The Student Room Group

Issue with new car

I purchased a car this week but have a major problem - I have nowhere to store it! My street is always full of cars so the plan was to park in the next street, but didn't realise until after i purchased it you need a resident permit to park there! I'm currently parked on my street but am too scared to drive anywhere incase I come back and there's no where to park! Think I'm going to have to wait for my V5C to come through and try and sell it to a trader. Any thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Dinosaur27
I purchased a car this week but have a major problem - I have nowhere to store it! My street is always full of cars so the plan was to park in the next street, but didn't realise until after i purchased it you need a resident permit to park there! I'm currently parked on my street but am too scared to drive anywhere incase I come back and there's no where to park! Think I'm going to have to wait for my V5C to come through and try and sell it to a trader. Any thoughts?

Did... did that thought not occur to you BEFORE buying the car?
Have you considered parking two streets away?

Isn't that a bit extreme?
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
Have you considered parking two streets away?

The street i intended to park is on the other side of a main road, and that along with all the other streets over there you need a permit. All the other streets in my side of the main road you don't need a permit but not really suitable for parking.

Original post by Reality Check
Isn't that a bit extreme?

I might have no choice.
Contact your local council. Explain your situation. See what they suggest.

You have just as much right to own a car as any other adult. And you have just as much right to park it near your home as any other adult.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
And you have just as much right to park it near your home as any other adult.

If there’s no parking restrictions on this street then they have no ‘right’ to park there, regardless of whether they have a home there or not. The only thing the council would be able to do is log that residents are having issues parking.
If there’s no parking restrictions on this street then they have no ‘right’ to park there, regardless of whether they have a home there or not. The only thing the council would be able to do is log that residents are having issues parking.

How much right do the people that live in the homes next to Dinosaur27's have to park in that particular street?
That's how much right Dinosaur27 has to park there. Which is me saying exactly the same thing as I said in my previous post but with different words.

What you tend to find with resident parking zones is that all the visitor parking gets moved onto any nearby unrestricted roads, making finding an available slot in those areas very difficult during peak parking hours.

How is it fair that someone living in a close by road should be given a resident parking permit whilst the OP isn't? That's just a form of parking lottery. It's not fair.
Local councils may be flawed organisations in many ways, but one flaw that they don't have is that they are arbitrarily unfair.
Fairness is irrelevant, regardless of whats happening in adjacent streets.

If the parking is unrestricted, it’s first come, first served.

By all means, the OP could petition the council if there’s an issue. But that’s likely to be a long process and isn’t going to help them now when they don’t want to drive their car for fear of losing ‘their’ space.
"Crap, can't get parked where I like, best sell the car" :tongue:

Given you bought a car, I'm guessing you need it for something, right? Like driving to work or whatever?
This thread has made my day 😂😂😂

Next time check you have somewhere to park it before you buy it, you absolute weapon 😂
Reply 12
The dealer is offering to buy back but only at trade price. Think I might take them up on it. I will lose a few hundred but it will be lesson learned.
Fairness is irrelevant, regardless of whats happening in adjacent streets.

If the parking is unrestricted, it’s first come, first served.

By all means, the OP could petition the council if there’s an issue. But that’s likely to be a long process and isn’t going to help them now when they don’t want to drive their car for fear of losing ‘their’ space.

"Residents only parking is used in areas where extraneous parking can reduce the space available for the residents of that area.

They are not used to privatise individual spaces, to limit the number of vehicles any individual can have or to create conflict between neighbouring streets."

Source: https://www.wakefield.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/parking/parking-permits-apply-and-renew

Dinosaur27 should be able to apply for a residents parking permit that will allow him or her to park in a nearby residents only area in the eventually that there are no available parking spaces in his or her street.
The dealer is offering to buy back but only at trade price. Think I might take them up on it. I will lose a few hundred but it will be lesson learned.

Didn't you buy your car for a purpose though? Surely you still want/need it for something? As Dunnig Kruger said, ask if you can apply for a permit in the next street.
(edited 4 years ago)
Dealer prob doesn't believe their luck. :tongue:

Beats me why don't just park in a different street when need be like most other people who don't have driveways/permits (It's not like having a permit means you can always park either, it just means you're allowed to)
Reply 16
I'm finding more room to park,which is good, but I'm finding i hate driving. I'm actually more scared than I was during lessons. I'm still tempted to sell it to somewhere like we buy any car. The driving instructor said I'm good at driving but I just don't feel safe or confident on the roads and keep expecting something terrible to happen.
Reply 17
Whats the car, mileage, previous owners and service history like? Does it run perfectly, any issues? I'll take it off you for a fair price.
I'm finding more room to park,which is good, but I'm finding i hate driving. I'm actually more scared than I was during lessons. I'm still tempted to sell it to somewhere like we buy any car. The driving instructor said I'm good at driving but I just don't feel safe or confident on the roads and keep expecting something terrible to happen.

That's pretty normal tbh, it's a big step from having a watchful instructor and a 2nd pair of eyes at all times. Confidence just comes with repetition.
Reply 19
Original post by StriderHort
That's pretty normal tbh, it's a big step from having a watchful instructor and a 2nd pair of eyes at all times. Confidence just comes with repetition.

Yes but I'm terrified. And if something terrible happens I'll start wishing i had sold it.

Quick Reply

Latest