The Student Room Group

A LEVEL ARABIC NEW SPEC, need help!!

Im sitting a level Arabic independently during my gap year but im confused on what textbooks to use/ the research element of paper 1? Any help would be useful. currently have the Mr Chawki Nacef 'the advanced arabic companion' book but it doesnt match up with all of the new spec and doesnt really mention research task or anything. Thanks!!

Scroll to see replies

Yeah I have no clue either LOL. I did the old spec last year and failed so I’m resitting but I have no idea where to get help from bc it’s actually quite hard haha.
Most people who Arabic A-Level are Arabs or learned arabic from a young age to get an easy A/A*.
Original post by AnonymousGuest
Most people who Arabic A-Level are Arabs or learned arabic from a young age to get an easy A/A*.

Not really i speak fluent Arabic and got an A* at gcses but Arabic A-level is really hard specifically because I speak a different dialect to the text given to us.
Lowkey wanna do it too so I can get 4 A levels (got a 9 in GCSE)
But yeah the whole different dialect thing is an issue
Original post by idkanyusername
Not really i speak fluent Arabic and got an A* at gcses but Arabic A-level is really hard specifically because I speak a different dialect to the text given to us.

Which Arabic?
Which Arabic?

I have a Syrian dialect and I just find it hard grasping on to classic Arabic which has different words
I have a Syrian dialect and I just find it hard grasping on to classic Arabic which has different words

Then you got to treat it as a different language. You should already know the alphabet so that would make it easier. My local (parent's home) dialect is quite different to some other places in the same country, I can't understand most of what the other places say so I know how different the dialects can be.
Reply 8

what year are you in?? I got an a* at gcse and sitting it the new spec now for the first time and im a little confused. i read through the spec and it seems relatively straightforward discrediting the literature side of it.
Reply 9
Original post by xxlaila03xx
Lowkey wanna do it too so I can get 4 A levels (got a 9 in GCSE)
But yeah the whole different dialect thing is an issue

I think you should defo do it to up ur A level count but its just a matter of finding textbooks ettc that. are tricky
Reply 10

I am an arab and have speaked arabic since young at home, i find the language side straightfoward and i did the gcse but do you kno any. resources eg textbooks or specific book guides like in english lit or no??
Original post by nickolai
I think you should defo do it to up ur A level count but its just a matter of finding textbooks ettc that. are tricky

If you are an Arab then why not do it for A Level so you can say you have 4 A Levels but it's not going to seem that amazing considering you're a native Arab or you were bought up in an Arab household. If you do a language you're not native to or familiar to, then that would seem much more appealing to universities but there's nothing wrong doing it for A Level.

This is what I'm saying
The 'My Arabic Friend' book was so bad

Syriann?
Sameee
I am an arab and have speaked arabic since young at home, i find the language side straightfoward and i did the gcse but do you kno any. resources eg textbooks or specific book guides like in english lit or no??

Edexcel or Cambridge International?
Reply 15
Edexcel or Cambridge International?

edexcel
Reply 16
If you are an Arab then why not do it for A Level so you can say you have 4 A Levels but it's not going to seem that amazing considering you're a native Arab or you were bought up in an Arab household. If you do a language you're not native to or familiar to, then that would seem much more appealing to universities but there's nothing wrong doing it for A Level.

I defo get what youre saying with this but all A Levels are hard, regardless of native speaking or not, so would still seem pretty impressive especially adjacent with your other three A Levels. If it was a third A Level, then this argument is more applicable.
Reply 17
Original post by xxlaila03xx
Syriann?
Sameee

Im iraqi
Im iraqi

She confused you with the other guy.
Reply 19
She confused you with the other guy.

oh okay, im doing edexcel do you know any textbooks or resources then?

Quick Reply

Latest