The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Law

Hello

I am an international student living in the UK and received an offer for UCL law last year of A*AA but due to bereavement (member of immediate family) I got A*BC in Chemistry, Politics and German

I am thus resitting Politics and German and I also am picking up A Level Maths (did AS in Yr 12 and got high A) and am predicted AAA this year.

My LNAT was quite bad, I believe my essay to be quite good but as my English still is not the best I struggle with the multiple-choice and it seems to have gone even worse than last year (got 22).

Does anyone have any advice/thoughts on my application? Is it unlikely to receive an offer from UCL after missing their offer last year?

Scroll to see replies

Your essay must have been really good last year! Not that 22 is bad:smile:

I don't know though, @harrysbar @Reality Check may have some insight but I doubt you'd be at a disadvantage because you have reasons.

(I also am relatively new to the UK so I'm working on my English. I hope my general English isn't that bad but I don't know many 'complex words' so I can relate!:biggrin:)
Original post by Anonymous
Hello

I am an international student living in the UK and received an offer for UCL law last year of A*AA but due to bereavement (member of immediate family) I got A*BC in Chemistry, Politics and German

I am thus resitting Politics and German and I also am picking up A Level Maths (did AS in Yr 12 and got high A) and am predicted AAA this year.

My LNAT was quite bad, I believe my essay to be quite good but as my English still is not the best I struggle with the multiple-choice and it seems to have gone even worse than last year (got 22).

Does anyone have any advice/thoughts on my application? Is it unlikely to receive an offer from UCL after missing their offer last year?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Also applied to Durham as they say they do not care about resits much but haven't heard back. I know it is still early but I'm stressed in general!
Reply 3
Bump:frown:
Reply 4
@harrysbar do u have opinions on my case?
@harrysbar do u have opinions on my case?

I think that or @Reality Check may be better able to advise you on this.

For what it's worth, my opinion is that Durham are more likely to make you an offer and it's early days so there is no reason to fear the worst from them - although obviously I don't know how you scored in the LNAT. UCL are more tricky because they don't accept resits without significant extenuating circumstances but they will hopefully be sympathetic if you can provide the evidence they require (which sounds tactless, sorry!)

All you can really do is wait and see what responses you get back from all the unis you applied to. You should be able to get into a really good uni with your predicted grades and the breadth of your subject choice is impressive. Hope for the best but it's never a good idea for anyone to get too obsessed with going to any one uni beyond all others at this stage; try to be open minded to all the offers you will get
Reply 6
Original post by harrysbar
I think that @J Papi or @Reality Check may be better able to advise you on this.

For what it's worth, my opinion is that Durham are more likely to make you an offer and it's early days so there is no reason to fear the worst from them - although obviously I don't know how you scored in the LNAT. UCL are more tricky because they don't accept resits without significant extenuating circumstances but they will hopefully be sympathetic if you can provide the evidence they require (which sounds tactless, sorry!)

All you can really do is wait and see what responses you get back from all the unis you applied to. You should be able to get into a really good uni with your predicted grades and the breadth of your subject choice is impressive. Hope for the best but it's never a good idea for anyone to get too obsessed with going to any one uni beyond all others at this stage; try to be open minded to all the offers you will get

Hi thanks for replying

I have provided the evidence required and I received an email saying the director of programmes will review my case and keep my updated but it has been well over 2 weeks (i think maybe 3).

I assumed death in the family in May was significant or is that wrong?
Hi thanks for replying

I have provided the evidence required and I received an email saying the director of programmes will review my case and keep my updated but it has been well over 2 weeks (i think maybe 3).

I assumed death in the family in May was significant or is that wrong?

I would call it significant if it was a close family member yes, but it's not up to me.

Maybe give UCL a call tomorrow and ask for an update on your application?
Reply 8
I would call it significant if it was a close family member yes, but it's not up to me.

Maybe give UCL a call tomorrow and ask for an update on your application?

I know it's not up to you sorry! I just wanted to know your judgement because you seem to be knowledgeable on such matters:redface:

Do you think? I always get quite flustered on the phone (when I called my insurance during results day the people were quite rude about my Spanish accent). It would not be strange or too persistent?

Thank you
I know it's not up to you sorry! I just wanted to know your judgement because you seem to be knowledgeable on such matters:redface:

Do you think? I always get quite flustered on the phone (when I called my insurance during results day the people were quite rude about my Spanish accent). It would not be strange or too persistent?

Thank you

I don't actually have any particular knowledge about this issue so I'm just saying what seems sensible to me. It definitely wouldn't seem strange or persistent to ask for an update and it might give you some insight into what is happening, or even prompt them to hurry up with a response!

I'm quite shocked your insurance uni were rude about your Spanish accent on the phone, Admissions people are normally nicer than that and more professional. If you prefer you could email them but a phone call normally gets a quicker response.
I don't actually have any particular knowledge about this issue so I'm just saying what seems sensible to me. It definitely wouldn't seem strange or persistent to ask for an update and it might give you some insight into what is happening, or even prompt them to hurry up with a response!

I'm quite shocked your insurance uni were rude about your Spanish accent on the phone, Admissions people are normally nicer than that and more professional. If you prefer you could email them but a phone call normally gets a quicker response.

I have emailed several times (I think 4) and they have not replied unfortunately so I'm worried I'll come across annoying if I call. If I do what do I say? Sorry, I'm paranoid

They were horrible to me, I was very surprised because my accent is not so thick that you can't understand me anyway
I have emailed several times (I think 4) and they have not replied unfortunately so I'm worried I'll come across annoying if I call. If I do what do I say? Sorry, I'm paranoid

They were horrible to me, I was very surprised because my accent is not so thick that you can't understand me anyway

That definitely sounds like it would be better to phone then. Keep it short and sweet - just say you are phoning for an update on your application and have your UCAS number to hand.

You probably just got one miserable person at your insurance uni - they might have been stressed with Clearing but that's no excuse :mad:
That definitely sounds like it would be better to phone then. Keep it short and sweet - just say you are phoning for an update on your application and have your UCAS number to hand.

You probably just got one miserable person at your insurance uni - they might have been stressed with Clearing but that's no excuse :mad:

Thank you for your help. I will call tomorrow and see what is happening as they have not replied in around 3 weeks to any emails.

I know. It's quite a prestigious university (Nottingham offered ABB) and they snickered and said I should call back and find someone who understands me.
Thank you for your help. I will call tomorrow and see what is happening as they have not replied in around 3 weeks to any emails.

I know. It's quite a prestigious university (Nottingham offered ABB) and they snickered and said I should call back and find someone who understands me.

Disgraceful! I imagine the person would have got into trouble for saying that had you reported them but I'm sure you had enough stress to deal with at the time. Anyway, give UCL a call and let us know how you get on when you hear back from them or any other uni :smile:
Disgraceful! I imagine the person would have got into trouble for saying that had you reported them but I'm sure you had enough stress to deal with at the time. Anyway, give UCL a call and let us know how you get on when you hear back from them or any other uni :smile:

I'll let you know tomorrow morning!:smile:

I was as shocked as you are. I obviously hung up and called again and at the end of the call told the lady about the rude, xenophobic/racist person but she just said something along the lines of 'oh well, everyone is stressed today'. Really put me off Nottingham if I'm honest. I complained over email after because I felt humiliated and the man was very nice and said the two people were taken care of and won't be invited back next year for clearing helplines.
I'll let you know tomorrow morning!:smile:

I was as shocked as you are. I obviously hung up and called again and at the end of the call told the lady about the rude, xenophobic/racist person but she just said something along the lines of 'oh well, everyone is stressed today'. Really put me off Nottingham if I'm honest. I complained over email after because I felt humiliated and the man was very nice and said the two people were taken care of and won't be invited back next year for clearing helplines.

Good for you for reporting it, it is racist as you say and Nottingham won't want to be associated with racism, no uni would. At least those people won't be allowed back next year - hopefully that will have taught them a lesson. After all, it's more stressful for the students then the staff at Clearing time so there's no excuse for rudeness no matter how busy they get.
How can he be predicted AAA when he already has an A*? You need to read the thread :rolleyes:
Predicted AAA but achieved A* last year alongside BC
It was in the original post I said I achieved A*BC last year. Do you have any insight?
So what do you think? I’ll get rejected? My sister passed away in May which is my ‘extenuating circumstance’

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending