The Student Room Group

Can I teach A-level with experience in Access to He

Hi,

I am currently doing my Pgce and I am on my placement teaching Access to He History and Politics. I am really happy where I am and have got used to the students that I am teaching and also my mentor. However, I have been recently told that majority of the jobs are at A-level and that I will not be accepted into A-level jobs because my experience is in Access to He.
I have been recommended to change my placement if I can and if not do my Pgce next year.

This has made me feel very disheartened! why give access as a placement to students and then basically suggest that they won’t find a job???

I want to know how realistic that is and if I will be a considered applicant if I were to apply to teaching A-level with my experience in Access teaching.
Original post by Albsxxx
Hi,

I am currently doing my Pgce and I am on my placement teaching Access to He History and Politics. I am really happy where I am and have got used to the students that I am teaching and also my mentor. However, I have been recently told that majority of the jobs are at A-level and that I will not be accepted into A-level jobs because my experience is in Access to He.
I have been recommended to change my placement if I can and if not do my Pgce next year.

This has made me feel very disheartened! why give access as a placement to students and then basically suggest that they won’t find a job???

I want to know how realistic that is and if I will be a considered applicant if I were to apply to teaching A-level with my experience in Access teaching.

You can probably find a job anyway there is a severe lack of teachers in general the government literally advertises for it on the tv and gives out grants for it which if u have done it u probably know so it’s probably fine - supply in demand
Original post by Albsxxx
Hi,

There's a lot going on here.

Is your pgce in FE skills and post 16? Is it through a university or sponsored by a college / school..

You are right in that the majority of post 16-18 jobs are in a level (access to he is usually 18 +?)

As for the getting a job based on your experience I dont think anyone here - unless we have some heads of departments - will be able to answer that. You would need to look at the application requirements on the job descriptions. There should be plenty on TES soon.
Original post by Albsxxx
Hi,

You should have two placements during the PGCE- will your other one offer you A-level experience?

I disagree that it will be necessarily easy to find a job- post 16 jobs are more popular, and history is not really a shortage subject. Many experienced teachers moving out of schools will look for post 16 jobs. However, a lot can also depend on what the job market is like where you are.

Talk to your ITT provider and find out if you will get A-level experience next placement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending