The Student Room Group

Labour Policies Thoughts?

Labour recently announced some of its proposed polices.
A summary of them:
£10 minimum wage
University tuition fees scrapped
Nationalised rail and water
Interest free loans for electric cars
Free bus travel for under 25s
What are your thoughts on these? Personally I think there are some good suggestions, but far too overambitious and unsustainable. Where is the money going to come from? I doubt they will deliver on any of them.

Scroll to see replies

And who will pay for these?
Santa Corbyn
too good to be true
Mainly ridiculous ideas. I'm sure they have good intentions but some of these are ludicrous!!

Firstly the £10 minimum wage, christ!!! It all sounds good and well but increasing the minimum wage would increase cost of labour increasing cost of products (food, clothing etc), making the people who don't get an increase in wages poorer.

Now university tuition fees scrapped. Hahaha so many problems with this. Firstly where would the money come from? Hypothetically let's say they find the billions needed... wouldn't the money be better spent in other sectors, for starters we don't need more graduates especially from pointless courses for the sake of going to uni. We need more people to be encouraged to do apprenticeships. plus what's the point, there's a common myth that students are crippling in debt and sure for some they are, but the majority are not especially from tuition fees (most students go into debt as they borrow money from high interest loaners). Most loans aren't even paid as they are written off after awhile (plus it doesn't even affect your credit score) and those that are paid are paid by the highest earners such as doctors and lawyers. Instead i believe the maintenance loan should be increased so that students don't have to live off pot noodles and in awful accommodation.

Nationalised rail and water. Idk tbh i guess it could work.....

interest free loans on electric cars, ummm okay but wouldn't that money be better spent on improving public transport especially in the north!!! And electric cars are just just like normal cars require some sort of energy but instead of petrol it's electricity which is usually produced from non renewable sources which emit lots of CO2 (such as Oil coal etc). Instead more funding should be put into renewable energy sources such as Solar power on every roof in the uk or new build home( not all of them look ugly either there are the modern ones built my Elon Musk which are practically invisible).

Free Bus Travel for under 25... I guess that would be good i just don't see where the money would come from and most students get Uni/sixth form/school coaches or the train. No one likes the bus. I'd rather band people playing loud awful music on a speaker on the bus.

Like you say they'll probably never deliver and the chance with labour winning the election is slim with JC in charge
Reply 5
Original post by Gold.Panda

thats the million pound question
Reply 6
Original post by AnxiousGuy
too good to be true

Probably just a gimmick to get votes
Reply 7
Original post by auha54321
Mainly ridiculous ideas. I'm sure they have good intentions but some of these are ludicrous!!

Firstly the £10 minimum wage, christ!!! It all sounds good and well but increasing the minimum wage would increase cost of labour increasing cost of products (food, clothing etc), making the people who don't get an increase in wages poorer.

Now university tuition fees scrapped. Hahaha so many problems with this. Firstly where would the money come from? Hypothetically let's say they find the billions needed... wouldn't the money be better spent in other sectors, for starters we don't need more graduates especially from pointless courses for the sake of going to uni. We need more people to be encouraged to do apprenticeships. plus what's the point, there's a common myth that students are crippling in debt and sure for some they are, but the majority are not especially from tuition fees (most students go into debt as they borrow money from high interest loaners). Most loans aren't even paid as they are written off after awhile (plus it doesn't even affect your credit score) and those that are paid are paid by the highest earners such as doctors and lawyers. Instead i believe the maintenance loan should be increased so that students don't have to live off pot noodles and in awful accommodation.

Nationalised rail and water. Idk tbh i guess it could work.....

interest free loans on electric cars, ummm okay but wouldn't that money be better spent on improving public transport especially in the north!!! And electric cars are just just like normal cars require some sort of energy but instead of petrol it's electricity which is usually produced from non renewable sources which emit lots of CO2 (such as Oil coal etc). Instead more funding should be put into renewable energy sources such as Solar power on every roof in the uk or new build home( not all of them look ugly either there are the modern ones built my Elon Musk which are practically invisible).

Free Bus Travel for under 25... I guess that would be good i just don't see where the money would come from and most students get Uni/sixth form/school coaches or the train. No one likes the bus. I'd rather band people playing loud awful music on a speaker on the bus.

Like you say they'll probably never deliver and the chance with labour winning the election is slim with JC in charge

Yh thats what i thought , surely the cost of living will sky rocket if the minimum wage went up to £10. Making poorer people even worse off?.
I think uni fees should possibly be reduced to £8k but then again the uni system is broken .
You make a very good point about mickey mouse courses. I think the country would be better of with highly skilled practical workers that apprenticeships can provide.
I think money could be spent actually producing clean energy in the first place like you said.
We got a free pass in Manchester for U-18 never used it once (had it for 6 months).
My thoughts:

A summary of them:

£10 minimum wage
Not sure. I'm in favour of raising the minimum wage, as long as business can afford it. Considering how many shops/resteraunts/high-street business are going out of business at the moment. And that they tend to pay minimum wage, I can't imagine this would play well for a lot of shops, unless it was also accompnied by rate-reductions or tax-relief etc.

Not in favour of. The current system works well.. just give it a tweak and re-brand it as what it really is: A graduate tax, and people will have far fewer problems with it. Also, unless they cancel old debt they can go **** themselves. Fat chance I'm voting for a party that will keep me paying for my fees every month, while giving the new kids a free ride for exactly the same thing. I'm not paying for my own fees out of my wages, and also paying increased tax to fund thiers as well, so they don't have to.

In favour, as long as we can afford it. Utilities shouldn't be run for profit in my eyes, and should be a service for the good of the people.

I'm interested to see how this one works, but it seems like a reasonable idea to me. I don't see why not? As long as the terms and entry requirements are reasonable, it seems like a good way to get people who can, to shift to electric

Nah... waste of money. Bus fairs are not the big issue for under 25s. I get that every little helps, but I think this is just pandering. Fix housing jobs and education for young people, bus fair is just not a big deal and won't make much of a difference. I'd rather they did something like 'free bus fair for job seekers' - as in my experience they are often the ones who struggle to find work and employment because they can't afford travel to interviews and new jobs that may be a town or two over.
The £10 minimum wage one is just hilarious given it is *lower* than the Tory offer which is £10.50
Original post by _ap12
A summary of them:
£10 minimum wage
What are your thoughts on these? Personally I think there are some good suggestions, but far too overambitious and unsustainable. Where is the money going to come from? I doubt they will deliver on any of them.

These policies are basically clickbate designed to appear to the "have nots" or young people. They are basically bribes designed to entie you to vote in a Marxist government that addresses conferences with the term "comerades", annoynces their gender pronounds, then debates how gender pay claims will be addressed for people changing genders, and then people clap with "Jazz hands" because clapping might offend people. Do we want these people in power?
Reply 11
It's effectively a non-existent bribe. Labour know they cannot bring all of that in without bankrupting the country and borrowing heavily. I suspect their plan will be to stall on anything unachievable by saying they need another term in government to be able to implement everything.
Original post by _ap12
A summary of them:
£10 minimum wage

£10 living wage sure maybe, that's only like a 30p increase on what it is now anyway. £10 minimum wage though... Is that for everyone or just over 21s? 16yo do not need that much, and it would make it harder for them to get jobs anyway considering how many businesses probably hire under 18s as they're cheaper. Plus it's just going to make the cost of living go up as I imagine prices will increase in line with wage increases.

Scrapping tuition fees is one of the main reasons I'm not really a huge labour supporter - where's the money going to come from? Plus I really don't care that I'm going to come out of uni with tuition fees left to pay. It wouldn't affect me getting a mortgage, only have to start paying it off if you're earning enough, if you aren't earning then it gets cancelled after 30 years so what's the problem and if you are earning enough to have paid it all off within 30 years then you're rich so again what's the problem?

Don't really know anything about the rail / water nationalisation

I guess interest free loans for electric cars could be a good idea? If it makes people more inclined to buy them.

Free bus travel would be nice, but then again, most people my age that I know only really use the bus when at uni, in which case most offer student discount / free travel - I paid around £200 for the year which isn't extortionate and the Poly in this area offers free bus travel on their main bus route anyway.
They is also the 4 day working week 👍. But generally agree the Railways and public transport all needs upgrading as is lagging way behind other European countries!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by auha54321

I am all for bashing Corbyn. The guy is a walking disaster. But there is something in raising the minimum wage. Everyone only sees half the story, that of the cost to business. What they forget is that
a) most businesses can afford it
b) by increasing the minimum wage you actually pump money into the econony which is spent in those same businesses.

What actually happens is wealth is slightly readjusted from the rich to the poor. They did it in Seattle and the restuarant trade there boomed.
Reply 15
Original post by Gold Panda

Whilst his policies are grossly expensive there is still the issue that the tories are just as bad at the moment - as outlined by Moody's
Reply 16
Is the nationalisation promise just a gimmick anyway. Under EU law and the ECHR there is little doubt that getting any nationalisation of any industry through would be extremely difficult if we stayed in the EU. With Labour trying their best to remain in the EU it seems they have a conflict of interest.
Original post by ByEeek
I am all for bashing Corbyn. The guy is a walking disaster. But there is something in raising the minimum wage. Everyone only sees half the story, that of the cost to business. What they forget is that
a) most businesses can afford it
b) by increasing the minimum wage you actually pump money into the econony which is spent in those same businesses.

What actually happens is wealth is slightly readjusted from the rich to the poor. They did it in Seattle and the restuarant trade there boomed.

1. Explains why they are all going bust
2. Not necessarily as it takes time for the money to circulate and be pumped back into society (if it even is) and you would have to bank on said businesses being able to stay afloat in that time period.
3. Raising the minimum wage to £10 is 50p lower than what the conservatives promised.
Original post by Qull
1. Explains why they are all going bust
2. Not necessarily as it takes time for the money to circulate and be pumped back into society (if it even is) and you would have to bank on said businesses being able to stay afloat in that time period.
3. Raising the minimum wage to £10 is 50p lower than what the conservatives promised.

True. But this assumes all small businesses are on the brink of bankruptcy. They are not. And those that are failing will be failing regardless of any wage increase.

What is true is that with a more affuent population there will be plenty of businesses happy to take their money.
For the Tories Corbyn is the gift that goes on giving. They must have been ****ting themselves that he was going to be replaced before the election.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending