The Student Room Group

Looking for first car advice

I'm looking to get a first car soon and would like some advice. For context I'm a student who has a limited but reasonable budget (~£2000) living in a fairly nice student town getting insurance quotes between £1100 and £1600 with black box for most cars (ranging from Pugeot 206s to Audi A3s among others I've plugged into comparison sites)

Here's the issue though, due to complications with the college I go to I have to travel quite a ways (70+ miles) daily to get there and back (though I only go in 3 days a week). Because of the amount of miles I'll be doing in my first car I don't want to get a total piece of crap. Anything past about 2010 can be ruled out too, usually too expensive or just lousy.

What would you all recommend? I've been looking at A3s and BMW 1 series, but wouldnt mind downgrading a bit from there (rule out anything that is ugly though, such as old model corsas)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RedZone420
I'm looking to get a first car soon and would like some advice. For context I'm a student who has a limited but reasonable budget (~£2000) living in a fairly nice student town getting insurance quotes between £1100 and £1600 with black box for most cars (ranging from Pugeot 206s to Audi A3s among others I've plugged into comparison sites)

Here's the issue though, due to complications with the college I go to I have to travel quite a ways (70+ miles) daily to get there and back (though I only go in 3 days a week). Because of the amount of miles I'll be doing in my first car I don't want to get a total piece of crap. Anything past about 2010 can be ruled out too, usually too expensive or just lousy.

What would you all recommend? I've been looking at A3s and BMW 1 series, but wouldnt mind downgrading a bit from there (rule out anything that is ugly though, such as old model corsas)

This should be in the cars and motoring for starters... @8472

If you're looking at older VAG cars and older beamers, stop - you're asking for trouble. You'll end up spending more money than your budget.
Fiat 500's are very cheap for insurance, but it can be hard to find older ones that aren’t still going for £2000. That’s a long way to travel in such a small car though.
Reply 3
Original post by RoyalSheepy
This should be in the cars and motoring for starters... @8472

If you're looking at older VAG cars and older beamers, stop - you're asking for trouble. You'll end up spending more money than your budget.

Apologies, I'm new here and couldn't find that board.
Reply 4
Original post by Dancer2001
Fiat 500's are very cheap for insurance, but it can be hard to find older ones that aren’t still going for £2000. That’s a long way to travel in such a small car though.

I personally havent looked into them during the price, my car budget is about £1000, maybe less, I can likely dredge up a bit more money if I absolutely need it, but there is no way I'll get past £2500-2700
I personally havent looked into them during the price, my car budget is about £1000, maybe less, I can likely dredge up a bit more money if I absolutely need it, but there is no way I'll get past £2500-2700

A car for £1k and you want to do over 200 miles a week?

You're find it extremely hard to find a car for that sort of driving with your budget. That's around 800 miles a week, give or take (accidents, peak times, congestion, blocked lanes, etc).

Why is your college so far away?
An Audi A2 1.4 TDi 75BHP would do 200 miles per week easily. And only drink 3 and half gallons of diesel doing it. It would also be reasonably comfortable for a small car.
Reply 7
****ty luck, they moved the course from a college about a mile and a half from me (~30 min walk uphill) to one 30 odd miles away
Reply 8
I never actually considered the A2, I might look into but I'm always looking to get the best MPG I can, which is why A3s and such came up as they're always quoted 60+ MPG when it comes to diesels
just don't get a black box, especially if you're commuting... you'll inevitably end up with a terrible score for harsh braking after being cut up 5x a day or some rubbish
Three days a week for 40 weeks a year. Surely the train or bus would be better.
I never actually considered the A2, I might look into but I'm always looking to get the best MPG I can, which is why A3s and such came up as they're always quoted 60+ MPG when it comes to diesels

Judge cars by their real world mpg. Not by ther official figures, due to the flawed nature of the official tests.
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/audi/a3-2008

The aluminium body, aerodynamic shape and no DPF help give the A2 1.4 TDi better real world fuel economy than any A3 you can buy for reasonable money.
Any Ford car will be sufficient
Reply 13
Original post by barnetlad
Three days a week for 40 weeks a year. Surely the train or bus would be better.

Currently going by bus, it's killing my back and I'm too young to get back issues, thanks. (There isn't a train option, sadly)
Reply 14
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Judge cars by their real world mpg. Not by ther official figures, due to the flawed nature of the official tests.
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/audi/a3-2008

The aluminium body, aerodynamic shape and no DPF help give the A2 1.4 TDi better real world fuel economy than any A3 you can buy for reasonable money.

I've seen the 1.6 TDi A3s going for just under a grand, which are the ones with nice MPG quotes
Reply 15
Original post by J0n3zviper
Any Ford car will be sufficient

I've checked that, can't get any cheap enough with high enough MPG, none really above 51-52MPG while other cars are quoting 60+ and they seem more expensive to acquire too.
I've seen the 1.6 TDi A3s going for just under a grand, which are the ones with nice MPG quotes

The cheapest A3 1.6 TDi that I've seen in Autotrader and ebay is £1800. And that appears to be the one with Honest John real world mpg of 52 mpg.
Reply 17
The cheapest A3 1.6 TDi that I've seen in Autotrader and ebay is £1800. And that appears to be the one with Honest John real world mpg of 52 mpg.

Check Autotrader, thats where I find them
Check Autotrader, thats where I find them

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?sort=price-asc&radius=1500&postcode=sw1a2jl&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&make=AUDI&model=A3&fuel-type=Diesel&maximum-badge-engine-size=1.6

That's what I got when I put Audi, A3, diesel, <= 1.6 litres, sorted by lowest price first.
Cheapest comes up at £1800. Am I missing something?
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?sort=price-asc&radius=1500&postcode=sw1a2jl&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&make=AUDI&model=A3&fuel-type=Diesel&maximum-badge-engine-size=1.6

That's what I got when I put Audi, A3, diesel, <= 1.6 litres, sorted by lowest price first.
Cheapest comes up at £1800. Am I missing something?

Ditto? Plenty of the older 04-10 1.9/2.0 A3 TDI's for around a grand, but i'm having to raise the price to 2k see to see any 1.6s, I'd be pretty leery of any 2010+ Audi for a grand tbh, and i'm generally quite happy buying older cars.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending