The Student Room Group

A level maths

How much does it cost to do A-Level maths as a private candidate?

And what do you think if I do 4 hours every day to practice maths (sometimes with a tutor), is it possible to get A?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maven2k
How much does it cost to do A-Level maths as a private candidate?

And what do you think if I do 4 hours every day to practice maths (sometimes with a tutor), is it possible to get A?

You might also want to get extra help studying to make sure you get the most out of your learning.

Private tutors can teach you in your home one-on-one, which means you can focus on the areas you need the most help with. This can be a particularly good option if you are re-taking an A-level after a disappointing result, as you can concentrate on the things that caught you out. Private tutors generally charge by the hour, with prices depending on the experience and education level of the tutor you hire.

Private tuitions can also be really expensive and cant guarantee the best cuz the teachers are usually looking to make money. TBH it really depends on your intelligence . its really hard to pull off an a level independently.
Regarding expenses u will only get rid of school fee but tuitions for Als are really expensive. the best bet you join some academy. It will be cheaper than schools and u will learn a lot
Reply 2
Around £150
Reply 3
Original post by satsun
Around £150

How many exams are there for A-level maths? Is this the sum of all the exams? Or just one paper?
Reply 4
Original post by maven2k
How many exams are there for A-level maths? Is this the sum of all the exams? Or just one paper?

I’ll assume you’re doing Edexcel, the most popular for maths. There’s three papers. Paper 1&2: Pure, Paper 3: Stats&Mechanics
Reply 5
Original post by satsun
I’ll assume you’re doing Edexcel, the most popular for maths. There’s three papers. Paper 1&2: Pure, Paper 3: Stats&Mechanics

Do I need to do AS maths or A level maths?
Reply 6
bump
Original post by maven2k
bump

The actual cost of exams for private candidates can be anywhere from £150-300 usually.
Reply 8
Original post by quirky editor
The actual cost of exams for private candidates can be anywhere from £150-300 usually.

Is that for full A level?
There's plenty of material online and YouTube will help you with a lot of it. Because you have to remember the same stuff is taught at University and at college and schools globally for a subject like maths which is universal so it's easy to find material. Learn that way and then do lots of past papers for your exam board so you get the gist of how they like to ask questions for the topics .

Best of luck 💪
Original post by maven2k
Is that for full A level?

Yes
Reply 11
Original post by maven2k
Do I need to do AS maths or A level maths?

It’s your choice, you can just take the full A level
Reply 12
Original post by satsun
It’s your choice, you can just take the full A level

What universities need? AS or A level?
Original post by maven2k

A level generally
Reply 14
Original post by maven2k

Only the a level
Reply 15
Original post by satsun
Only the a level

A level generally

What do you think if I have 6 in maths how difficult it will be for me to do A level maths? If I practice 4-5 hours every day, do you think it is possible to get B at least? Any tips on how to revise effectively?
Original post by maven2k
What do you think if I have 6 in maths how difficult it will be for me to do A level maths? If I practice 4-5 hours every day, do you think it is possible to get B at least? Any tips on how to revise effectively?

When are you taking the exam? Have you bought a book yet to see the content you'll l be. For self teachers Edexcel is a good exam board. You could borrow one if there's a library near you. You might not to be able to take the exam in June depending on how quickly you learn and what grade you want.
Reply 17
When are you taking the exam? Have you bought a book yet to see the content you'll l be. For self teachers Edexcel is a good exam board. You could borrow one if there's a library near you. You might not to be able to take the exam in June depending on how quickly you learn and what grade you want.

I will study content in (2020), and I will take exams in (2021)
Original post by maven2k
I will study content in (2020), and I will take exams in (2021)

You should be ok then.
Reply 19
bump

Quick Reply

Latest