The Student Room Group

is there a reliable/conclusive test for lyme disease?

if so, what's it called? there are so many conflicting opinions on the web.
If you have erythema migrans that's a pretty big sign
The best tests are done in Germany at ArminLabs, unfortunately the UK testing regime is not very good.
Reply 3
Original post by Glaz
If you have erythema migrans that's a pretty big sign

hmm, yeah, but not everyone gets the rash, right?
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
The best tests are done in Germany at ArminLabs, unfortunately the UK testing regime is not very good.

thought so, lol.
Original post by Ciel.
thought so, lol.

You will have to do it privately.

What makes you think you have it if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by Ciel.
hmm, yeah, but not everyone gets the rash, right?

It's seen in about 80% of cases in Europe
Reply 6
You will have to do it privately.

What makes you think you have it if you don't mind me asking?

oh, so it is available in the uk? i don't ever bother with nhs doctors, anyway. i'm not sure if i do, it's just an idea. i feel tired af, feverish, shivery all the damn time. it's been going on for months. i feel like i have a flu that never ends, just without the rest of the symptoms like cough etc. brain fog, altho that could possibly be caused by valium, light/noise sensitivity.
Original post by Glaz
It's seen in about 80% of cases in Europe

i see. thanks.
If you're worried, go see a doctor. Don't post on TSR, because whilst there are doctors here, they can't physically examine you and stuff.
Reply 8
Original post by Glaz
If you're worried, go see a doctor. Don't post on TSR, because whilst there are doctors here, they can't physically examine you and stuff.

they're no help most of the time. if your basic blood work isn't critically bad, they're lost. lol
Original post by Ciel.
they're no help most of the time. if your basic blood work isn't critically bad, they're lost. lol

I... no
Original post by Ciel.
oh, so it is available in the uk? i don't ever bother with nhs doctors, anyway. i'm not sure if i do, it's just an idea. i feel tired af, feverish, shivery all the damn time. it's been going on for months. i feel like i have a flu that never ends, just without the rest of the symptoms like cough etc. brain fog, altho that could possibly be caused by valium, light/noise sensitivity.

I believe you can have it arranged if you are covered on private medical insurance.

It could be Chronic Fatigue Syndrome which is often misdiagnosed as Lyme Disease.
Reply 11
I believe you can have it arranged if you are covered on private medical insurance.

It could be Chronic Fatigue Syndrome which is often misdiagnosed as Lyme Disease.

i've head about it. but idk, i think in many cases there's an actual underlying cause that just doesn't get discovered. but who knows. the human body is so damn confusing.
Original post by Ciel.
i've head about it. but idk, i think in many cases there's an actual underlying cause that just doesn't get discovered. but who knows. the human body is so damn confusing.

Only going to know if you can find a GP that gives flying ****.
Reply 13
Only going to know if you can find a GP that gives flying ****.

yeah. and that's no easy task... even the private ones can be very dismissive. "oh, it's probably a) your vegetarian diet, b) the meds you're on c) stress" usually i just get one of those. lol.
Original post by Ciel.
yeah. and that's no easy task... even the private ones can be very dismissive. "oh, it's probably a) your vegetarian diet, b) the meds you're on c) stress" usually i just get one of those. lol.

Is quite common to be told these things when it's a chronic illness (even post-diagnosis). They just want easy answers which sorta sucks.

I'm sorry you're struggling. :console:
Reply 15
Original post by Pathway
Is quite common to be told these things when it's a chronic illness (even post-diagnosis). They just want easy answers which sorta sucks.

I'm sorry you're struggling. :console:

yeah, it does. it's so frustrating!
thanks <3

Quick Reply

Latest