The Student Room Group

RAF pilot competitiveness

I've currently applied for medicine but was considering joining the RAF as a multi-engine pilot if I didn't get any medicine offers. What are the salaries roughly like and how competitive is it to become one?
Reply 1
Original post by sam72016
I've currently applied for medicine but was considering joining the RAF as a multi-engine pilot if I didn't get any medicine offers. What are the salaries roughly like and how competitive is it to become one?

You don't join as an ME pilot, you join as Pilot and they decide.

Salary is a matter of public record, you can Google RAF officer salaries.

And it's more competitive than medicine by several orders of magnitude.

There was an old stat that for every 1 pilot who became operational at the end of all the flying training, 10,000 people had visited an AFCO to express their interest.
That number won't apply any more - we take on far fewer pilots...
(edited 4 years ago)

Hi Sam

Couple of points:

You don’t join as a multi-engine pilot. You join as a pilot and then are sent to whichever aircraft is appropriate. It’s very competitive, probably as competitive as medicine is

The salaries are published online. A small amount of searching should easily find what you need.
Reply 3
Original post by Drewski
You don't join as an ME pilot, you join as Pilot and they decide.

Salary is a matter of public record, you can Google RAF officer salaries.

And it's more competitive than medicine by several orders of magnitude.

There was an old stat - that's probably not accurate any more - that for every 1 pilot who became operational at the end of all the flying training, 10,000 people had visited an AFCO to express their interest.
That number won't apply any more - we take on far fewer pilots...

More competitive than medicine? That's insane I never knew. Do your grades have a big impact? E.g. good GCSE's and A-levels or do they focus on other factors as well
Reply 4
More competitive than medicine? That's insane I never knew. Do your grades have a big impact? E.g. good GCSE's and A-levels or do they focus on other factors as well

Easily. I mean, you could break it down to slightly silly levels and simply ask; how many doctors are there in this country Vs how many military pilots are there? (Clue, the RAF in total is ~32,000, around 5-10% are pilots)

To be a pilot you'll have to be strong all round. Good grades. Smash the aptitude test. Demonstrate leadership potential. Show that you want to join the RAF and that you've worked towards it. Etc etc
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Drewski
Easily. I mean, you could break it down to slightly silly levels and simply ask; how many doctors are there in this country Vs how many military pilots are there? (Clue, the RAF in total is ~32,000, less than 10% are pilots)

To be a pilot you'll have to be strong all round. Good grades. Smash the aptitude test. Demonstrate leadership potential. Show that you want to join the RAF and that you've worked towards it. Etc etc

I'm still surprised that it's a lot more competitive than medicine. For medicine considering for an undergraduate entry it's roughly 10 applicants per place, how many applicants per place are there to be a pilot/officer in the RAF?
Reply 6
I'm still surprised that it's a lot more competitive than medicine. For medicine considering for an undergraduate entry it's roughly 10 applicants per place, how many applicants per place are there to be a pilot/officer in the RAF?

Re bold; why?

Honestly hundreds. Re-read my first reply.

That stat was based on a time when we took on a hundred+ pilots a year. These days we're taking on maybe 20 or so a year.

Military flying shouldn't ever be considered a back up. The odds of getting in are vanishingly small.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Drewski
Honestly, hundreds. Re-read my first reply.

That stat was based on a time when we took on a hundred+ pilots a year. These days we're taking on maybe 20 or so a year.

Military flying shouldn't ever be considered a back up. The odds of getting in are vanishingly small.

Oh wow that's incredible, I never knew that it was such a competitive career :frown:. I wanted to be a commercial pilot but I'm slightly red-green colourblind and wasn't sure how to check if it was eligible enough for commercial flying. I done an eye test but it was very little help.

How do I know if my colourblindness would affect my flying? Because I thought they only do medical tests for commerical flying once youve payed £100k and THEN done your medical test.
Reply 8
Oh wow that's incredible, I never knew that it was such a competitive career :frown:. I wanted to be a commercial pilot but I'm slightly red-green colourblind and wasn't sure how to check if it was eligible enough for commercial flying. I done an eye test but it was very little help.

How do I know if my colourblindness would affect my flying? Because I thought they only do medical tests for commerical flying once youve payed £100k and THEN done your medical test.

Yeah, it means you've got no chance in hell. Sorry. Not at a professional level.
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
Yeah, it means you've got no chance in hell. Sorry. Not at a professional level.

Do you know if there's any way I can check, specifically for commerical pilots? That's bad so no chance of me becoming a commercial pilot either? Not military
Do you know if there's any way I can check, specifically for commerical pilots? That's bad so no chance of me becoming a commercial pilot either? Not military

How do you know you're slightly red-green blind?
Reply 11
Original post by Drewski
How do you know you're slightly red-green blind?

I done an eye test at the optician before but was unsure how It'd affect my chances of becoming a pilot. It's not complete it's only partial colour blindness
I done an eye test at the optician before but was unsure how It'd affect my chances of becoming a pilot. It's not complete it's only partial colour blindness

If they've diagnosed you, then I think that's pretty much guaranteed a 100% permanent bar to any kind of professional flying license.
Reply 13
Original post by Drewski
If they've diagnosed you, then I think that's pretty much guaranteed a 100% permanent bar to any kind of professional flying license.

Do you know of any other ways to check so I'm certain a flying career isn't compatible for me
Do you know of any other ways to check so I'm certain a flying career isn't compatible for me

To check if you're colourblind?

Search online for Ishihara CVD tests. There are several or try this:

http://www.opticien-lentilles.com/daltonien_beta/new_test_daltonien.php
Reply 16
Original post by uberteknik
Search online for Ishihara CVD tests. There are several or try this:

http://www.opticien-lentilles.com/daltonien_beta/new_test_daltonien.php

Thanks that was quite helpful, I got 21% deuteranopia. But I want to know how exactly this would affect my chances of flying, I can't find any direct answers online.
Thanks that was quite helpful, I got 21% deuteranopia. But I want to know how exactly this would affect my chances of flying, I can't find any direct answers online.

You can't do it online, you need a professional test. To get a reliable idea, Google 'aviation medical exams' and find your nearest Doctor that will do a CAA medical. Explain you need an eye test to find out the specifics of possible colour blindness. They will be able to test you and give you a definitive answer to what, if any, problem it might be. It will cost you, but it's the only way to reliably know if there's an issue.

Colour blindness is usually a complete bar to any professional flying job, which is why you need a proper answer, if you are serious about the career option.

Go to an RAF recruitment centre and ask. Colourblindess means you wouldn't be able to get license which allows you to fly at night. Sucks but everything is red/green.

Quick Reply

Latest