The Student Room Group

Is it possible to crash three Highers?

Going into 6th year next year and am planning on picking up 3 subjects. I was wondering whether or not it would be feasible to crash Higher in 3 subjects with no prior experience.
Original post by 123ertend
Going into 6th year next year and am planning on picking up 3 subjects. I was wondering whether or not it would be feasible to crash Higher in 3 subjects with no prior experience.

I think it depends on the wider context, as having knowledge of some subjects/the way they are examined can make it slightly easier.

What were your S4 subjects and grades, what are you doing in S5 and would you plan to do anything else in addition to the 3 crash highers in S6?
Reply 2
Original post by Labrador99
I think it depends on the wider context, as having knowledge of some subjects/the way they are examined can make it slightly easier.

What were your S4 subjects and grades, what are you doing in S5 and would you plan to do anything else in addition to the 3 crash highers in S6?

Thank you for answering.

In 4th year I took:
National 5 Maths - No Award
National 5 English - Passed with C
National 5 Geography - Didn't go to exam
National 5 Art & Design - Told not to go to exam, got N4
National 5 Design - Grade D
National 4 Hospitality Practical Cookery - Passed

All of the grades I got were terrible as I had never studied in my life and after being so disgraceful I decided to start studying in S5.

What I am currently doing in S5:
National 5 Maths - Working grade A2, Feels easy and fun now after studying
Higher English - ?, Feels easy but boring
National 5 Art & Design - Working grade A2, Feels easy but don't really want to take this
National 5 Hospitality Practical Cookery - ?, Feels easy and fun
National 5 Physical Education - Working grade B2, Theory easy (just taking notes), practical a bit hard as I'm not very fit (was considering a job related to this)

What I was planning on doing in S6:
Higher Physical Education
Crash Higher Chemistry
Crash Higher Physics
Crash Higher Biology
Either Advanced Higher English or Higher Maths (Considering Maths more due to English feeling boring)

I have always wanted a job related to science but decided to drop all sciences up until now as I always got bad marks on tests in S1-S3, but I believe if I study N5 Chemistry, Physics & Biology in my own time as well as the subjects I currently have I can get a fairly good grade if I crash Higher in S6.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3

Hi,

I can only share my own experience crashing one Higher (Business Management). It was hard! I think you're giving yourself a difficult time if you crash one, let alone 3. I got As in all my other subjects but a C in Business and felt I was putting much more effort into this as I had little prior knowledge. Whatever you decide to do is ultimately your choice and if you feel able to put in the effort then that's amazing, but I advise going a little easier on yourself by not having 3 crash Highers. Wishing you the best x
Thank you for answering.

In 4th year I took:
National 5 Maths - No Award
National 5 English - Passed with C
National 5 Geography - Didn't go to exam
National 5 Art & Design - Told not to go to exam, got N4
National 5 Design - Grade D
National 4 Hospitality Practical Cookery - Passed

All of the grades I got were terrible as I had never studied in my life and after being so disgraceful I decided to start studying in S5.

What I am currently doing in S5:
National 5 Maths - Working grade A2, Feels easy and fun now after studying
Higher English - ?, Feels easy but boring
National 5 Art & Design - Working grade A2, Feels easy but don't really want to take this
National 5 Hospitality Practical Cookery - ?, Feels easy and fun
National 5 Physical Education - Working grade B2, Theory easy (just taking notes), practical a bit hard as I'm not very fit (was considering a job related to this)

What I was planning on doing in S6:
Higher Physical Education
Crash Higher Chemistry
Crash Higher Physics
Crash Higher Biology
Either Advanced Higher English or Higher Maths (Considering Maths more due to English feeling boring)

I have always wanted a job related to science but decided to drop all sciences up until now as I always got bad marks on tests in S1-S3, but I believe if I study N5 Chemistry, Physics & Biology in my own time as well as the subjects I currently have I can get a fairly good grade if I crash Higher in S6.

:wavey: Those are some great working grades you're at for this year! :smile:

I wouldn't advise doing 3 crash higher sciences alongside 2 other subjects...No science uni course needs all 3 of them, and when unis request 2 science subjects, maths can usually count as one of those :smile: I would therefore suggest doing maybe 2 crash highers (or even just one + another of your nat 5 subjects at higher), and then higher PE & maths. (Generally, biology is considered easiest to crash out of the 3) This would still be quite a big undertaking though, and you would need to do some work over the summer I think so that you're up to speed with everything covered at Nat 5. The assignments that you do in science will be new to you as well, so that's the highest workload I'd recommend taking on, as though 4 subjects won't give a completely full timetable, you will have quite a big workload in S6. Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply