The Student Room Group

Piano

How can I learn to play the piano when I don’t have a piano?? Or can’t afford one.

I thinks it’s such a cool instrument but can I learn to play without one?
This is probably a painfully stupid question lol.
Original post by JakeTSR
How can I learn to play the piano when I don’t have a piano?? Or can’t afford one.

Can you afford a keyboard, rather than a piano? You can get second-hand keyboards for little money on eBay, and this gives you at least a route into it. I"d recommend proper tuition if you want to learn properly, but again that will cost money. Unless you have friends/family who are willing and able to teach you, I"m afraid music can be an expensive endeavour.

Are you still at school/college? What music facilities are there?
Original post by JakeTSR

You can always get an electric piano, still not cheap but a lot cheaper than an upright piano
Original post by JakeTSR

use an app called 'YOUSICIAN' u can download it on any device. even on ur phone - if u wish.
Original post by Reality Check
Can you afford a keyboard, rather than a piano? You can get second-hand keyboards for little money on eBay, and this gives you at least a route into it. I"d recommend proper tuition if you want to learn properly, but again that will cost money. Unless you have friends/family who are willing and able to teach you, I"m afraid music can be an expensive endeavour.

Are you still at school/college? What music facilities are there?

To be honest, I don't think a keyboard is very good. If someone is seriously considering learning piano, keyboards aren't great. When I play a keyboard it has a very different feel to a piano. The keys are too light, which is not something you want to get used to when learning to play piano. So if you are serious about it you should get a electric piano and proper lessons anyway.
Original post by yankang.qi
To be honest, I don't think a keyboard is very good. If someone is seriously considering learning piano, keyboards aren't great. When I play a keyboard it has a very different feel to a piano. The keys are too light, which is not something you want to get used to when learning to play piano. So if you are serious about it you should get a electric piano and proper lessons anyway.

I agree, but this isn't helpful for the OP, who has said already that he can't afford a piano. :smile:
Original post by Reality Check
I agree, but this isn't helpful for the OP, who has said already that he can't afford a piano. :smile:

Yea that's true, @JakeTSR what sort of budget are you looking at?
Original post by yurgirln33s
use an app called 'YOUSICIAN' u can download it on any device. even on ur phone - if u wish.

Thanks I’ll check it out.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by JakeTSR
Thanks I’ll check it out.

no problem

Quick Reply

Latest