The Student Room Group

Aberdeen A100 2020 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The UKAT and exam results are of no real consequence within degrees, once you get an invite, it’s the interview that makes or breaks it with little regard for anything else.

Unfortunately it’s still a case of Doctors bred Doctors and despite PR to the contrary.
Reply 21
Original post by JSF29
The UKAT and exam results are of no real consequence within degrees, once you get an invite, it’s the interview that makes or breaks it with little regard for anything else.

Unfortunately it’s still a case of Doctors bred Doctors and despite PR to the contrary.

Not for Aberdeen. They use your pre interview score as 50% of post interview score when ranking for offers
Reply 22
The basics are that to get an interview you come within a certain percentile regarding your UKAT and academics, it thereafter becomes irrelevant in the grand scheme of things simply because those that are for interview are in a banding that’s reasonably narrow as to make no difference.

If the minimum Scottish academics is 3 x B Advanced Highers, then there basically no significant loading if you get 3 x As. Likewise the minimum in Highers is 4 x As and 1 x B, there is again no significant loading to get an A instead of a B.

As regards UKAT, there is a minimum unless you don’t have special circumstances, so again a minimal loading.

In other words, if you make it to interview, there is a very narrow mark between candidates as makes absolutely no difference. I did have the gen under FOI.

Therefore it’s all down to interview.
Reply 23
Original post by JSF29
The basics are that to get an interview you come within a certain percentile regarding your UKAT and academics, it thereafter becomes irrelevant in the grand scheme of things simply because those that are for interview are in a banding that’s reasonably narrow as to make no difference.

If the minimum Scottish academics is 3 x B Advanced Highers, then there basically no significant loading if you get 3 x As. Likewise the minimum in Highers is 4 x As and 1 x B, there is again no significant loading to get an A instead of a B.

As regards UKAT, there is a minimum unless you don’t have special circumstances, so again a minimal loading.

In other words, if you make it to interview, there is a very narrow mark between candidates as makes absolutely no difference. I did have the gen under FOI.

I trully, did never believe to receive an interview from Any university specially graduate entry! because of my very poor UCAT, I was stunned when I saw an invitation. However, I saw somewhere that post interview they look at your UCAT to make an offer. I am kind of confused...
What did u get on ur UCAT? congrats btw :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by JSF29

Can you link the FOI, please.
For RUK applicants, the difference in scores for academics between top (A*A*A* achieved) and bottom acceptable AAA is 11 points.
UCAT is scaled from 0 - 60 points. Assuming even only the top 1/3 of scores get an interview (and likely more than this as is usually people in the low 600s with an interview) then the difference between top and bottom is 20 points.
So the "best" applicant pre interview can have scored 31 points more than the "worst" potentially. The total overall score available pre interview is 155.
As the interview is worth 50% of post interview scoring, then there is a possibility of the "best" pre interview scorer being able to make 20% less at interview than the worst and still get an offer.
Now admittedly, because of the normal distribution of the UCAT and probably interview scores, there is likely to be a lot of people pretty close together, but a really strong UCAT and academics certainly would seem to allow for a weaker interview performance.

There is an FOI where they are asked for the cut off for invitation for interview for 2018 and 2017 entry for RUK applicants, and for an offer, when this score is combined with the interview score?

2017 entry Interview = 121, Offer = 226

2018 entry Interview = 116, Offer = 223.5

So pre interview scoring could range from 121 to 155 (34 points), meaning interview score could be from 71 to 115 (44 points)
or 116 to 155 (39 points) and 68.5 to 107.5 (39 points).
This suggests there is no major difference between the spread of marks possible pre and post interview and that a good score during selection allows you to score up to 1/3 less at interview than somebody who did not score as well.
I do not see how this supports your statement that it is all down to the interview. I would be feeling much happier with a pre interview score in the 140s than I would with one at 116!
Reply 26
Might have a look at this at some point, but as it’s bonfire night, I am off to a display.

I’d have to check my figures, but I still maintain it’s all down to the interview and the marking of that is a black art that maybe prone to manipulation depending on background and other such intangibles rather than content and answering the question.

I did make an enquiry into the marking of interviews and didn’t really get anywhere other than bland replies that gave nothing away.
Original post by koning
I trully, did never believe to receive an interview from Any university specially graduate entry! because of my very poor UCAT, I was stunned when I saw an invitation. However, I saw somewhere that post interview they look at your UCAT to make an offer. I am kind of confused...

How much did you get in UCAT?
Reply 28
If any international student gets an invite for interview, please post it here.
Original post by koning
10:30🤗

congrats! but are you sure this is for medicine, not dentistry? as I know Aberdeen has sent invites for dentistry but not medicine as of yet?
apologies if I'm wrong, all the best!
Original post by koning
10:30🤗

That's weird!! The UCAT results was delivered to the university at that exact time :confused:
when is your interview?
I have just called the medical school at Aberdeen university and they have confirmed no invites for medicine have been sent. They are still undergoing assessment of applications and they said invites will go out in mid December. So, nothing before atleast December. Relax. Fingers crossed.
Prayers needed.
Reply 33
If anyone wants a rough guide, last year I got my:
Interview invite - 28th November 2018
Interview Date - 20th December 2018
Offer Date - 5th March 2019

I know it may differ this year with application numbers, changes to assessment etc, but it’s a good indication of the time you guys may hear back!
Best of luck with your application guys!
Original post by S_x_x
If anyone wants a rough guide, last year I got my:
Interview invite - 28th November 2018
Interview Date - 20th December 2018
Offer Date - 5th March 2019

I know it may differ this year with application numbers, changes to assessment etc, but it’s a good indication of the time you guys may hear back!
Best of luck with your application guys!

were you international or UK student?
Reply 35
Original post by UNGONDAL1
were you international or UK student?

Scottish school leaver
I just got an interview!!
Original post by Reachforthemoon
I just got an interview!!

Are you scottish or International student? What time did you get it?
Original post by USdec2020
Are you scottish or International student?

I'm English
Just got an interview!!!! UCAT 2620, Grad (biomed) with 1st class!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending