The Student Room Group

How to hit 150g protein with £23 per week on food

As above, I wanna see if I can make that work with limited money due to being a student. And I don't have a lot of time to cook tho due to studying as I'm finding my course quite difficult atm.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
any recipes of cheap meals with high protein I can make or try to prep on Sundays or smthin?

I can have chicken and rice for one meal 5 times a week but thats only around 30g protein I think
then there are eggs which I could have a few a day to make 30ish grams a day
but idk what to have for breakfast or dinner
I could potentially get protein shakes but they can't be meal replacements and im broke :smile:
Reply 2
anybody?
Original post by Anonymous
any recipes of cheap meals with high protein I can make or try to prep on Sundays or smthin?

I can have chicken and rice for one meal 5 times a week but thats only around 30g protein I think
I could potentially get protein shakes but they can't be meal replacements and im broke :smile:

You only need ~1g of protein/ day, so unless you weigh 150kg of pure muscle (incredibly unlikely), I'd eat what you need, and only more if you're exercising a lot.
Reply 4
Original post by davidthomasjnr
You only need ~1g of protein/ day, so unless you weigh 150kg of pure muscle (incredibly unlikely), I'd eat what you need, and only more if you're exercising a lot.

i go to the gym and follow a plan given by one of my university instructors - Im gonna ask him about more nutritional help but im only gonna see him next friday so i just want some more advice
i weigh 80kg and I would ideally need 0.8-1g of protein per lbs of bw and I just need some budget friendly meals
Cheapest form of protein available is unflavoured whey protein, in terms of cost per gram of protein.
Eggs are cheap
Protein shake is cheap
Chicken slices (I add them to an omelette each morning)
Cows milk (drink with protein shake)
Chicken (so much protein in this).

What foods do you currently eat?

And if you aren’t already you should shop at Lidl
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Cheapest form of protein available is unflavoured whey protein, in terms of cost per gram of protein.

Yep and I buy from my protein where flavoured is same price as unflavoured. Strawberry cream flavour ftw.

Btw I can’t imagine drinking unflavoured protein would probably have to down it
Reply 8
Original post by SuperHuman98
Eggs are cheap
Protein shake is cheap
Chicken slices (I add them to an omelette each morning)
Cows milk (drink with protein shake)
Chicken (so much protein in this).

What foods do you currently eat?

And if you aren’t already you should shop at Lidl

I could potentially get protein shakes but they can't be meal replacements and im broke
why the hell do you need 150g of protein a day? that's a lot. Are you malnourished? do you have burns? Are you undergoing trauma? no man.
I could potentially get protein shakes but they can't be meal replacements and im broke

Breakfast:
Omelette + slices of chicken.
+ a protein shake (2 scoops).
+milk.

Peanut butter and toast (2 toast and 40g peanut butter) is a personal favourite of mine for calories and macros

So you would be around 70g after that.

How much do you weigh btw? 0.7-1g of protein per lb of bodyweight is what I aim for. (To gain muscle and strength)
(edited 4 years ago)
Breakfast:
Omelette + slices of chicken.
+ a protein shake (2 scoops).
+milk.

Peanut butter and toast (2 toast and 40g peanut butter) is a personal favourite of mine for calories and macros

So you would be around 70g after that.

How much do you weigh btw? 0.7-1g of protein per lb of bodyweight is what I aim for. (To gain muscle and strength)

Okay, let's say I have an 5 eggs and slices of chicken(half chicken slices from this cooked pack is 20g). That's like 50g.
Ill have the 2 scoops of protein powder during lectures as a snack. Which is 40g from MyProtein
Then chicken breast and rice with veg OR pasta and mince, which is around 30g I think
Then the snack u suggested, but how much protein does peanut butter have? never tried it, probs should have it with some fruits too right?
now it's around 120g or 130g assuming the toast and peanut butter has 10g
so whats the last meal? I can't think of anything tbh. I would be tired and should have a lot of work to do so I don't think I can do a lot of cooking

I weight 81kg btw
I don't think 0.7g per lbs is enough rlly because I go in a progressive overload and my lifts didn't really change
this was a 2 years ago and had 130g a day and didn't improve much when I was 16
bench went only went from 90kg to 92.5kg
deadlift went from 190kg to 200kg
squats went from 145kg to 150kg

this was in the span of 1 year, took a year break and now I want to make a change because I got a little fat too. But I lost weight and want to gain strength again. I would prefer not to go in a caloric surplus because I just don't feel like eating a lot.
Yep and I buy from my protein where flavoured is same price as unflavoured. Strawberry cream flavour ftw.

Btw I can’t imagine drinking unflavoured protein would probably have to down it

all my protein shakes+mass gains i've had to down. all taste like sh**
Endemame beans, tinned tuna, tinned sardines, tinned salmon plain Greek yoghurt sunflower seeds, cottage cheese,
All cheap and good protein value
why the hell do you need 150g of protein a day? that's a lot. Are you malnourished? do you have burns? Are you undergoing trauma? no man.

It’s to bulk up and gain muscles (alongside gym work).

It’s super difficult if you’re on a student budget. I usually have one chicken breast (which is 48-54g of protein) 3 eggs (21g of protein), two fish cakes (oven baked) which is 34g and a protein shake (22g) every day. It’s not 150g but it’s the best I personally can do on my budget.
Dry beans and lentils are good value, but take some time to cook.
Okay, let's say I have an 5 eggs and slices of chicken(half chicken slices from this cooked pack is 20g). That's like 50g.
Ill have the 2 scoops of protein powder during lectures as a snack. Which is 40g from MyProtein
Then chicken breast and rice with veg OR pasta and mince, which is around 30g I think
Then the snack u suggested, but how much protein does peanut butter have? never tried it, probs should have it with some fruits too right?
now it's around 120g or 130g assuming the toast and peanut butter has 10g
so whats the last meal? I can't think of anything tbh. I would be tired and should have a lot of work to do so I don't think I can do a lot of cooking

I weight 81kg btw
I don't think 0.7g per lbs is enough rlly because I go in a progressive overload and my lifts didn't really change
this was a 2 years ago and had 130g a day and didn't improve much when I was 16
bench went only went from 90kg to 92.5kg
deadlift went from 190kg to 200kg
squats went from 145kg to 150kg

this was in the span of 1 year, took a year break and now I want to make a change because I got a little fat too. But I lost weight and want to gain strength again. I would prefer not to go in a caloric surplus because I just don't feel like eating a lot.

There are other factors to take into account like total number of calories and also what programming you are doing and sleep. Your deadlift and squats are very impressive so you might just need to find the right more intermediate programme.

If you want to lose fat then just focus on eating at a caloric deficit and lifting and having decent amount of protein that way you will maintain your strength and technically be stronger at a lower bodyweight.

If you already got your squat to 150kg I don't think I am in a position to be telling you how to eat :tongue:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by davesantana
all my protein shakes+mass gains i've had to down. all taste like sh**

Depends. I have never had mass gainer.

For me I just stick to Starberry Cream from MyProtein that and Chocolate Smooth. Apparently the other flavours aren't great and they have loads of random flavour.

Maybe try blending your protein shake with fruits, or something to mae it taste better,
Depends. I have never had mass gainer.

For me I just stick to Starberry Cream from MyProtein that and Chocolate Smooth. Apparently the other flavours aren't great and they have loads of random flavour.

Maybe try blending your protein shake with fruits, or something to mae it taste better,

i get it from hollandandbarret. its fine i just gulp and rise with water. or use banana to mask it.
Original post by davesantana
i get it from hollandandbarret. its fine i just gulp and rise with water. or use banana to mask it.

Probably getting ripped off with their prices. Try the bulk suppliers like MyProtein, Bodybuilding Warehouse etc.

Quick Reply

Latest