The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Language RESIT Paper 1 4th November 2019

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rania01
i may have only left 30 minutes for question 5 and messed up big time....... :frown: i used a variety of punctuation and linguistic devices etc.... but it’s only like a side and a half aaaaa

Did you do a story or a description? What was the description question?
Original post by Evil Homer

Hey guys

With the big exams just a few days away I thought I would set up a thread for everyone to get together and do some last minute revision and then come back and chat about how it went after!

Date: Monday 4th November

AM/PM:AM

Length: 1hr 45min

Specification:https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/english/specifications/AQA-8700-SP-2015.PDF

Other Resources:

N/A

Good luck everyone you got this

if u fail to prepare prepare to fail
Hey guys I normally do q5 first and I wrote about a mountain climber and an avalanche, this is similar to the insert given but i had not read this insert before starting q5. does anyone know if I would lose marks for this
I did story for q5, I chose writing a story but used the setting of the picture, my story was basically the little girl is looking at the gnome and the gnome suddenly starts moving and the girl is spooked but the gone calls her a witch....fckkk Idk
Original post by Poojan Chotalia
Hey guys I normally do q5 first and I wrote about a mountain climber and an avalanche, this is similar to the insert given but i had not read this insert before starting q5. does anyone know if I would lose marks for this

It depends, was it a magical place?

That’s what I’m worrying about too.

I wrote a story about the file in the picture and used her setting and made it seem as if she was a witch and there was a moving gnome inside the snow globe
Reply 25
Original post by Evil Homer
How did it go today guys???

I never like having hopes in situations such as test and exams due to the fact that I don't want to jinx myself but I think it went rather well but that's all that I think of the exam because some of the question got me confused
Original post by Alayna1234
It depends, was it a magical place?

That’s what I’m worrying about too.

I wrote a story about the file in the picture and used her setting and made it seem as if she was a witch and there was a moving gnome inside the snow globe

No it was just a climber, climbing a moutain with his friends and the view was beautiful. I did the narrative question, decribe something beautifl. but i didnt realise the extract is about a snowmy mountain
Original post by Poojan Chotalia
No it was just a climber, climbing a moutain with his friends and the view was beautiful. I did the narrative question, decribe something beautifl. but i didnt realise the extract is about a snowmy mountain

I think I took the magical place too literally like I wrote about a talking gnome and a witch 💀

And I think you might be okay.

I think either way, we will probs get marks, but not full ofc.

We probs would’ve gotten zero if it was paper 2 section b cos that has no flexibility at all
I just did a descriptive piece about a winter wonderlands with animals and **** 😂😂 is that enough to get a 7 ( I want a 7 but I’ve already got a 5)
Came people drop good revision websites and videos, I need a 6 to get into university and I really want it. Any help is appreciated.
Original post by LUPINRED
I just did a descriptive piece about a winter wonderlands with animals and **** 😂😂 is that enough to get a 7 ( I want a 7 but I’ve already got a 5)

Same I’m aiming to get a 6/7

I don’t know what to do. I think I answered section b wrong
Reply 31
how much did you guy write for question 4 and 5 ,
Original post by Alayna1234
Same I’m aiming to get a 6/7

I don’t know what to do. I think I answered section b wrong

What did you write yours on?

If it’s something wintery then we could get away with it. I put Santa on mine description lmao.
Original post by Lils2003
I’m getting really anxious about the exams now, does anyone have any advice on how to boost a grade 4/5 answer to a solid grade 6 answer?

Ensure your punctuation and grammar is on point examiners take this very seriously...
Try and look up good terminology to include in your writing
Make sure you have a concise argument, and follow the PEEL structure (Point, Evidence, Explain, Link)
Look at Examiner reports to see what the high achievers have done, and also what mistakes to avoid
Also, Model student answers are amazing! Feel free to snatch and magpie their ideas
Mr Bruff is a saint, definitely use him
And lastly, relax... as long as you have a clean clear argument, with good spag, and you show the examiner what you know (make sure you sound confident in your writing), I don't see why not you can't achieve a grade 6.
Good luck!!!!
What was the insert about? And what did you have to write a story about? :smile:
Hi guysCan anyone advise if I have completely messed up question 5 today!? I chose to write a description of a beautiful place but reading some of the responses on this thread has made me second guess myself! Was I supposed to link the beautiful place to a snowy mountain type setting? Even if it didn’t directly ask us to do that? I wrote about a beautiful beach because I knew I could write that well.I have self studied English for the last year and this is my first ever gcse exam, so you see I’ve had little guidence on exam structure. If anyone could advise please that would be great!
I'm sitting this for my mocks, so this thread should be interesting.
How is everyone feeling after the exam?
Questions 1-4 I feel good! Question 5 not so good!!
Original post by Oldie100
Questions 1-4 I feel good! Question 5 not so good!!

Try to mentally forget about this paper and begin to focus on paper 2, you can do this! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending