The Student Room Group

dentist check up

okay so i’ve just been for a check up and that’s all i got i thought every 6 months you’re meant to be given that scale and polish (the suction pipe thing) i had it last time i went but then the time before that i didn’t get it until 18 months so my third time and the last time i got it my dentist did say i had some plaque build up and this time i know i had a little bit of plaque as i could see it myself and i didn’t get the scale and polish so i’ve just a little bit of plaque in between two of my teeth i’m with the nhs can anyone tell me if i should’ve had it?
Original post by Anonymous
okay so i’ve just been for a check up and that’s all i got i thought every 6 months you’re meant to be given that scale and polish (the suction pipe thing) i had it last time i went but then the time before that i didn’t get it until 18 months so my third time and the last time i got it my dentist did say i had some plaque build up and this time i know i had a little bit of plaque as i could see it myself and i didn’t get the scale and polish so i’ve just a little bit of plaque in between two of my teeth i’m with the nhs can anyone tell me if i should’ve had it?

Are you over 18 by any chance? Why didn’t you question this when you were at the dentist?
Original post by Hazzabear
Are you over 18 by any chance? Why didn’t you question this when you were at the dentist?

Exactly, why didn’t you ask them?
Original post by Screwlife
Exactly, why didn’t you ask them?

Bit odd..
Reply 4
Bit odd..

yeah i’m over 18 and i’m not sure why i didn’t i kind of just assumed that i would get it if he thought i needed it and i’m very shy so i wouldn’t have asked for it or said something about it in case i had to pay more for example but i will definitely ask for it next time
yeah i’m over 18 and i’m not sure why i didn’t i kind of just assumed that i would get it if he thought i needed it and i’m very shy so i wouldn’t have asked for it or said something about it in case i had to pay more for example but i will definitely ask for it next time

That’s probably why you did not get it, they usually only give it if you’re under 18.
The scaling is often done by the hygienist when you’re over 18, so may be worth ringing up and seeing if you can make an appointment with them
Reply 7
That’s probably why you did not get it, they usually only give it if you’re under 18.

why though as i pay for my treatment? i thought it’s their policy to have it every 6 months i thought they would just give it to you if like me you have a little bit of plaque build up as they are a dentist after all :/
why though as i pay for my treatment? i thought it’s their policy to have it every 6 months i thought they would just give it to you if like me you have a little bit of plaque build up as they are a dentist after all :/

I think it’s worth you chatting to your dentist or the receptionist about this when you next go if you can. They might only offer it to under 18s like I mentioned before if that’s their policy.
Reply 9
Original post by L4ur41996
The scaling is often done by the hygienist when you’re over 18, so may be worth ringing up and seeing if you can make an appointment with them

yeah the hygienist is always in the room with my dentist and he was today so i’m still confused
I think it’s worth you chatting to your dentist or the receptionist about this when you next go if you can. They might only offer it to under 18s like I mentioned before if that’s their policy.

yeah i definitely will do the next time i go, it says on the price list on the nhs for band 1 it includes check up, advice and scale and polish so maybe my dentist is just sh*t lmao
yeah i definitely will do the next time i go, it says on the price list on the nhs for band 1 it includes check up, advice and scale and polish so maybe my dentist is just sh*t lmao

Is it private healthcare?
Is it private healthcare?

no its the nhs

Quick Reply

Latest