The Student Room Group

Are school detentions effective?

Poll

Are school detentions effective?

What are thoughts guys do school detentions make students into "better" students
Edit: my poll got featured?!?! (04-11-2019)
Edit 2: for those said yes why do you think that they are effective? (I picked sometimes I think?)
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1st superstar
What are thoughts guys do school detentions make students into "better" students

I think that school detentions are not effective. In detention, you are meant to reflect on what you have done wrong, but I know first hand that you end up thinking other things.
I have spent a lot of time sat in detentions, they taught me not to get caught.
In high school no because we just spent the detention laughing with the guy in charge.
In sixth form no because the teacher registers then leaves so we just watch Netflix or whatever.
Original post by Glaz
In high school no because we just spent the detention laughing with the guy in charge.
In sixth form no because the teacher registers then leaves so we just watch Netflix or whatever.

It’s weird you could still get detentions in Sixth Form...

You’d think by that point you’d want to be there so wouldn’t misbehave 😅
Original post by CTLeafez

It's not misbehaving - it's mostly for swearing, headphones or having our phone out.
never works for me I just sit there and learn no nutritional VaLuE
Original post by Glaz
It's not misbehaving - it's mostly for swearing, headphones or having our phone out.

That is misbehaving, going against the school’s policy regarding headphones etc 😂

In my school in 6th form you get detention for not doing your HW, being late, misbehaving etc.. even worst for one of my physics teachers (I have 2 and this rule probably applies for all of my teachers) if you don't do/complete all of your HW you have to do/complete it during the detention and THEN you are set more (extra) work to do after crazy
That is misbehaving, going against the school’s policy regarding headphones etc 😂

Nah but it's not the same kinda thing as high school lmao
Reply 10
My school has cancelled the Wednesday weekly detentions for missing homework, but I think they totally work for me.
After going to one of these in the 2017-18 school year, I went on a streak of 15 consecutive school months without missing a piece of homework.
Reply 11
never did anything for me
Original post by 1st superstar
Edit: my poll got featured?!?! (04-11-2019)
Edit 2: for those said yes why do you think that they are effective? (I picked sometimes I think?)

Nope. Makes people feel mad and commit more ‘crimes’ or as @DiddyDecAlt said makes them more detrrmined to not get caught. It also makes you think of revenge.
Mostly the people who get detentions don't care, so it definitely doesn't work in my school, but it's a good incentive to do your homework I guess :smile:
dunno, never really been in one for a good reason. It prevents me from coming late to class and school tho.
Reply 15
Lol saw this poll after I was given a detention for being 1 minute later but anyway
if most people say that detentions aren't effective, what do you suggest instead?
Original post by mabinty
Lol saw this poll after I was given a detention for being 1 minute later but anyway
if most people say that detentions aren't effective, what do you suggest instead?

Idk being told how to not make the same mistake again so you don't have to be in detention??
Nah I lived in detention and learnt nothing
We had detentions in the computer room and just played games on them in our detentions.
Was also useful because it was the good computer room so I could finish off coursework I was behind on
You get to skip to the front of the queue as well
And on Tuesdays we had the teacher on detention that didn't care so we could just talk and do whatever we wanted
I acc loved it
Original post by Suchomimus
I think that school detentions are not effective. In detention, you are meant to reflect on what you have done wrong, but I know first hand that you end up thinking other things.

Agreed
i voted for sometimes on the poll because detentions are only an effective punishment for some students. for example, a detention would be an effective punishment for a student who is usually well behaved, but slips up once or twice, because they spend the time in detention regretting what they did because usually they would be having a fun time elsewhere. but as for the students that are regularly misbehaving, all a detention does for them is allows them to have time to think of more, unique ways of misbehaving rather than reflecting on what they’ve done wrong. for these students, all a detention does is makes them acknowledge that if they want to continue with their behaviour, they need to be more secretive & sneaky about it because then they won’t get punished for it.

but i don’t really know what else could be put in place of a detention :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending