The Student Room Group

history edexcel

Hey can anyone help with this question from my homework:
Explain one way in which enforcement during the medieval period was different to enforcement in the 17th century.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2

ahh thank u so much??? what year are u in btw??
Reply 3
Hey my teacher set me this 20 marker for elizabeth: the question was -

‘Papacy was the main reason that there was an increase in Catholic opposition from 1559-88’
And I'm arguing that internal religious divisions and the Religious Settlement were the main reason for an increase in Catholic opposition from 1559-88.
here is my paragraph, would anyone be able to give me some feedback on it. Is there anything I should add.

It could also be argued religious divisions was the main reason that there was an increase in Catholic opposition. When
Elizabeth acceded to the throne, she inherited a legacy of religious confusion. Ever since Henry VII split with Rome in 1533, England’s religious stability was challenged. Since the 1530s, there had been constant religious changes in
England. For example, Edward VI tried to make England Protestant whereas Mary I tried to revert England back to a Catholic country. This led too deep divisions amongst social classes which then led to violent uprisings against the monarch.
When Elizabeth took the throne, the Crown was £300,000 in debt. The financial weakness meant any potential uprising had a good chance of success because she would not have the money to put it down. The level of threat that Elizabeth faced was reflected in her decision to introduce the Religious Settlement of 1559 which aimed to please both Protestants and Catholics. She hoped to undermine the Catholic threat by allowing churches to be decorated and not pursuing Catholics who took mass secretly at home. As a Protestant, Elizabeth’s significant decision to create the Religious Settlement shows just how much of a threat she saw a potential uprising and confirms the fact that internal religious divisions were the main reason for an increase in Catholic opposition.
Original post by chloboooxx
ahh thank u so much??? what year are u in btw??

11. u?
Hey my teacher set me this 20 marker for elizabeth: the question was -

‘Papacy was the main reason that there was an increase in Catholic opposition from 1559-88’
And I'm arguing that internal religious divisions and the Religious Settlement were the main reason for an increase in Catholic opposition from 1559-88.
here is my paragraph, would anyone be able to give me some feedback on it. Is there anything I should add.

It could also be argued religious divisions was the main reason that there was an increase in Catholic opposition. When
Elizabeth acceded to the throne, she inherited a legacy of religious confusion. Ever since Henry VII split with Rome in 1533, England’s religious stability was challenged. Since the 1530s, there had been constant religious changes in
England. For example, Edward VI tried to make England Protestant whereas Mary I tried to revert England back to a Catholic country. This led too deep divisions amongst social classes which then led to violent uprisings against the monarch.
When Elizabeth took the throne, the Crown was £300,000 in debt. The financial weakness meant any potential uprising had a good chance of success because she would not have the money to put it down. The level of threat that Elizabeth faced was reflected in her decision to introduce the Religious Settlement of 1559 which aimed to please both Protestants and Catholics. She hoped to undermine the Catholic threat by allowing churches to be decorated and not pursuing Catholics who took mass secretly at home. As a Protestant, Elizabeth’s significant decision to create the Religious Settlement shows just how much of a threat she saw a potential uprising and confirms the fact that internal religious divisions were the main reason for an increase in Catholic opposition.

also, she made the pope's swear that they supported her. if not then they would have been committing treason!
Reply 6
Year 11 too, got my mocks next week
Reply 7
Original post by 0114x
also, she made the pope's swear that they supported her. if not then they would have been committing treason!

do u think i need to act examples of catholic plots against elizabeth, cause im not sure if i should
Year 11 too, got my mocks next week

good luck
Reply 9
thank you :smile:
do u think i need to act examples of catholic plots against elizabeth, cause im not sure if i should

Yes! Badmington, Ridolfi, throckmorton and the revolt of the northern earls. Examples are important! Always include them
Reply 11
Original post by 0114x
Yes! Badmington, Ridolfi, throckmorton and the revolt of the northern earls. Examples are important! Always include them

hey but which one could i say was because of the religious settlement. as in if i was to say, this plot was created because the people hated the religious settlement- which plot could i say. cause a few of them were started by mary queen of scots
The revolt of the northern earls!!
Reply 13
here is an exemplar of an early elizabeth 12 marker, hope it helps anyone

The most important reason why the colonisation of Virginia failed was because of the lack of food. The first colonists left England too late which meant that they did not reach Virginia in time to plant crops. In addition, one of their five ships, the Tiger, was breached, leading to seawater ruining the food it was carrying. The lack of food was significant
because it caused many of the colonists to suffer from disease, starvation and it also lowered their morale. This may well have influenced the colonists’ decision to abandon the colony in 1586 and return to England. This means it is the most important reason because the colonists had given up hope and decided to leave.

Another important reason why the colonisation of Virginia failed was because of Native American resistance. Because the colonists had a lack of food they became increasingly dependent on the Native Americans for food supplies. This meant that there was regular contact between the natives and the colonists which led to the spread of diseases. In 1585, angered by the diseases they had brought, Algonquian Chief Winginia led an attack on the colonists. This was important because it forced the colonists to
abandon Roanoke which led to the failure of colonising Virginia. However, the
attack from the Native Americans was not the most important reason for the
failure of Virginia because if the colonists had food then they would have never had to deal with the Native Americans.

A third significant reason why the colonisation of Virginia failed was because of the Anglo-Spanish war. From 1585, England was preoccupied as they were at war with Spain. The threat from the Armada meant that very few ships were available to visit and resupply the colonists. This was important because the colonists were never properly supplied and they were isolated and vulnerable which made them easy targets to attack. However, the Anglo-Spanish war was not the most significant reason for the failure of Virginia because if the colonists had arrived at the colony on time then they would have had enough food so they would not have had to rely on ships from England to help them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending