The Student Room Group

What to wear for university open day?

I know that you can dress casually for open days, but how casual? What have others worn?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you being serious? Everyone at least wears some sort of shirt with smart trousers in regards to casual with no tie (some even wear full 3 piece suits) to an open day.

Trainers and tracksuit? You'll be a laughing stock buddy.
Reply 2
Original post by Xarao
Are you being serious? Everyone at least wears some sort of shirt with smart trousers in regards to casual with no tie (some even wear full 3 piece suits) to an open day.

Trainers and tracksuit? You'll be a laughing stock buddy.

I was not saying I was going to wear that. I was asking to see what was appropriate to wear. Apparently a lot of people wear casual clothes as it is not an interview. So are you suggesting jeans are also not appropriate?
Original post by simmonds17
I know that you can dress casually for open days, but how casual? For example; is a jacket, nike tracksuit bottoms and trainers too casual?

To me, i think it depends on the uni. If you are going to Oxbridge, then you should wear a nice Oxford shirt, chinos or smart jean trouser, nice semi-formal shoes/loafers with a decent jacket.
Jeans and a decent jumper tends to be okay. You won’t be expected to turn up in a full suit. A good rule is not to wear “comfy” clothes, e.g joggers, tracksuits etc.
Reply 5
What do you think would happen if you did dress 'too' casually? Can you think of any consequences at all? I can't.

It's a ****ing open day, you haven't applied yet, they don't know who you are. Even for an interview you don't need to dress smart.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Wired_1800
To me, i think it depends on the uni. If you are going to Oxbridge, then you should wear a nice Oxford shirt, chinos or smart jean trouser, nice semi-formal shoes/loafers with a decent jacket.

It's an open day at London South Bank university
Reply 7
Open day I wore jeans and a decent jumper, interview I wore a suit
Reply 8
no matter what anyone has said above, I think you’d be totally fine in, say, jeans and a t-shirt even at Oxbridge. Open days aren’t interviews, the are a chance for the department to sell itself to you. I personally wouldn’t wear tracksuit bottoms, but I’ve seen students do it. Far more important is to be clean, and be engaged (ETA: being clean is important for everyone else, being engaged is important for your experience, neither would impact your chances of getting in because see below).

Most of the people you meet won’t even remember who you are, so they’re hardly likely to hold it against you.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9

Both that reply and the first one were jokes

I’d suggest looking proper, but not OTT.
Reply 11
Original post by Sinnoh
Both that reply and the first one were jokes

I'm sorry but is there any reason you are deciding to be out of order?

Seeing as its a rubbish university just wear anything and also because its london you will see loads of chavs in their nike outfits
Reply 13
Original post by frozen999
Seeing as its a rubbish university just wear anything and also because its london you will see loads of chavs in their nike outfits

As I said above, is there any need for you to comment negatively? Give me valid evidence of how you have come to the conclusion that it's rubbish. Also, I never said I would wear tracksuit bottoms. I wanted to see what was not appropriate to wear.
I know that you can dress casually for open days, but how casual? For example; is a jacket, nike tracksuit bottoms and trainers too casual?

There is no strict rule and universities wont know who you are but anything presentable will be fine. I think your suggestion a bit too casual. I would think you should change track suit bottoms to a trousers or skirt if you do not want to look a bit out of place.
As I said above, is there any need for you to comment negatively? Give me valid evidence of how you have come to the conclusion that it's rubbish. Also, I never said I would wear tracksuit bottoms. I wanted to see what was not appropriate to wear.

Univeristy rankings. Its very very low like london met
You said you wanted to wear a tracksuit so why are you being defensive now
Reply 16
Original post by swanseajack1
There is no strict rule and universities wont know who you are but anything presentable will be fine. I think your suggestion a bit too casual. I would think you should change track suit bottoms to a trousers or skirt if you do not want to look a bit out of place.

Would you say jeans or like smart trousers is better?
I went to mine in a pencil skirt, white shirt and a tie but I also had the interview later in the day so had to be smart.
Reply 18
Original post by frozen999
Univeristy rankings. Its very very low like london met
You said you wanted to wear a tracksuit so why are you being defensive now

Only because you are saying that it's rubbish. Yes I said about potentially wearing them but it does not mean that I would. Plus, just because it is not considered good and not in the top 5 does not mean it is bad. Unless you have been yourself to the university than I wont agree.
Only because you are saying that it's rubbish. Yes I said about potentially wearing them but it does not mean that I would. Plus, just because it is not considered good and not in the top 5 does not mean it is bad. Unless you have been yourself to the university than I wont agree.

okay enjoy london met

Quick Reply

Latest