The Student Room Group

Exeter A100 2020 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Hi, what are the interview dates in Exeter?
Reply 61
As a resit student predicted to get A* in the subject I'm resitting in to give me overall grades of A*AA (previous grades of AAB) and a UCAT score 2990, I presume I will have a low chance of attaining an interview due to the tiering system?
Original post by rsk053096
Hi, what are the interview dates in Exeter?

Hi rsk053096

The first Medicine interviews are in the first two weeks of December. There will be subsequent dates in January and February.

Melody
Original post by yednap
As a resit student predicted to get A* in the subject I'm resitting in to give me overall grades of A*AA (previous grades of AAB) and a UCAT score 2990, I presume I will have a low chance of attaining an interview due to the tiering system?

Hello yednap,

Each year is different with the tiering system as it depends on the number of applications in each tier. Last year we did not use the UCAS score because of the way that the numbers fell so unfortunately the only real advice I can give is that we will get back to you with our decision as soon as we can. I am sorry I cannot say anything more helpful than that here.

It is worth noting that we do accept resits so this part of your application should not cause you any concern- as long as retakes are completed (the final full grades achieved) no more than two full academic years (September to August) before starting on the university programme. We would advise that applicants would have to simply make it very clear on the UCAS application form when they apply, what they have completed and what they are due to complete

Good luck with your application! Do let me know if you have any further questions.

Melody
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Uni of Exeter
Hello yednap,

Each year is different with the tiering system as it depends on the number of applications in each tier. Last year we did not use the UCAS score because of the way that the numbers fell so unfortunately the only real advice I can give is that we will get back to you with our decision as soon as we can. I am sorry I cannot say anything more helpful than that here.

It is worth noting that we do accept resits so this part of your application should not cause you any concern- I am just waiting to get the full wording and will edit this post once I have had that confirmed.

Good luck with your application! Do let me know if you have any further questions.

Melody

Would yednaps a level grades fall under predicted grades as he/she is resitting one a level?

Also I’ve been told that my application would likely be rejected cuz I have achieved AAA and applied. I phoned exter and they told me I had very strong application. I applied in the end, but felt like I was mislead by Exeter. I understand I made the choice, but the way Exeter phrased it (‘very strong application’) was kind of cold. Could you confirm that last year no one below A*AA got an interview.

Also I don’t understand the logic, if Exeter is gonna give ppl with A*A*A (or more) predictions and then give them the standard AAA offer, why not just interview and give it to someone who has already achieved it. I say this cuz I feel after receiving information about my Exeter application , I’m unlikely to be interviewed.
Original post by Banshee123
Would yednaps a level grades fall under predicted grades as he/she is resitting one a level?

Also I’ve been told that my application would likely be rejected cuz I have achieved AAA and applied. I phoned exter and they told me I had very strong application. I applied in the end, but felt like I was mislead by Exeter. I understand I made the choice, but the way Exeter phrased it (‘very strong application’) was kind of cold. Could you confirm that last year no one below A*AA got an interview.

Also I don’t understand the logic, if Exeter is gonna give ppl with A*A*A (or more) predictions and then give them the standard AAA offer, why not just interview and give it to someone who has already achieved it. I say this cuz I feel after receiving information about my Exeter application , I’m unlikely to be interviewed.

I feel the uni weren’t the most honest with you although as @GANFYD says they aren’t going to tell people not to apply as they get paid by having students - pretty sure people with a*aa predictions weren’t accepted last year but don’t know about achieved. In response to your 3rd point I don’t know although would guess it’s because they can’t not exactly take people without achieved grades (don’t know this for sure but would guess it to be the case) - I think the way they score people both favours those with achieved and predicted grades though - predicted if you have 3a*s a lot of which is grade inflation and achieved if you have a*a*a or above

Original post by DGeorge13
I feel the uni weren’t the most honest with you although as @GANFYD says they aren’t going to tell people not to apply as they get paid by having students - pretty sure people with a*aa predictions weren’t accepted last year but don’t know about achieved. In response to your 3rd point I don’t know although would guess it’s because they can’t not exactly take people without achieved grades (don’t know this for sure but would guess it to be the case) - I think the way they score people both favours those with achieved and predicted grades though - predicted if you have 3a*s a lot of which is grade inflation and achieved if you have a*a*a or above

Hello Banshee123,

I am sorry that you feel you were misled. We are unable to comment upon induvial applications until we have received them on the basis that it is impossible for us to know the full context of the application until that point.

We try to be open and advertise our tiering system. You are very welcome to contact our Admissions team directly for a breakdown of the cut offs for the last few years to be shortlisted to interview. However, it is wise to be cautious with these figures because it can vary year on year as I have mentioned to various other students who have enquired about what their chances of being shortlisted are. If we have a lower number of applications one year then it would follow that students would not need as high a grades to be shortlisted. We have to be careful to manage expectations and also not put off eligible candidates, including those who are eligible for a contextual offer (and possibly don’t realise that they are).

We do 'even up' tiers so that students with achieved grades are placed higher in the tiering than students with the same predicted grades. This can be read in our BMBS Medicine policy (skip to page 4).

Melody
Original post by Uni of Exeter
Hello Banshee123,

I am sorry that you feel you were misled. We are unable to comment upon induvial applications until we have received them on the basis that it is impossible for us to know the full context of the application until that point.

We try to be open and advertise our tiering system. You are very welcome to contact our Admissions team directly for a breakdown of the cut offs for the last few years to be shortlisted to interview. However, it is wise to be cautious with these figures because it can vary year on year as I have mentioned to various other students who have enquired about what their chances of being shortlisted are. If we have a lower number of applications one year then it would follow that students would not need as high a grades to be shortlisted. We have to be careful to manage expectations and also not put off eligible candidates, including those who are eligible for a contextual offer (and possibly don’t realise that they are).

We do 'even up' tiers so that students with achieved grades are placed higher in the tiering than students with the same predicted grades. This can be read in our BMBS Medicine policy (skip to page 4).

Melody

Yes, I understand and thank you for the reply.

I just didn’t understand how people with certain predicted grades are more likely to receive an interview and then offer ( with typical offer AAA) than those who already have it. Seems kind of pointless. Predicted grades aren’t usually inflated by 1 grades as your tiering system suggest, it is usually 3 grades at times.

There’s no way of telling if you have made things ‘even up’. Alas Exeter mislead me, but there isn’t anything I can do. I will just have to move on. Only an offer from one of the 3 other unis will remedy this situation. Ps I was extremely upset.
Yes, I understand and thank you for the reply.

I just didn’t understand how people with certain predicted grades are more likely to receive an interview and then offer ( with typical offer AAA) than those who already have it. Seems kind of pointless. Predicted grades aren’t usually inflated by 1 grades as your tiering system suggest, it is usually 3 grades at times.

There’s no way of telling if you have made things ‘even up’. Alas Exeter mislead me, but there isn’t anything I can do. I will just have to move on. Only an offer from one of the 3 other unis will remedy this situation. Ps I was extremely upset.

Personally I also have issues with the predicted grades system and feel saddened you feel Exeter have misled you but as iterated many times universities are not going to tell people that don’t meet their minimum requirements to not apply . I really hope your other choices work out for you and also in a way you are lucky as you can just focus on the interviews and also develop experiences and maturity that it isn’t possible to whilst stuck at school- good luck
Reply 69
Is Exeter Medical School problem based learning or integrated?
Original post by samvk
Is Exeter Medical School problem based learning or integrated?

Pretty sure they use pbl as the medium for learning but the way it is covered is in an integrated manner - not 100% confident on that but I know there is a large pbl aspect even though it may be done in an integrated manner
Reply 71
Original post by DGeorge13
Pretty sure they use pbl as the medium for learning but the way it is covered is in an integrated manner - not 100% confident on that but I know there is a large pbl aspect even though it may be done in an integrated manner

Thank you
Hey so the thing with my application is that I predicted a 5,5,5 on my Aps (which is the a level equivalent in the American system...they said that a 5 on the AP (highest grade one could get ) equates to an A on the a level...would this bring me down considering I can't theoretically get an A* ?? Like the best I could get would be an A in terms of A levels..
also could you all update here once you start getting interview decisions from Exeter ?? I'm stressed quite a bit about the entire process hhaha
Reply 74
Original post by metalmay
also could you all update here once you start getting interview decisions from Exeter ?? I'm stressed quite a bit about the entire process hhaha

They're due to come out next week right?
Original post by yednap

Yes and the following week after
Reply 76
Hey so the thing with my application is that I predicted a 5,5,5 on my Aps (which is the a level equivalent in the American system...they said that a 5 on the AP (highest grade one could get ) equates to an A on the a level...would this bring me down considering I can't theoretically get an A* ?? Like the best I could get would be aI n A in terms of A levels..

I would contact the university directly. However, if the highest grade you can ever get is an A than it corresponds to the A-Levels A*. However, can’t you get an A+ in the US? If you can that may correspond to an A*, but again just call/ write an email to the university and they’ll tell you how your grades are converted
Reply 77
Original post by yednap

I don’t mean this in a mean way, I just really hope it’s true haha, but how do you know?
Is it written somewhere on the university website? I’d be really happy if it they came out next week
Original post by Medikj
I would contact the university directly. However, if the highest grade you can ever get is an A than it corresponds to the A-Levels A*. However, can’t you get an A+ in the US? If you can that may correspond to an A*, but again just call/ write an email to the university and they’ll tell you how your grades are converted

okay,, yeah but since I've applied anyway now there's not much point .. APs are basically scored from a scale of 1 to 5, where 1 is the lowest and 5 is the highest.. AP exams are equivalent to a levels in UK...I'm assuming A levels are a bit more advanced since they highest grade you can achieve on the AP only corresponds to an A.
Reply 79
okay,, yeah but since I've applied anyway now there's not much point .. APs are basically scored from a scale of 1 to 5, where 1 is the lowest and 5 is the highest.. AP exams are equivalent to a levels in UK...I'm assuming A levels are a bit more advanced since they highest grade you can achieve on the AP only corresponds to an A.

I really can’t tell anything for sure, maybe see if you can find something on their website!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending