The Student Room Group

Why hasn't world hunger and poverty ended?

The richest 1% own half the world's wealth which was mentioned in the guardian back in 2017. Why dont communities come together and end the world poverty?

It was also surprising to see the UK giving out £1 billion 'in aid' to india for them to build a statue but in the UK our funding for things like schools has been cut.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also why is the Madeline mccans case still getting funding? Why doesn't the country make better use of its money?
Reply 2
Poverty has been going down for the past century. It's an amazing decline.
Poverty is relative. The scale at which someone is poor/rich depends on wealth distribution.

World hunger, I have no idea how that hand been solved already. Human greed is probably the answer.
because change doesn't happen overnight kiddo

if you want to start a debate like this you better start it on a stronger and less generic foot
Reply 5
Original post by Sinnoh
Poverty has been going down for the past century. It's an amazing decline.

That's good to know but how come when the France building burned down back in april money was raised immediately by millionaires or billionaires cant remember. Why cant rich ppl come together like that for poverty and world hunger.
Reply 6
Original post by Guru Jason
Poverty is relative. The scale at which someone is poor/rich depends on wealth distribution.

World hunger, I have no idea how that hand been solved already. Human greed is probably the answer

Yh its human greed.
Reply 7
Original post by HoldThisL
because change doesn't happen overnight kiddo

if you want to start a debate like this you better start it on a stronger and less generic foot

Yh ofc change doesnt happen immediately but it's unfair that 1% of the population own half of the worlds wealth
Reply 8
Original post by UnknownKS
That's good to know but how come when the France building burned down back in april money was raised immediately by millionaires or billionaires cant remember. Why cant rich ppl come together like that for poverty and world hunger.

My guess is that renovating a building is a lot more straightforward when it comes to funding and using the money. But I think this belies how many charitable donations are made. Don't forget, the donations made towards rebuilding Notre Dame were a one-time thing, whereas, say, Oxfam is constantly receiving money.
Yh ofc change doesnt happen immediately but it's unfair that 1% of the population own half of the worlds wealth

your parents own a disproportionately large percentage of the worlds wealth given that they are only two people
Reply 10
your parents own a disproportionately large percentage of the worlds wealth given that they are only two people

Do you think its fair that 1% of the population own half of the worlds weath?
Do you think its fair that 1% of the population own half of the worlds weath?

yup because that statistic discounts income as wealth
Reply 12
Corruption, mainly
Reply 13
Indeed it's not their obligation but why keep money stored away when it can be used to feed a family or can be used to start employment schemes or proving jobs not just in the UK but in the whole world where there are equal opportunities

For example mc Donald's makes a lot of profit but still dont want to increase wages. What is the need for so much money
Reply 14
Original post by SaDe7
Corruption, mainly

Agreed
Reply 15
yup because that statistic discounts income as wealth

That's just Being selfish
Reply 16
Amazon is taking in loads of money yet it struggles to give its worker a decent pay and breaks. Why does the owner need all of that excess money it can easily be used to give workers a higher wage. Yes its profits will reduce but they are stil raking in at the top of the spectrum
That's just Being selfish

why can't you read what i said and respond to that instead of making another generic comment that applies to you too because when you grow you'll be richer than everyone poorer than you but won't give it away either
Reply 18
why can't you read what i said and respond to that instead of making another generic comment that applies to you too because when you grow you'll be richer than everyone poorer than you but won't give it away either

Ofc and u a random person on the internet knows me very well to say that.
Reply 19
The richest 1% own half the world's wealth which was mentioned in the guardian back in 2017. Why dont communities come together and end the world poverty?

It was also surprising to see the UK giving out £1 billion 'in aid' to india for them to build a statue but in the UK our funding for things like schools has been cut.

Because it's really not that simple. You're asking 5 different questions in the form of one question, with 'why haven't we solved poverty', 'why haven't we solved hunger', 'why do the richest 1% own so much', 'why is UK government spending decreasing' and 'is it right sending such large aid packages to other countries when we have problems in our own' being 5 distinctly different problems, none of which have simple solutions, if any exist at all.

You cannot just 'come together' and solve the problem of global poverty. There are many things that have to be considered. Firstly, 'poverty' is relative, are you talking in ratio to others, or are you setting a specific income which anyone who falls beneath is classed as 'poor'? While I do believe it would be realistic for poverty to decrease more than it has already, I believe it is highly unrealistic and naive to believe that we could ever truly solve world poverty. This is why economics exists. Resource distribution and income distribution are a lot more complicated than you suggest. I'm going to be very unspecific here because I don't have forever to write this message but if you think about it, any injection you put in to 'stop world poverty' such as a large aid package to poor communities, or a rise in unemployment benefits will have several major problems; a) People may not use this help in the way you want, b) The money has to come from somewhere, where? c) What other consequences are there of doing this?

You also address the 1%, which I thought was quite interesting. Surely, you can understand that the highly successful businessmen who've built their empires and have worked hard doing it, will be reluctant to part with their hard earned money, and the people who are not given the opportunities necessary for social mobility will struggle to shift themselves out of poverty?

As for world hunger well there are problems with that even though it may not appear so, with the main problem being the physical environment and the fact that our resources for growing and distributing food are limited (and side effects of distributing food such as pollution also limiting our capacity to produce it in the first place), and also have costs associated with them, with the main question again being where is the money going to come from? The real problem is that there are way too many people on the this planet. The main solution to solve global hunger would be to reduce population, with the obvious answer being distribution of contraception, but this itself has numerous problems. There isn't a simple solution here.

As for UK spending cuts, well that's just fiscal policy which you can find out a lot about the reasons for that using government reports and statistics, but take that up with Boris, I'm sure he knows best (sarcasm). Austerity is quite complicated to just explain in a post, especially as I don't have much time to make this post and I'm not an expert (I'm in Y12 doing A level Economics), so I'm sure that there are people on this forum who could give you a much more detailed and in-depth analysis of this than me, so I won't be talking in detail about either this, or UK aid, as they most likely require more factual information to explain (which I don't possess and don't have the time to research).

As for UK aid (which I am by no means an expert in either as stated above), surely it's quite obvious why we have huge amounts being spent on aid? It's because like defense, there are lots of targets and goals set up by organisations like the UN to meet aid spending, and to be honest it looks good for the UK if it meets these targets, so that is why we have a lot spent on aid.

I know this hasn't really answered your question (I don't think anyone could conclusively), sorry about that, but you have to understand that the whole point I'm trying to make is that your question is not actually one question but many questions put into one, with each one having separate offshoots and questions within itself. There is a reason why these big problems haven't been solved: it's way too complicated and expensive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending