to say my own name lmao
Original post by davesantana
nobody is gonna doxx u. we aren't as badass as reddit

It is Josiah, I say it like ji-si-ah but there are hundreds of other ways people *think* it is said but I feel like I would know how to say my own name lmao

is that how you parents say it too?

that's not even a hard name, people are weird, how can they not pronounce it correctly? it's easy.

bruh its normal ffs. any1 who pronouces jisiah wrong must be **tarded
I feel your irritation.
My first name is popular in israel, often makes me a target for jew hating racists and frequently gets shortened or mispronounced by normal people.
When it comes to biblical names, there is often a lot of difference between the english pronunciation and traditional hebrew translated spelling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending