The Student Room Group

GCSE stress

So basically I have my mocks in a few weeks now and I rlly want to achieve good grades ideally grade 6 and above. During the half term I have been waking up at 5am and I would study until 9am taking 20mins break in between each hour. And then I would start again at 1:00pm until 5:00 of course also taking breaks.

I’m really stressed and I really want to do well. So do you have any tips in general for what I could be doing in my last week before the mocks in order to boost my marks?
Original post by Smoky saif
So basically I have my mocks in a few weeks now and I rlly want to achieve good grades ideally grade 6 and above. During the half term I have been waking up at 5am and I would study until 9am taking 20mins break in between each hour. And then I would start again at 1:00pm until 5:00 of course also taking breaks.

I’m really stressed and I really want to do well. So do you have any tips in general for what I could be doing in my last week before the mocks in order to boost my marks?

Do overviews rather than looking at every single piece of revision as that will be overloading you. To decrease stress look at meditation (I use headspace) and it really does work and is only 5 mins!! Also do practice essay, which you’ve probs heard before. A balance of sleep is also key. Have someone you can talk to if the stress gets worse too. Also if you want high marks then look at classmates or past essay on here to see what they done right. If you need examples for English (near to full marks) then I can send them. Hope that helps, ask anything if you need to. Also create a small list of things to include for each subject for each exam eg:

English lit macbeth essay (I write it on flashcards)
-alternative views
Context in intro and conclusion
-auteurs purpose
-include form structures and language
-talk about themes
(There’s more but if you want I’ll send a pic instead)

So that way I’m going over what to do in order to get high marks (notice it isn’t specified for any book or topic/ question meaning you remember that and you will still know what to include for any question that comes up so you tick each box for markscheme)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Yeah that helps thanks, and yes please send the English examples that would be appreciated thanks(:
Reply 3

The enthusiasm is really good as it shows you care, but one really important thing is you health. Id say probably dont wake up so early. Allow your body to relax as well as sometimes overload isnt too good and you could burn out.
Im in year 11 aswell and I was like this until i burnt out and it wasn't great. :frown:
Id say perhaps focus on areas that are likely to come up on the exam/ areas you struggle with the most. Then consolidate with practice exam questions
I totally feel you on this I really wanna do well but I also need to remember than i'm not a robot and am allowed to let myself relax (obviously when needed tho) :smile:
Yeah that helps thanks, and yes please send the English examples that would be appreciated thanks(:

Do you want me to do it on here or somewhere else like snap as on here you can’t click on it to print off or zoom in
Reply 5
Yeah ok cool my snap is saify_003
Reply 6
Thanks for the feedback must appreciated
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by ada.nnax
The enthusiasm is really good as it shows you care, but one really important thing is you health. Id say probably dont wake up so early. Allow your body to relax as well as sometimes overload isnt too good and you could burn out.
Im in year 11 aswell and I was like this until i burnt out and it wasn't great. :frown:
Id say perhaps focus on areas that are likely to come up on the exam/ areas you struggle with the most. Then consolidate with practice exam questions
I totally feel you on this I really wanna do well but I also need to remember than i'm not a robot and am allowed to let myself relax (obviously when needed tho) :smile:

I understand. This year is a stressful one which tests discipline and dedication. Thank you for your feedback (:
Reply 8
Original post by Isabelpayne200
Do you want me to do it on here or somewhere else like snap as on here you can’t click on it to print off or zoom in

Snapchat is saify_003
What kind of grades do you currently get? Which subjects do you need to improve on most? If waking up at 5am is earlier than normal for you, then that's not really a problem considering you go to sleep earlier and make sure you get enough sleep. For me, that is way too early to wake up and then start revising. I guess I don't have to revise much as other people since I already get high grades but you don't need to spend that much time if it makes you feel stressed. You should also try revise at break or lunch so you don't have to revise as much after school if you want to continue revising the same amount.
These books are brilliant!!!! Especially for grade 7 and above

9B59C883-0275-4777-8682-269181E526AA.jpg.jpeg

7D64E1AC-4112-4A36-B8C0-29F5136BCE48.jpg.jpeg (there’s power and conflict if that’s the cluster you do)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Isabelpayne200
These books are brilliant!!!! Especially for grade 7 and above

9B59C883-0275-4777-8682-269181E526AA.jpg.jpeg

7D64E1AC-4112-4A36-B8C0-29F5136BCE48.jpg.jpeg (there’s power and conflict if that’s the cluster you do)

Ty so much
Ty so much

There's another book which I think is better(aimed for 7+) . From year 9 to 10, i was just getting 6 and 7s and somehow on 1 or 2 essays got a 5 and I never really progressed. Come Year 11, I purchased two books (lit and lang) and since then, every English lit and lang essay I have achieved a 9.
Original post by AnonymousGuest
There's another book which I think is better(aimed for 7+) . From year 9 to 10, i was just getting 6 and 7s and somehow on 1 or 2 essays got a 5 and I never really progressed. Come Year 11, I purchased two books (lit and lang) and since then, every English lit and lang essay I have achieved a 9.

What book is this, please show me
What book is this, please show me

I'm sorry that's confidential
Original post by AnonymousGuest
I'm sorry that's confidential

Why would that be so?

There are many desperate souls out there wanting English help, and this is your appalling competitive spirit stopping you from sharing the book.

Besides even if you shared it I am sure your competitive nature would make sure that you share the wrong book. People like this do not belong on TSR.
Original post by Winteriscold
Why would that be so?

There are many desperate souls out there wanting English help, and this is your appalling competitive spirit stopping you from sharing the book.

Besides even if you shared it I am sure your competitive nature would make sure that you share the wrong book. People like this do not belong on TSR.

I agree, not many students look at this thread and certainly not enough to change the grade boundaries in the rare event we dramatically improve our grades, honestly just look at the lower sets in the school everyone does the same English paper, so the grade boundaries won't even be that difficult anyway.. Any CGP books help like really. Atm I'm just trying to remember a template full mark answer in my head for each question

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending