The Student Room Group

Oxford, Philosophy and Theology 2020

Starting a feed for PhilThe, entry in 2020. I think I will apply to Oriel or Christchurch college. Come and say hi, what college your looking at etc..

Scroll to see replies

Hey! I applied for LMH but I'm really not feeling confident at all. My GCSE and AS Grades aren't outstanding and I'm not sure how to prepare for the test.
Also, have no clue what written work to send in
Reply 2
Hi I'm applying to Keble. I sat the test yesterday and have mixed feelings about how I did. I just need to submit the written work and then hopefully get called for an interview.
I'm really not feeling positive about the test either. Most of what I wrote was complete waffle and I found the comprehension more difficult than the past papers I did
Reply 4
Original post by Kangarue2000
I'm really not feeling positive about the test either. Most of what I wrote was complete waffle and I found the comprehension more difficult than the past papers I did

It was much harder than any of the recent past papers from a 3 year span. And they have reverted the test structure to the old cycle (they switch up the structure every 3 years)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Hey! I applied for LMH but I'm really not feeling confident at all. My GCSE and AS Grades aren't outstanding and I'm not sure how to prepare for the test.
Also, have no clue what written work to send in

In terms of work you should send in preferably your best essay/school work that's marked for any essay subject. I'm sending a 25marker that I got good marks for.
Okay, thanks. I think I'm going to send an essay on creationism I did but I'm pretty worried about it as it said on their website that they're looking for an ability to argue well but my teacher told us to never give our own opinion in essays so I don't have any essays that can show my ability to argue well...
Reply 7
Okay, thanks. I think I'm going to send an essay on creationism I did but I'm pretty worried about it as it said on their website that they're looking for an ability to argue well but my teacher told us to never give our own opinion in essays so I don't have any essays that can show my ability to argue well...

What about any essays in class? Ones you scored highly on. I'm sending in a history one that's about 3 extracts that I got a level 5 for. It was out of 30 (got 26 marks)
Original post by Zam10
What about any essays in class? Ones you scored highly on. I'm sending in a history one that's about 3 extracts that I got a level 5 for. It was out of 30 (got 26 marks)

Well my only other essay subject, apart from RE, which the creationism essay was for, is English, but my essays for that are no where near as good so I don't know really. I'm just hoping the written work is not the main determining factor
Reply 9
Well my only other essay subject, apart from RE, which the creationism essay was for, is English, but my essays for that are no where near as good so I don't know really. I'm just hoping the written work is not the main determining factor

I'd say send that one in or ask around with your teachers. And tbh aslong as there is analytical and reasoning skills you'll be fine (plus creationism is relevant to the course)
Reply 10
anyone hear back about interviews yet?
Original post by redzav
anyone hear back about interviews yet?

Nope😭, what college have you applied to
I've applied for LMH and desperately checking my email every 5 minutes! anyone know what day to except invites or rejections on?
Reply 13
I've applied for LMH and desperately checking my email every 5 minutes! anyone know what day to except invites or rejections on?

Same but for Worcester - no clue when we’re going to find out. I hope it’s soon!

week starting 25th I think!
Ive also applied for worcester and am frantically checking emails 😂
Reply 16
Original post by Kmaylin1
Ive also applied for worcester and am frantically checking emails 😂

It’s such a bad habit! What are your grades like if you don’t mind me asking - GCSEs and predicted? Not sure how mine compare!!
Reply 17
Original post by lavanyaxoxox
Nope😭, what college have you applied to

Worcester
Reply 18
Original post by redzav
Worcester

Me too! What are your grades like if you don’t mind me asking - GCSEs and predicted? Not sure how mine compare!!
Reply 19
Original post by Verve
Me too! What are your grades like if you don’t mind me asking - GCSEs and predicted? Not sure how mine compare!!

For GCSE's, I got five 9s, three 8s and a 7
I'm predicted A*A*D2 (D2=A* in Pre-U)

Honestly, I don't think grades matter but your passion for the subject definitely does - the 2018 Oxford admission statistics showed that a normal person who got an offer last year had 7.7 A* in GCSE. It's less about grades and more about your interest in the subject I think. If you get an interview, just smash it since the Tutors can see how much you love your subject. There are a lot of students who get top grades and full marks in school but still don't make it to Oxford - it rly does rely on your passion :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending