The Student Room Group

Extractions for braces, gaps and retainers

Has anyone who had teeth removed for braces and then not worn their retainers continuously or for most of their life afterwards found that their gaps from the extraction have reopened? Do you really have to wear it for life? And is it worth the hassle?
I’ve had my braces off a year and I’ve worn my retainer basically 99% of the time. Definitely is worth the effort!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve had my braces off a year and I’ve worn my retainer basically 99% of the time. Definitely is worth the effort!

Thanks for your reply! Do you gradually have to wear it less and less though? Also, did you have teeth removed for it?
Has anyone who had teeth removed for braces and then not worn their retainers continuously or for most of their life afterwards found that their gaps from the extraction have reopened? Do you really have to wear it for life? And is it worth the hassle?

I have fixed appliances at the moment and waiting for jaw surgery in January/February 2020 (braces due to come off in December 2020).

The only time an orthodontist should extract teeth prior to orthodontic treatment is when you have severe overcrowding. Nowadays, orthodontists are not keen on extracting teeth unless they really need to (I had three impacted wisdoms extracted).

To your question, in short, yes you do have to wear your retainer as advised. With time, you can wear your retainers while sleeping but going through orthodontic treatment and then failing to wear your retainer at all, is simply bone idleness. You're ultimately imploring for relapse.
Reply 4
Original post by Cantab_UCL
I have fixed appliances at the moment and waiting for jaw surgery in January/February 2020 (braces due to come off in December 2020).

The only time an orthodontist should extract teeth prior to orthodontic treatment is when you have severe overcrowding. Nowadays, orthodontists are not keen on extracting teeth unless they really need to (I had three impacted wisdoms extracted).

To your question, in short, yes you do have to wear your retainer as advised. With time, you can wear your retainers while sleeping but going through orthodontic treatment and then failing to wear your retainer at all, is simply bone idleness. You're ultimately imploring for relapse.

Thanks for replying! I dont mean at all, I meant as in if I wore it religiously for a couple of years and then decided to stop wearing it, is there a big relapse to the point where the gaps would open up again?

Also, I'm not sure about orthodontists not being keen to extracting teeth these days. I went to an nhs consultation first since I'd be getting it from the nhs, and I was worried about extracting teeth as I had been told to get done. So my ortho told me to get a second opinion if I was worried. So I did , by going to a private orthodontist, and they told me that although i had some mild overcrowding, extracting teeth wouldn't be necessary, and I could wear carriere appliances to help with that, and then proceed with metal braces. When I asked why my orthodontists had said it was absolutely necessary before, they said it was because of the costs that the nhs wouldn't be able to cover and because the nhs isn't aware of many of the different types of treatment that are only a couple of years old. So, I guess it's because of financial constraints, but I understand.
Thanks for replying! I dont mean at all, I meant as in if I wore it religiously for a couple of years and then decided to stop wearing it, is there a big relapse to the point where the gaps would open up again?

Also, I'm not sure about orthodontists not being keen to extracting teeth these days. I went to an nhs consultation first since I'd be getting it from the nhs, and I was worried about extracting teeth as I had been told to get done. So my ortho told me to get a second opinion if I was worried. So I did , by going to a private orthodontist, and they told me that although i had some mild overcrowding, extracting teeth wouldn't be necessary, and I could wear carriere appliances to help with that, and then proceed with metal braces. When I asked why my orthodontists had said it was absolutely necessary before, they said it was because of the costs that the nhs wouldn't be able to cover and because the nhs isn't aware of many of the different types of treatment that are only a couple of years old. So, I guess it's because of financial constraints, but I understand.

I think this depends on many factors.

There might be some legitimacy in your claim that NHS orthodontists are keen on extracting teeth because of financial constraints: the NHS is after all underfunded and overstretched.

I've had my braces through the NHS and thus far the local Trust has done a fabulous job.

As I require a major jaw operation, I wasn't billed for the £4,500 - £5,000 cost. To your question, retainers are for life. Wearing them for a few years and then abandoming them will only encourage your teeth to return to pre-treatment positions. Its only through a retainer can you preclude relapse.

It's also useful to replace your retainer every 2 - 2.5 years as overtime they become less effective.
Reply 6
I think this depends on many factors.

There might be some legitimacy in your claim that NHS orthodontists are keen on extracting teeth because of financial constraints: the NHS is after all underfunded and overstretched.

I've had my braces through the NHS and thus far the local Trust has done a fabulous job.

As I require a major jaw operation, I wasn't billed for the £4,500 - £5,000 cost. To your question, retainers are for life. Wearing them for a few years and then abandoming them will only encourage your teeth to return to pre-treatment positions. Its only through a retainer can you preclude relapse.

It's also useful to replace your retainer every 2 - 2.5 years as overtime they become less effective.

Agreed, with the overall fabulous-ness of the nhs, I'm very grateful for it!

Also, I didn't even think about the wear and tear on retainers too - thank you for your insight and for writing thoughtful replies too! And good luck on your jaw operation, I hope it goes well!
Agreed, with the overall fabulous-ness of the nhs, I'm very grateful for it!

Also, I didn't even think about the wear and tear on retainers too - thank you for your insight and for writing thoughtful replies too! And good luck on your jaw operation, I hope it goes well!

Thank you.

Will you be getting orthodontic treatment again?
Reply 8
Thank you.

Will you be getting orthodontic treatment again?

This will be my first time getting braces, so I'm a bit nervous. The way I phrased the question at the start did make it sound like I'd already got them :redface:
This will be my first time getting braces, so I'm a bit nervous. The way I phrased the question at the start did make it sound like I'd already got them :redface:

Braces through the NHS or are you personally paying? The stories of pain are exaggerated by the way. You quickly adapt after a week.
Braces through the NHS or are you personally paying? The stories of pain are exaggerated by the way. You quickly adapt after a week.

Its through the nhs, I got part of it put on before I turned 18, but because of appointments being cancelled and pushed forward, Im still yet to do any of the major stuff. And thanks for the reassurance, I have heard some horror stories here and there, especially about tightening them! But to be fair, I did have those god awful rubber bands to separate my teeth a little before, and the amount of scraping the braces do to your cheeks is awful too, so I think I can handle the pain.

I had two teeth removed when I was 10/1 then wore braces for about 18 months. After that I never needed to wear then again and was 'signed off'. No gap has reopened and this was now some time ago - go for it :smile:
Its through the nhs, I got part of it put on before I turned 18, but because of appointments being cancelled and pushed forward, Im still yet to do any of the major stuff. And thanks for the reassurance, I have heard some horror stories here and there, especially about tightening them! But to be fair, I did have those god awful rubber bands to separate my teeth a little before, and the amount of scraping the braces do to your cheeks is awful too, so I think I can handle the pain.

Spacers are designed to create tiny gaps so molar bands can be put on. The molar bands provide rigidity. They are awful though.

Ensure you are kept up-to-date with progress during your appointments. I can't wait to mine off as I plan on moving to the USA in 2022.

As soon as they come off, I will have some cosmetic treatments done such as teeth whitening (don't need even need it) and teeth contouring.
Original post by Muttley79
I had two teeth removed when I was 10/1 then wore braces for about 18 months. After that I never needed to wear then again and was 'signed off'. No gap has reopened and this was now some time ago - go for it :smile:

You didn't have to wear the retainers afterwards?
Spacers are designed to create tiny gaps so molar bands can be put on. The molar bands provide rigidity. They are awful though.

Ensure you are kept up-to-date with progress during your appointments. I can't wait to mine off as I plan on moving to the USA in 2022.

As soon as they come off, I will have some cosmetic treatments done such as teeth whitening (don't need even need it) and teeth contouring.

Yup! I have molar bands on currently. I will do, theres no point dragging it on longer than needed, so will definitely make sure I keep track of the progress! Moving to the USA, and teeth whitening sound fab!! Its definitely best to get what you can done here, especially since im guessing it will cost a lot more in insurance in the US.
Yup! I have molar bands on currently. I will do, theres no point dragging it on longer than needed, so will definitely make sure I keep track of the progress! Moving to the USA, and teeth whitening sound fab!! Its definitely best to get what you can done here, especially since im guessing it will cost a lot more in insurance in the US.

The American health system is bamboozling. Not only is it extortionate (the average working person pays circa $400 per month) but neither do they pay in full. There are always contributions you have to pay toward seeing GPs/Dentists which totally sucks.
Thanks for your reply! Do you gradually have to wear it less and less though? Also, did you have teeth removed for it?

Yes I had about 4 teeth removed, and braces for about 4 years. I got them off in January. I’ve been wearing my retainer every night (which is what my dentist said) and she didn’t say to gradually wear it less and less so I’m just wearing it every night :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest