The Student Room Group

Individual Research Project Help!

Hi there,

So the speaking assessment is getting closer and closer and I'm just wondering how you are all revising for it.
My project is on the political engagement of young people in France, and I've done honestly so much research for it. I've written my presentation into a 2 minute script which I am going to learn and memorise so I can include all my important statistics. Is anyone else doing the same thing or are you doing your presentations differently? I'm basically just struggling to prepare except for guessing spontaneous questions.

Any advice would be appreciated. x
Reply 1
Original post by JeSuisBaguette
Hi there,

So the speaking assessment is getting closer and closer and I'm just wondering how you are all revising for it.
My project is on the political engagement of young people in France, and I've done honestly so much research for it. I've written my presentation into a 2 minute script which I am going to learn and memorise so I can include all my important statistics. Is anyone else doing the same thing or are you doing your presentations differently? I'm basically just struggling to prepare except for guessing spontaneous questions.

Any advice would be appreciated. x

I'm just making up questions and preparing answers for them at this point. I've already learnt my 2 minutes but think I'm going to have to cut it down :/

I'm panicking since I don't really know what I'm doing.
Yeah it's so hard especially as there is nothing on the website (I'm with AQA). My teacher has been making us do miniature research projects on Kerboodle and one of them was similar to mine so that was useful. Good luck!
Reply 3
Yeah it's so hard especially as there is nothing on the website (I'm with AQA). My teacher has been making us do miniature research projects on Kerboodle and one of them was similar to mine so that was useful. Good luck!

Good luck to you too! When's yours?
We're officially doing it on the 2nd May! I know it's later than most but I'm thankful for the extra time!
It’s probably not the best thing, but I’m planning to freestyle mine so it feels more fluent. The main worry is whether nerves will get to me and I’ll blank on all my facts. My IRP is also to do with politics.
Are you prepared for the stimulus card part of the exam?
Good luck! There's no way I'd have the confidence to freestyle it. I'm actually feeling really good about the photocard, just as long as I get a nice topic (ideally music or family!)
Good luck! There's no way I'd have the confidence to freestyle it. I'm actually feeling really good about the photocard, just as long as I get a nice topic (ideally music or family!)

So long as I don’t get ‘la société diverse’ (i.e. the blandest topic ever) it should go well!
Original post by The Introvert
So long as I don’t get ‘la société diverse’ (i.e. the blandest topic ever) it should go well!

I don't mind that topic at all! For AS I got patrimoine and cyber-society my two worst topics. I just hope I don't have a repeat of last year!
I don't mind that topic at all! For AS I got patrimoine and cyber-society my two worst topics. I just hope I don't have a repeat of last year!

I didn’t do AS so this is my only time doing it for real. I don’t mind patrimoine but I agree about the cyber society one. I don’t get how to make it specific to the french-speaking world at all. I’m doing my exam on star wars day, so may the fourth be with me I hope!
For patrimoine it gave me a photo of a farmer and a wheelbarrow! Not fun.

For the french speaking world part, I'm in the process of making case studies on one country and their views on each topic. I avoided Canada because it's too similar to France and England, but went for Madagascar as there's a lot to say for it in Benevolat and Patrimoine etc.
For patrimoine it gave me a photo of a farmer and a wheelbarrow! Not fun.

For the french speaking world part, I'm in the process of making case studies on one country and their views on each topic. I avoided Canada because it's too similar to France and England, but went for Madagascar as there's a lot to say for it in Benevolat and Patrimoine etc.

It’s good to go or non-western countries. For the prison chapter I’ve focussed on Haïti because it has some of the worst ones in the world. There’s a good website called prisoninsider.com I believe which lists statistics for all the different countries if you haven’t come across it already!
That's really helpful thank you. I'll definitely look into this.
i did mine a little while ago and pretty much freestyled the introduction but knew lots of detail and stats for the discussion . i found mocks with my teachers really helpful as they asked some really difficult questions that made the ones the examiner asked seem like a breeze c:
We're not having an external examiner, so my teacher I'm hoping won't be as harsh as she has been in the mocks!
can I ask what you put into your prepared text that you learnt?Many thanks
Original post by emilyk23
can I ask what you put into your prepared text that you learnt?Many thanks

Hi there, this post has brought back so much nostalia!

I just wrote a couple of paragraphs detailing all my points I wanted to include, a bit like if I was answering the question as a mini essay. Then I just condensed it into what I could say in 2 minutes, added some subjunctives and fancy phrases etc, then just memorised it.
I found that it worked well for me in the end, although if I had to prepare for it again I would deffo prepare more for the Q&A part after.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending