The Student Room Group

Deferred application and reapplying 2019

Hellloo, I need some help with UCAS and just had a question so I'm hoping someone will be able to advise me !!

So I applied through UCAS for university for the first time in October 2018 and I got all my offers, however on results I didn't get the grades to get into my firm choice. As a result, I went through clearing and got into uni and I was, by that point, still unsure if I wanted to go to that specific uni this year from clearing becasue it felt rushed and not right. So I asked to be deferred and I am now currently on a gap year.
After a month of being on my gap year and having calmed down after the shock of results day and not getting into the university that I wanted I decided that it would be good to actually be proactive and resit my A-Levels instead and to also reapply to university this year.

Around this time (October) I got an email from UCAS saying that I am; "currently committed to starting your studies in 2020. Your chosen university or college will be in touch with you before you start your course. However, if you’ve now changed your mind and if you’re planning to apply for a different course, you must:
contact your current university or college to let them know you’ve changed your mind, and ask them to withdraw your application
not send us your new application until you know your old one has been withdrawn otherwise, your new one will be automatically canceled.

Once the university or college has withdrawn your old application, we’ll send you an email to confirm this."

And so just to confirm my next step as a deferred applicant at the time I also went online onto the UCAS website and on there it said;

"Make sure you’re certain about the course because if you secure a place, you’ll be committed to taking it up. You won’t be able to apply elsewhere in the 2019 or 2020 cycle while you hold that place, and you can only be released from the course if the course provider agrees. You can only reapply if the university agrees to withdraw your deferred application."

So after all that information I went ahead and emailed the university that I got into through clearing and got my application withdrawn but then shortly after I received an email from UCAS saying "As you have been withdrawn completely from the*UCAS*Undergraduate scheme, you cannot be reconsidered again in this year's application cycle. You will, however, be able to reapply in next year's application cycle if you wish to do so."

So right now that it is November, I am a little panicked and anxious and I am not sure if this means I can't apply THIS year as in 2018 or 2019 like right now, presently so I can't go to uni in September 2020?

As far as I am aware, I know that you cannot have 2 applications in the same admissions cycle but I'm not sure what that means for me or what's going on so I'm just in need of some advice.

Of course, I will phone UCAS ASAP but I'm just a little worried. If anyone could help me that would be really amazing!!!

Thank you so much I really appreciate it !!
I am pretty sure that this means that you can no longer apply to the 2019/20 cycle, but you can do so for the 2020/21 cycle since the deadline for that is 15th Jan 2020 (I think). So yes, you should be able to go into uni Sept 2020.
I was in a similar position to you where I decided to withdraw my offer and take a gap year. I made a new UCAS account for the 2020 cycle and got a new personal ID, which changed back to my old one after I sent off my application.
Original post by BirdSeed123
I am pretty sure that this means that you can no longer apply to the 2019/20 cycle, but you can do so for the 2020/21 cycle since the deadline for that is 15th Jan 2020 (I think). So yes, you should be able to go into uni Sept 2020.
I was in a similar position to you where I decided to withdraw my offer and take a gap year. I made a new UCAS account for the 2020 cycle and got a new personal ID, which changed back to my old one after I sent off my application.

Hiii!! Thank you so much for getting back to me! That sounds really helpful! Have you already applied for a new application for this year then and did your application go through to all your chosen universities? Also, did you ring up UCAS to them themselves or did you just know that it would be alright since it is a new academic year? Sorry for having so many questions but when you got the new ID did it remain new until you sent off your application and then it changed back to your old ID? - Did this effect your application and whether universities saw your old application from the previous year or did they only see your new application?
Original post by Irhakhalid
Hiii!! Thank you so much for getting back to me! That sounds really helpful! Have you already applied for a new application for this year then and did your application go through to all your chosen universities? Also, did you ring up UCAS to them themselves or did you just know that it would be alright since it is a new academic year? Sorry for having so many questions but when you got the new ID did it remain new until you sent off your application and then it changed back to your old ID? - Did this effect your application and whether universities saw your old application from the previous year or did they only see your new application?

Hey, no worries, I'm happy to help so ask away.
To answer your questions, yes, I have already applied through UCAS for this year, and have received an acknowledgement email from all my chosen universities.
I didn't ring up UCAS, I just knew because on the UCAS website, it said Apply (and Track) under "Undergraduate 2020 Entry", I only called up to withdraw my uni place and make them aware that I was planning to reapply.
Yes, I had a new ID up until the moment I sent off my application, it changed to the old one almost straight after (but I think it took a couple of days for a friend of mine who is retaking).
For the last question, if you are applying to a university for the first time: I don't think your old application actually matters, just your new PS and new qualifications. If you are reapplying to a university: I remember my friends saying that if you rejected certain unis, you can't reapply to that uni, but that depends on the uni. I actually called up a uni I rejected last year but am reapplying to and asked if it would affect my application, and they said that they only look at the new application and the old application will not be considered, so I think it is worth calling up any unis that you are reapplying to ask, but other than that I wouldn't worry too much.
Hey, no worries, I'm happy to help so ask away.
To answer your questions, yes, I have already applied through UCAS for this year, and have received an acknowledgement email from all my chosen universities.
I didn't ring up UCAS, I just knew because on the UCAS website, it said Apply (and Track) under "Undergraduate 2020 Entry", I only called up to withdraw my uni place and make them aware that I was planning to reapply.
Yes, I had a new ID up until the moment I sent off my application, it changed to the old one almost straight after (but I think it took a couple of days for a friend of mine who is retaking).
For the last question, if you are applying to a university for the first time: I don't think your old application actually matters, just your new PS and new qualifications. If you are reapplying to a university: I remember my friends saying that if you rejected certain unis, you can't reapply to that uni, but that depends on the uni. I actually called up a uni I rejected last year but am reapplying to and asked if it would affect my application, and they said that they only look at the new application and the old application will not be considered, so I think it is worth calling up any unis that you are reapplying to ask, but other than that I wouldn't worry too much.

Thank you so much !! this is really comforting to hear !! so did you apply last year and deferred it? when did you change your mind to reapply and withdraw your application and did you send off your application quite recently?

Ooo Ok, I didn' think it would be a big deal to reapply to the uni's if I rejected them before wow I that didn't even cross my mind that some of them won't let you reapply because you had another preference !! I did email all the unis I wanted to apply to and 4 of them replied but one still hasn't so I might call them up maybe but the other 4 said they were happy to look at my new application so long ass my predicted grades met the criteria as well as meeting all the other criteria of course !!

Thankyou so much for your help this is really helpful !!
Thank you so much !! this is really comforting to hear !! so did you apply last year and deferred it? when did you change your mind to reapply and withdraw your application and did you send off your application quite recently?

Ooo Ok, I didn' think it would be a big deal to reapply to the uni's if I rejected them before wow I that didn't even cross my mind that some of them won't let you reapply because you had another preference !! I did email all the unis I wanted to apply to and 4 of them replied but one still hasn't so I might call them up maybe but the other 4 said they were happy to look at my new application so long ass my predicted grades met the criteria as well as meeting all the other criteria of course !!

Thankyou so much for your help this is really helpful !!

So I applied last year intending to go in the 2019/2020 cycle, but things didn't really work out to say the least. I got did an offer through clearing but in the end I just decided it was best to take a year out and actually think about what I wanted to do, rather than make a rushed decision to go to a uni I didn't really know much about (I like to research unis pretty thoroughly, not getting the opportunity to do so for this uni where I was going to spend 3-4 years of my life at was really discomforting). I think I withdrew my offer around mid-Sept, and sent of my application at the end of October.

Tbh I agree, I don't think the reapplying is a big deal, but I just thought I should let you know, but bear in mind that my source was hearing my friends talk about it 😂
So I applied last year intending to go in the 2019/2020 cycle, but things didn't really work out to say the least. I got did an offer through clearing but in the end I just decided it was best to take a year out and actually think about what I wanted to do, rather than make a rushed decision to go to a uni I didn't really know much about (I like to research unis pretty thoroughly, not getting the opportunity to do so for this uni where I was going to spend 3-4 years of my life at was really discomforting). I think I withdrew my offer around mid-Sept, and sent of my application at the end of October.

Tbh I agree, I don't think the reapplying is a big deal, but I just thought I should let you know, but bear in mind that my source was hearing my friends talk about it 😂

Cool, that makes sense and is very similar to me so that's really comforting to hear!! Yh I completely agree one year to think and improve yourself to go onto a preferred uni is better than 3-4 years at a uni you're unsure of from the start not to mention the problems with debt and everything as well!!

Have any of your university choice replied back to you yet an did you apply ass an individual or through a school?
Cool, that makes sense and is very similar to me so that's really comforting to hear!! Yh I completely agree one year to think and improve yourself to go onto a preferred uni is better than 3-4 years at a uni you're unsure of from the start not to mention the problems with debt and everything as well!!

Have any of your university choice replied back to you yet an did you apply ass an individual or through a school?

No offers yet unfortunately :frown:, been checking Track religiously..
I applied as an individual but got my school to do my reference.
No offers yet unfortunately :frown:, been checking Track religiously..
I applied as an individual but got my school to do my reference.

Sorry omg, I didn't even ask !! are you resitting to get new grades? if so did you get new predicted grades? I'm sure you will do it takes some of them a while like some don't respond till like march 1st or something till they absolutely have to give you final decision and also depends on the uni you applied to as well like the Russell unis take a while sometimes !!
Sorry omg, I didn't even ask !! are you resitting to get new grades? if so did you get new predicted grades? I'm sure you will do it takes some of them a while like some don't respond till like march 1st or something till they absolutely have to give you final decision and also depends on the uni you applied to as well like the Russell unis take a while sometimes !!

I am not resitting, but my friend is. She got new predicted grades through emailing back and forth with the teacher that usually handles the predicted grades at her old school, I think it was her head of year, but not entirely sure.
Yeah, it hasn't even been a week, but I am very impatient 😂
(edited 4 years ago)
I am not resitting, but my friend is. She got new predicted grades through emailing back and forth with the teacher that usually handles the predicted grades at her old school, I think it was her head of year, but not entirely sure.
Yeah, it hasn't even been a week, but I am very impatient 😂

That's understandable because it's a long wait to hear back !! Have you gotten any acknowledgments from any of them yet? If you don't mind me asking what course are you applying for and do you have a specific uni in mind that you are aiming for ?
That's understandable because it's a long wait to hear back !! Have you gotten any acknowledgments from any of them yet? If you don't mind me asking what course are you applying for and do you have a specific uni in mind that you are aiming for ?

Yep, acknowledgments from all the unis, no problem there. I'm applying to Maths, I do have a specific uni but I don't wanna say because I'm very unlikely I will get it, if that's okay 😂😂
What course are you applying for, if you don't mind me asking?
That's ok and I'm sure you'll get in !! If not now then maybe later you know sometimes there's goodness in a little delay. Like 3+6=9 but so does 5+4 sometimes different journeys lead to the same destination but are beneficial to different people!!!

I'm thinking of applying for biochemistry !!!

Yep, acknowledgments from all the unis, no problem there. I'm applying to Maths, I do have a specific uni but I don't wanna say because I'm very unlikely I will get it, if that's okay 😂😂
What course are you applying for, if you don't mind me asking?
That's ok and I'm sure you'll get in !! If not now then maybe later you know sometimes there's goodness in a little delay. Like 3+6=9 but so does 5+4 sometimes different journeys lead to the same destination but are beneficial to different people!!!

I'm thinking of applying for biochemistry !!!

That's so cute :smile: I definitely agree, I'm sure things will fall into place eventually
Biochem, my two worst subjects put together 😂, I wish you all the best with everything. Feel free to message me if you have anymore qs or need to chat!
That's so cute :smile: I definitely agree, I'm sure things will fall into place eventually
Biochem, my two worst subjects put together 😂, I wish you all the best with everything. Feel free to message me if you have anymore qs or need to chat!

Thankyou so much you've been if great help!!! Nice to know I'm not alone !! Xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending