The Student Room Group

improving my application

Hey everyone!
I am applying to other university for Law, after having spent one year at university.
When I finished my A levels (2017-2018 academic year) I achieved a "B" in Geography and a "C" in politics and i am currently doing Portuguese A-level where I am predicted an A.

Assuming I achieve the A in Portuguese, I will be applying with an A,B,C and a 1st during my first year of university.

University of Birmingham is my first choice university and after a conversation with them on the phone they said that i was just under there requirements.
What could I do for my application to make sure its as strong as possible.
EPQ perhaps? any suggestions would be appreciated.
(edited 4 years ago)
abc is not enough for law hun. especially not at a uni like uob. (although they may make last minute exceptions), it'd be a risk applying there.

also law firms often have a cut off for aaa-aab unless they're mid/lower-tier so bare that in mind.

why not retake the c in politics and get aab? or do another a-level alongside portuguese (because im assuming its your home language so it might be an easy a-level anyway) it might be hard but it's possible. also you can do epq but pretty sure it has to be through a sixth form.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by cheerIeader
abc is not enough for law hun. especially not at a uni like uob. (although they may make last minute exceptions), it'd be a risk applying there.

also law firms often have a cut off for aaa-aab unless they're mid/lower-tier so bare that in mind.

why not retake the c in politics and get aab? or do another a-level alongside portuguese (because im assuming its your home language so it might be an easy a-level anyway) it might be hard but it's possible. also you can do epq but pretty sure it has to be through a sixth form.

I was just as shocked as you, but hey ho, if there saying there's a chance.. I'll take it!
Original post by george_xeno
I was just as shocked as you, but hey ho, if there saying there's a chance.. I'll take it!

that's not the issue. law firms often require a certain set of grades.. i mean yeah you might get onto the degree but the question is what type of law firms are you wanting to target? because majority of them filter out grades below AAA-AAB. i'm not trying to be negative, you definitely deserve this and you're capable of going so far but i'm JS. consider everything including prospects, the reason you want to do the course etc.

hope you do get made an offer regardless. x
Reply 4
No don’t worry I understand what your saying. Law is just the one thing Iv been really passionate about studying. What happens after the degree I’ll have to deal with. I’m just concerned with getting in.
Hey everyone!
I am applying to other university for Law, after having spent one year at university.
When I finished my A levels (2017-2018 academic year) I achieved a "B" in Geography and a "C" in politics and i am currently doing Portuguese A-level where I am predicted an A.

Assuming I achieve the A in Portuguese, I will be applying with an A,B,C and a 1st during my first year of university.

University of Birmingham is my first choice university and after a conversation with them on the phone they said that i was just under there requirements.
What could I do for my application to make sure its as strong as possible.
EPQ perhaps? any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm a bit confused.... did Birmingham say you should apply to them because "just under their requirements" suggests that they won't offer you a place or am I not reading it right?
Reply 6
Original post by harrysbar
I'm a bit confused.... did Birmingham say you should apply to them because "just under their requirements" suggests that they won't offer you a place or am I not reading it right?

There words to me exactly on the phone where you should send in an application because it would be considered
There words to me exactly on the phone where you should send in an application because it would be considered

Ok so it's an aspirational choice - you might get an offer or you might not.

As long as you only spent one year at the other uni you should be ok for student funding.

Some other unis for you to look at with an ABC prediction include Southampton, Cardiff, Liverpool, Surrey, Sussex, Keele, Kent, Reading and Aston
Reply 8
Ok so it's an aspirational choice - you might get an offer or you might not.

As long as you only spent one year at the other uni you should be ok for student funding.

Some other unis for you to look at with an ABC prediction include Southampton, Cardiff, Liverpool, Surrey, Sussex, Keele, Kent, Reading and Aston

Funnily enough Southampton said no.
Out of all the university’s I called I got these responses.
UOB- submit application
Liverpool - submit application
Exeter - submit application
Lancaster - submit application
Reading - submit application
Cov - submit application
Oxford brooks - submit application
Southampton - nope
Funnily enough Southampton said no.
Out of all the university’s I called I got these responses.
UOB- submit application
Liverpool - submit application
Exeter - submit application
Lancaster - submit application
Reading - submit application
Cov - submit application
Oxford brooks - submit application
Southampton - nope

Hi George,
I really hope you do apply to Lancaster - I can't guarantee anything but there is a chance of an offer. We also had clearing places of BBC this August so if we do again next year, there's a very good chance you'd get a place through clearing.
Good luck with your exams and application!
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi George,
I really hope you do apply to Lancaster - I can't guarantee anything but there is a chance of an offer. We also had clearing places of BBC this August so if we do again next year, there's a very good chance you'd get a place through clearing.

Ooh I didn't know Lancaster went down to BBC for Law in Clearing - I thought it was BBB but thanks for the info, I've updated a list I'm keeping on Law Clearing 2019
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi George,

Hi, is that for LLB Law??? If so that fantastic!
Hi, is that for LLB Law??? If so that fantastic!

Hi George,
Yes it was! Obviously can't guarantee the same for this year, but you never know
Ooh I didn't know Lancaster went down to BBC for Law in Clearing - I thought it was BBB but thanks for the info, I've updated a list I'm keeping on Law Clearing 2019

It was initially BBB but they dropped to BBC towards the end of the day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending