The Student Room Group

connecting Xbox to eduroam?

im currently sturggling to connect my xbox one to 'eduroam' wifi and would appreciate any help

i attend queen mary's in london for reference
ive contacted the IT services and all they recommended was using a data hotspot on my phone. this would be super expensive so im wondering if anyone has a better solution.

many thanks | ❛ω❛|o彡゚
Original post by frogetsu
im currently sturggling to connect my xbox one to 'eduroam' wifi and would appreciate any help

i attend queen mary's in london for reference
ive contacted the IT services and all they recommended was using a data hotspot on my phone. this would be super expensive so im wondering if anyone has a better solution.

many thanks | ❛ω❛|o彡゚

Speaking as IT Staff at a prominent UK university - You're out of luck. Recent changes to the way that Eduroam authenticates users inherently prevents consoles from connecting due to the requirement for extra software within the transaction process, as such anything which is incompatible with these processes now have to connect on domain specific networks.
Wait why would you want to use your Xbox at uni? LOL
Original post by MrMusician95
Wait why would you want to use your Xbox at uni? LOL

Actually fairly common, not everyone is an extrovert.
Original post by GiantKiwi
Actually fairly common, not everyone is an extrovert.

I mean I used to use my PS4 in my room, in halls. But never actually in university.
Original post by MrMusician95
I mean I used to use my PS4 in my room, in halls. But never actually in university.

I'd hazard a guess that OP is regarding his halls room, as the university reference, given how clustered QMUL is. We (my workplace) supply eduroam to students in their halls rooms, out of convenience. This practice is also fairly common.
I'd hazard a guess that OP is regarding his halls room, as the university reference, given how clustered QMUL is. We (my workplace) supply eduroam to students in their halls rooms, out of convenience. This practice is also fairly common.

Ohhh, fair enough. I had ASK4 in halls.
Reply 7
Speaking as IT Staff at a prominent UK university - You're out of luck. Recent changes to the way that Eduroam authenticates users inherently prevents consoles from connecting due to the requirement for extra software within the transaction process, as such anything which is incompatible with these processes now have to connect on domain specific networks.

sorry for the late reply but thanks for your input! |✿´∀`|
luckily there was a ethernet outlet hidden in my room so ive managed to get a pretty good wired connection to the console
crisis averted lol

Quick Reply

Latest