The Student Room Group

Help! Is this grammatically correct?

Hi I was practising some creative writing and I'm not sure this sentence is grammatically correct.

The exorbitantly priced stalls wafted an amalgamation of aromas; marvellously crafted with caramel, popcorn and candy floss.

Thanks
Original post by nvijayan14
Hi I was practising some creative writing and I'm not sure this sentence is grammatically correct.

The exorbitantly priced stalls wafted an amalgamation of aromas; marvellously crafted with caramel, popcorn and candy floss.

Thanks

Looks all good to me, bar a single change [The comma after popcorn]. In my personal opinion it looks like great writing too. [I'm no english teacher tho just a student]

The exorbitantly priced stalls wafted an amalgamation of aromas; marvellously crafted with caramel, popcorn, and candy floss.
Reply 2
Original post by drshadowgames
Looks all good to me, bar a single change [The comma after popcorn]. In my personal opinion it looks like great writing too. [I'm no english teacher tho just a student]

The exorbitantly priced stalls wafted an amalgamation of aromas; marvellously crafted with caramel, popcorn, and candy floss.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 3
This would be better:

From the stalls, there wafted an amalgamation of aromas: marvellously crafted caramel, creamy candy floss and exorbitantly priced popcorn.
Reply 4
Original post by Davy611
This would be better:

From the stalls, there wafted an amalgamation of aromas: marvellously crafted caramel, creamy candy floss and exorbitantly priced popcorn.

Thanks I ended up using that in my English Language exam
Reply 5

Delighted :smile:

How did it go?
Reply 7
How did it go?

I found paper 2 much easier than 1 because I was aware of the texts before the exam
Reply 8

Why does the serial comma need to be there?

Thanks

Yes, it's grammatically correct. Nice call.

However, I think the semi-colon actually separates a dependent clause. I think there might be a punctuation error (comma splice) here.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by tolgarda
why does the serial comma need to be there?

oxford comma > anything else
Original post by twist-and-shout
oxford comma > anything else

I guess? I can't see any ambiguity here, but I respect the comma as people do usually pause before the final item in a syndeton.
Original post by Tolgarda
I guess? I can't see any ambiguity here, but I respect the comma as people do usually pause before the final item in a syndeton.

Without the Oxford comma I think that there can be confusion with both clauses. Such as:

I like eggs, toast and orange juice.
I like eggs, toast, and orange juice.

The first makes it seem like the toast and orange juice are one (disgusting) combination, if you get me? Bad example lol. Couldn’t think of anything.

I feel like the only time you don’t really need it is when you have a sentence like:

I kissed him and wondered...

Because the two actions are mutual.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by twist-and-shout
Without the Oxford comma I think that there can be confusion with both clauses. Such as:

I like eggs, toast and orange juice.
I like eggs, toast, and orange juice.

The first makes it seem like the toast and orange juice are one (disgusting) combination, if you get me? Bad example lol. Couldn’t think of anything.

I feel like the only time you don’t really need it is when you have a sentence like:

I kissed him and wondered...

Because the two actions are mutual.

But I don't think it makes it seem like that. The co-ordinating conjunction for most readers separated the last two items in the syndeton with three items. It's very difficult to see that as a combination unless you state otherwise with more clarity to identify it as a combination (e.g. 'with orange juice' or 'the combination of...').
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending