The Student Room Group

Remembrance Poppy

Should the poppy be rainbow coloured or should it remain red?
I’m interested in both sides, particularly why it should be rainbow coloured to represent diversity and the LGBTQ community.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JakeTSR
I’m interested in both sides, particularly why it should be rainbow coloured to represent diversity and the LGBTQ community.

Anyone who wants to 'rainbow' the poppy is making a mistake and thinking it's all about them.
Original post by Reality Check
Anyone who wants to 'rainbow' the poppy is making a mistake and thinking it's all about them.

I agree but surely you could say that it represents diversity which is relevant to the war in that people from (almost) all walks of life fought together for a common cause. That diversity should bring us together just as remembrance does.
lol no I I tried but I can’t justify it, to me it just seems stupid to change the poppy to rainbow.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by JakeTSR
I agree but surely you could say that it represents diversity which is relevant to the war in that people from (almost) all walks of life fought together for a common cause. That diversity should bring us together just as remembrance does.
lol no I I tried but I can’t justify it, to me it just seems stupid to change the poppy.

What unites us all is that we all bleed red.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
What unites us all is that all bleed red.

Oorah
No way that's stupid. Everything isn't about the LGBT+ community. We're important and we deserve recognition, but everything doesn't need to be made about us.
Original post by JakeTSR
lol no I I tried but I can’t justify it, to me it just seems stupid to change the poppy.

i think if you ask war veterans most of them will feel much better represented by the icon that's been raising money for rbl for decades than something allowing their symbol to be overriden by a different area of culture
I personally think there's no need to push one movement's ideas or agenda through a different movement's symbol. There's time for pride and other awareness events but also a time for respect of soldiers, which undeniably throughout history were overwhelmingly heterosexual men. Just doesn't make sense to me really. The rainbow flag will be confused and devalued if we keep sticking it on everything.
Original post by HoldThisL
i think if you ask war veterans most of them will feel much better represented by the icon that's been raising money for rbl for decades than something allowing their symbol to be overriden by a different area of culture

I agree. If the LGBTQ community feel they need to raise money and awareness then they’re free to do so in their own way. But to interfere with something so sensitive and important that, quite frankly, has nothing to do with sexual orientation. That’s wrong.
I don't mind it being available. To rep/highlight their sacrifices as they(and the communities listed below) may be overlooked. There are already different colours to rep different communities/things . Purple for animals, black for black people, white with a focus on pacifism(I think?).

I think the main one should remain red to rep everybody.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by JakeTSR

lmao someone did it: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/woman-divides-people-angry-rant-20814560
Reply 11
I don't really care ether way

There are loads of ostentatious and weird variations of the poppy that don't seem to garner the same outrage
No, it shouldn't be changed to the rainbow poppy. That's ridiculous.

The red poppy will remain as it is, and it should stay that way. This is universal.

I don't, however, object to the rainbow poppy existing. As stated above, LGBT people fought in the war and helped with the efforts. Many of whom were castrated, discharged, or lived their lives in constant fear. I understand Alan Turing wasn't a solider nor did he fight in WW1, but I think that his name perfectly justifies the existence of rainbow poppies. And he was not the only one. If you don't like it, don't wear it - the red poppy will always be the red poppy.
I don't think the red poppy should be changed. It represents a charity, the Royal British Legion. If people want to wear red, white, purple, black, rainbow coloured poppies, they should do that. But to change the red poppy to a rainbow poppy when it has been red for nearly a century is frankly ridiculous. It's like changing the British flag to a pride flag. Wear a rainbow poppy if you want to, but don't try and replace the traditional red poppy.
(edited 4 years ago)
If they're wearing a poppy and money has gone to The Poppy Appeal as a result, I don't mind.

Part of what was fought for was the ability to choose for yourself.
Reply 15
Why on earth should it be rainbow coloured?
Original post by Obolinda
I don't mind it being available. To rep/highlight their sacrifices as they(and the communities listed below) may be overlooked. There are already different colours to rep different communities/things . Purple for animals, black for black people, white with a focus on pacifism(I think?).

I think the main one should remain red to rep everybody.

It for every person who been at war including LGBTQ people.
(edited 4 years ago)
Red, an object which represents soldiers who’ve lost their lives. Currently the red poppy is inclusive however the rainbow one isn’t.
Reply 18
Original post by Glaz
No way that's stupid. Everything isn't about the LGBT+ community. We're important and we deserve recognition, but everything doesn't need to be made about us.

Agreed. This type of change is unnecessary and I would understand the people that say the LGBTQ+ group is going too far.

LGBTQ people don't need this, leave it red.
Original post by looloo2134
It for every person who been at war including LGBTQ people.

The red one? yes I agree?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending