The Student Room Group

Is there a political party for both rich and poor people?

Pls answer without being too biased with your opinion.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Some would say the Brexit Party.
Original post by satsun

Would those 'some' be really, really clueless people?
Yes, plenty of them.
Whether those political party's deserve votes or a visit from the police/men in white coats in another issue.

Labour has members, activists and supporters that are a mix of rich & poor.
Same with the Brexit Party, Conservatives and the Greens.
Even the BNP is able to attract some members and supporters with money, in addition to criminals who spend most of their time unemployed or in the cells.
Reply 4
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Would those 'some' be really, really clueless people?

There’s no doubt, Farage attracts working class, northern voters, just look at the EU elections. He attracts many Labour voters who are disillusioned with the two main parties. To call them clueless could be seen as snobbish and naive.
there are plenty of millionaires in the Labor party. Jezza and Diane for starters :h:
I'd argue any party is for both the rich and the poor. At least the 3 main parties (Labour, Conservatives and Liberal Democrats) all are.

There seems to be an issue, however, of people from certain communities shaming others in the community for voting for different parties. For example, a 'poorer' person voting for Conservatives or a 'richer' person voting for Labour. All the parties have policies that are attractive to both groups - it just depends on what you believe.
Original post by satsun
There’s no doubt, Farage attracts working class, northern voters, just look at the EU elections. He attracts many Labour voters who are disillusioned with the two main parties. To call them clueless could be seen as snobbish and naive.

I took the OP to mean who do parties actually care about or truly represent. The fact that working class people are sometimes easily reached by the racism and xenophobia of the hard right Brexit Party doesn't mean that Farage is really on their side. He's an ultra-marketeer who wants to close the NHS, destroy all public services, pretty much end the UK government and convert the UK into a playground for asset strippers and rich city con artists. Does that sound to you like he cares about the working class? He uses them.
Original post by the bear
there are plenty of millionaires in the Labor party. Jezza and Diane for starters :h:

You like this smear Bear, don't you. I suppose the fact that pretty much anyone buying a house within the North Circular Road has a good chance of being a 'millionaire', at least on paper, is irrelevant to you?
You like this smear Bear, don't you. I suppose the fact that pretty much anyone buying a house within the North Circular Road has a good chance of being a 'millionaire', at least on paper, is irrelevant to you?

did i say there is anything wrong with being a millionaire ? it is great that J & D are enjoying a millionaire lifestyle.
I took the OP to mean who do parties actually care about or truly represent. The fact that working class people are sometimes easily reached by the racism and xenophobia of the hard right Brexit Party doesn't mean that Farage is really on their side. He's an ultra-marketeer who wants to close the NHS, destroy all public services, pretty much end the UK government and convert the UK into a playground for asset strippers and rich city con artists. Does that sound to you like he cares about the working class? He uses them.

I’d say this is a little extreme. Farage is portrayed as a ‘hard far-right facist’, which I’d argue is simply not true. He left UKIP as it was talking a sharp turn right, with Batten and Robinson, I’d argue they are the anti-Islam racists, not Farage.

To say he wants to close the NHS, is also a fantasy. He believes in privatising parts of the healthcare system as it seems to be struggling, which may be seen as controversial, yes.
In the sense that all of them want perserve the existing order in some way, and that a majority of both rich and poor want the same, you could all of them bar a few fascist and communist parties.
Original post by the bear
did i say there is anything wrong with being a millionaire ? it is great that J & D are enjoying a millionaire lifestyle.

Hee hee, glad you just said it for entirely neutral observational and praising purposes. :teehee:
Hee hee, glad you just said it for entirely neutral observational and praising purposes. :teehee:

it's fair enough. not everyone is lucky enough to be able to afford private education for their offspring. luck of the draw i guess :h:
Reply 14
Original post by satsun

Yeah, the Brexit Party is very much for both rich and poor, if by that you mean simultaneously ruining the lives of both.....
Original post by picklejuice2001

Yep.

MRLP
Original post by Zoqua
Yeah, the Brexit Party is very much for both rich and poor, if by that you mean simultaneously ruining the lives of both.....

They are indeed equal opportunity country-f*ckers.
Reply 17
Original post by picklejuice2001

I would have thought that the Liberal democrats would be the obvious choice. The Lib dems will reverse the great inequality created by the Tory government, and stop Brexit (which will be beneficial for everyone), while not imposing the extremely high taxes that Corbyn's Labour party will do.
Original post by Zoqua
I would have thought that the Liberal democrats would be the obvious choice. The Lib dems will reverse the great inequality created by the Tory government, and stop Brexit (which will be beneficial for everyone), while not imposing the extremely high taxes that Corbyn's Labour party will do.

So they wouldn't respect democracy...
Yeah for some reason that doesn't sit well with me.
Original post by Zoqua

But what about those people that did vote for Brexit, especially the poorer people. How can you just ignore their voice and their concerns? I think if Lib Dem’s won a majority (vv unlikely), tensions would soar and divisions would be deepened.

Quick Reply

Latest