The Student Room Group

Physics mechanics

For some reason I just cant seem to bring myself to understand mechanics in physics. I understand the theory and concept on what you have to do but for some reason I just find it hard to understand the question and actually knowing what to do. But i know it's not my maths that's a problem.
Does anyone have any useful tips for me to use, I'm currently in year 12 studying aqa physics.
Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by GCSE2019help
For some reason I just cant seem to bring myself to understand mechanics in physics. I understand the theory and concept on what you have to do but for some reason I just find it hard to understand the question and actually knowing what to do. But i know it's not my maths that's a problem.
Does anyone have any useful tips for me to use, I'm currently in year 12 studying aqa physics.
Thank you

I am edexcel IAL, and got over 90% in two of the three Mechanics Topic tests. Which parts do you want me to help you?
Original post by GCSE2019help
Thank you

It may be useful that you draw a free-body diagram to depict all the forces acting the object of interest first.
At A level, you can usually apply the following ‘laws” to solve mechanics problems.
(1) Newton’s 2nd law or/and Newton’s 3rd law
(2) Conservation of linear momentum
(3) Conservation of energy or Work-Energy theorem
(4) Principle of moments

On tops of these laws, you also be familiar with the various forces, energy formula and kinematics equations. You are required to know trigonometry to resolve force into components.

Starting to solve a problem is usually the most difficult step to take if one always fails. But I believe once you are exposed to enough problems, you would start to see some patterns in solving them. It is not a shame of not getting the correct answer. In fact, you may be able to learn more by making mistakes and get corrected by others.

It is always best that you show us the problem/question and explain what you are stuck with or your confusion. From the onward, we can guide you to learn the problem-solving skill.
Original post by Eimmanuel
It may be useful that you draw a free-body diagram to depict all the forces acting the object of interest first.
At A level, you can usually apply the following ‘laws” to solve mechanics problems.
(1) Newton’s 2nd law or/and Newton’s 3rd law
(2) Conservation of linear momentum
(3) Conservation of energy or Work-Energy theorem
(4) Principle of moments

On tops of these laws, you also be familiar with the various forces, energy formula and kinematics equations. You are required to know trigonometry to resolve force into components.

Starting to solve a problem is usually the most difficult step to take if one always fails. But I believe once you are exposed to enough problems, you would start to see some patterns in solving them. It is not a shame of not getting the correct answer. In fact, you may be able to learn more by making mistakes and get corrected by others.

It is always best that you show us the problem/question and explain what you are stuck with or your confusion. From the onward, we can guide you to learn the problem-solving skill.

Thanks you

Quick Reply

Latest