The Student Room Group

The Guitar Thread 🎸

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Lostx
I mean being able to stretch fingers so that I can reach the frets for a chord.

I forgot to link the thing anyway -.-
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1683950448298756
the reason it's difficult is because there's probably no other activity you do where you have to contort your hand like that. I remember struggling to play a G chord when I began. There's no trick really, just doing it lots will make it easier.
Although after 10 years, my left hand can stretch noticeably further than my right.

Original post by phyf
Reading off a stave can be hell when playing guitar, have u tried using tabs?

I think it's worth learning how to read sheet music - it's not that difficult to learn anyway and it'll be very helpful for theory later on
Reply 81
Original post by Sinnoh

I think it's worth learning how to read sheet music - it's not that difficult to learn anyway and it'll be very helpful for theory later on

It is worth learning sheet music, nó doubt about it, but the only problem is figuring out which position to play something in, so even having both side by side would help (although, tbh if you only plan to learn guitar there's not much point learning sheet music because it's never asked - even in theory sections of grades I only get asked to play things off a tab)
Reply 82
Original post by Sinnoh
Here's an exercise I use. Note it's more about accuracy than being able to stretch usually.

It's periodic - notes of a different octave sound alike. The lowest note playable with standard tuning is an E, on the second fret of the 4th string is an E an octave up, then the top string of the guitar is also E but another octave.
So all the playable notes on the guitar, in ascending order, going up 1 fret at a time would be E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E repeating.

Thank you for sharing that exercise, although it does look quite tricky!

Ah I understand now, I guess this is a way to learn scales?
Reply 83
Original post by Sinnoh
I forgot to link the thing anyway -.-
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1683950448298756
the reason it's difficult is because there's probably no other activity you do where you have to contort your hand like that. I remember struggling to play a G chord when I began. There's no trick really, just doing it lots will make it easier.
Although after 10 years, my left hand can stretch noticeably further than my right.

I can play sheet music because I play the piano as well. I think if I am able to learn the notes on the neck I could potentially pick up a piece of music and play it by reading the music sheet.
Reply 84
Original post by Lostx
Thank you for sharing that exercise, although it does look quite tricky!

Ah I understand now, I guess this is a way to learn scales?

I think learning scales is your best bet for finding out where the notes are - I learned the scales based off left-hand fingering and position in this book of scales.
You'll find that with the major scales there's a pretty obvious sense of where the next note should be so you can guess by ear what the next note is. Maybe try saying the note out loud while you play.
Reply 85
Original post by Sinnoh
I think learning scales is your best bet for finding out where the notes are - I learned the scales based off left-hand fingering and position in this book of scales.
You'll find that with the major scales there's a pretty obvious sense of where the next note should be so you can guess by ear what the next note is. Maybe try saying the note out loud while you play.

I am sorry but I really don’t understand.

The first note is middle C and it has a number 5 underneath in brackets, which I am guessing means on the 5th string? Where is middle C on the guitar? Is it a chord which would make sense because underneath the brackets is the fingering. Please help!
Reply 86
Original post by Lostx
I am sorry but I really don’t understand.

The first note is middle C and it has a number 5 underneath in brackets, which I am guessing means on the 5th string? Where is middle C on the guitar? Is it a chord which would make sense because underneath the brackets is the fingering. Please help!

(it's not quite middle C because the stave is an octave lower but just ignore that)
Yes it's the 3rd fret of 5th string, that's the C.
A usual rule of thumb that works is 1 finger per fret - you start with the 2nd finger, the next one is the 4th so you go two frets over with the pinky (to the 5th fret)
You also have to shift your left hand position at some point
Reply 87
Original post by Sinnoh
(it's not quite middle C because the stave is an octave lower but just ignore that)
Yes it's the 3rd fret of 5th string, that's the C.
A usual rule of thumb that works is 1 finger per fret - you start with the 2nd finger, the next one is the 4th so you go two frets over with the pinky (to the 5th fret)
You also have to shift your left hand position at some point

Thanks. How did you know C is on the third fret?

‘you start with the 2nd finger, the next one is the 4th so you go two frets over with the pinky (to the 5th fret)’
I am lost. Sorry.
Reply 88
Original post by Lostx
Thanks. How did you know C is on the third fret?

It just is :smile:
Or, to give a more technical answer, the 5th string is A, so the first fret on there is A# (or B flat), then the next one is B, so the next one is C. There is no note 'between' B and C in Western music.

‘you start with the 2nd finger, the next one is the 4th so you go two frets over with the pinky (to the 5th fret)’
I am lost. Sorry.

here's a photo:

Spoiler

Reply 89
Original post by Sinnoh
It just is :smile:
Or, to give a more technical answer, the 5th string is A, so the first fret on there is A# (or B flat), then the next one is B, so the next one is C. There is no note 'between' B and C in Western music.

here's a photo:

Spoiler

That makes sense now :smile: thank you!
Reply 90
Original post by username4995738
I have never seen any female guitar players before. Maybe you are an anamoly. Which is good.

I'm 17 and I female and I have been playing both classical and electric guitar since I was 8. There's more than you think!
Reply 91
I am going to buy a guitar book but I am stuck choosing between 2 books.

These are: https://www.amazon.com/Visual-Guitar-Theory-Recognizing-Understanding/dp/1495088960
And
https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Grimoire-Exercise-Book/dp/0825835658

One is a lot more expensive than the other so which should I choose?
Reply 92
Original post by Admera
I'm 17 and I female and I have been playing both classical and electric guitar since I was 8. There's more than you think!

:five:
Reply 93
How can I play more than one note at a time? My fingers don’t stretch that far!
Reply 94
I’m so useless at playing the guitar. I can’t even fingerpick 😔
Reply 95
Original post by Lostx
How can I play more than one note at a time? My fingers don’t stretch that far!

Your fingers on which hand?

Original post by Lostx
I’m so useless at playing the guitar. I can’t even fingerpick 😔

Then attempt to fingerpick until you manage to. I still mess up scales often and it annoys me

This thread popping up on my feed reminded me to practise actually :yy:
Reply 96
Original post by Sinnoh
Your fingers on which hand?

Then attempt to fingerpick until you manage to. I still mess up scales often and it annoys me

This thread popping up on my feed reminded me to practise actually :yy:

I’m trying to play the C,E and G notes together but I end up only allowing the C note to sound and the other strings sound muffled. I think it’s because my fingers don’t stretch that far so don’t produce a clear note. My fingers on my left hand (the one pressing down on the frets).

I need to do a lot of practice! I bought the ‘A modern method for guitar’ book and it’s really good.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 97
Original post by Lostx
I’m trying to play the C,E and G notes together but I end up only allowing the C note to sound and the other strings sound muffled. I think it’s because my fingers don’t stretch that far so don’t produce a clear note. My fingers on my left hand (the one pressing down on the frets).

I need to do a lot of practice! I bought the ‘A modern method for guitar’ book and it’s really good.

to clarify, is that C in the 2nd string, E on the 4th string and g on the 3rd string?
It might be that one finger is touching against another string and that's causing it to be muted
Reply 98
Original post by Sinnoh
to clarify, is that C in the 2nd string, E on the 4th string and g on the 3rd string?
It might be that one finger is touching against another string and that's causing it to be muted

It’s C on the fifth string, E on the fourth string and G on the third string. This is the problem I have. My fingers are too fat.
Does anyone have any good song recommendations

Quick Reply

Latest