The Student Room Group

Changing course

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Smooth Sailing
Currently on my first semester of year 2 mechanical engineering, and I wish to transfer to the same course at a different university.

HOWEVER the hitch is that it's likely I will have to start year 2 again, and this course at the new university has a start date of January.

So far for this year I have claimed a maintenance grant for the current term and tuition fees for the current term.

Having talked to student finance on the phone, they explained that by claiming a full year of student finance again starting from January, this may result in me having an overpayment on the term I'm currently in which I will have to pay back.

I'd understand if I was just taking the money and doing a runner, but I'm moving university as I need to be closer to the family as soon as possible and it's not something I've planned for. Will I still get the full support from January? And how will the overpayment be paid back? Couldn't get much information on the phone.

Any help would be appreciated

Hi,

Are you planning on withdrawing from your current course from now and then attending the new university in January? Or will you be completing the first term and then transferring?

Regards, Duncan
Original post by Duncan SFE
Hi,

Are you planning on withdrawing from your current course from now and then attending the new university in January? Or will you be completing the first term and then transferring?

Regards, Duncan

Hi Duncan,

The preferable option would be for me to finish my first term and then transfer, however I will still then have to re-do first term at the new university in January, albeit with a different course structure/different modules.

However, if withdrawing would be a better option for me financially, it's also something I would consider. So it would be useful to know the implications of each of these.

Kind regards
Hi Duncan,

The preferable option would be for me to finish my first term and then transfer, however I will still then have to re-do first term at the new university in January, albeit with a different course structure/different modules.

However, if withdrawing would be a better option for me financially, it's also something I would consider. So it would be useful to know the implications of each of these.

Kind regards

If you get the new university to send us a transfer confirming this and that you'll be starting as a January starter, there shouldn't be an over payment incurred.

Regards, Duncan
Original post by Duncan SFE
If you get the new university to send us a transfer confirming this and that you'll be starting as a January starter, there shouldn't be an over payment incurred.

Regards, Duncan

Hi again Duncan,

Will this be in the case that I complete this current semester then transfer?

I got told on the phone that because I'll be starting the new course in January, this could affect my student finance.
Hi again Duncan,

Will this be in the case that I complete this current semester then transfer?

I got told on the phone that because I'll be starting the new course in January, this could affect my student finance.

Hi there,

If you are transferring course from term 1 you funding will not be affected, if you withdraw from your course to then start a new course your funding will be subject to previous study rules and this may result in an overpayment.

Thanks, Amy
Original post by Amy SFE
Hi there,

If you are transferring course from term 1 you funding will not be affected, if you withdraw from your course to then start a new course your funding will be subject to previous study rules and this may result in an overpayment.

Thanks, Amy

Hi Amy,

I will be withdrawing from the course however transferring over my progress from year 1 i.e. I'll be completing year 2 and year 3 in full on the new course (so my first semester from this year will essentially go to waste).

I know it's a unique situation but it would be nice to know the exact consequences of this as I can't make a decision until I know :/

Thanks
Hi Amy,

I will be withdrawing from the course however transferring over my progress from year 1 i.e. I'll be completing year 2 and year 3 in full on the new course (so my first semester from this year will essentially go to waste).

I know it's a unique situation but it would be nice to know the exact consequences of this as I can't make a decision until I know :/

Thanks

Hi,

If you withdraw from your course to start a new course we would use the following calculation to calculate your entitlement;

Duration of new course + Additional Year - Previous Study = Entitlement

If your new course is a 3 year course and you have previous received 2 years of SFE funding your calculation would be as follows;

3 + 1 - 2 = 2 years SFE tuition fee support remaining, this will be applied in the final years of your course (Year 2 and Year 3). If you are entering the new course in Year 2 your funding will be covered for the remainder of your course. As a result you will be entitled to the Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan and any Supplementary Grants applicable to you.

Thanks, Amy
Original post by Amy SFE
Hi,

If you withdraw from your course to start a new course we would use the following calculation to calculate your entitlement;

Duration of new course + Additional Year - Previous Study = Entitlement

If your new course is a 3 year course and you have previous received 2 years of SFE funding your calculation would be as follows;

3 + 1 - 2 = 2 years SFE tuition fee support remaining, this will be applied in the final years of your course (Year 2 and Year 3). If you are entering the new course in Year 2 your funding will be covered for the remainder of your course. As a result you will be entitled to the Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan and any Supplementary Grants applicable to you.

Thanks, Amy

Hi Amy,

Thank you so much, this cleared everything up for me so I can make a decision now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending