The Student Room Group

Is anybody sitting ICAEW Case In November 2019?

Hey guys

Please reach out if you’re sitting Case Study in November, it would be great to exchange tips on how to revise for it as I’m finding it a little difficult to get my head around!
Hi,I'm sitting the case independently in November, but struggling to afford any tuition help! How are you preparing?
Reply 2
I would recommend the Cracking Case book, it really helps you to see the paper in a logical way of answering.
If anyone has any resources they’d be willing to share with me will they contact me? As an independent student I can’t afford any of the major tuition props and would appreciate a helping hand :’(. 2 weeks now stressing out
Hi there!I sat Case Study today (Doughby). I imagine you did too?If so - how did you find it? I thought it was pretty difficult especially Requirement 2.Victoria
Reply 5
I also found it quite difficult. Had a complete mind block most of the way through after passing all of my mock exams. Very disappointing that I couldn't get focused on the day and I'm resigned to resitting in July. I managed to complete the whole exam though; which may be my only saving grace!
Original post by tomdl92
I also found it quite difficult. Had a complete mind block most of the way through after passing all of my mock exams. Very disappointing that I couldn't get focused on the day and I'm resigned to resitting in July. I managed to complete the whole exam though; which may be my only saving grace!

Hi Tom,
You’ve probably done much better than you think!
IMO - Req 1 was okay but very long. Req 2 and 3 were both harder than usual. Req 2 calculations took me way too long... and I was left with less time than I should have had for Req 3.
Also for the exec summary I pretty much just copied and pasted conclusions and recommendations. For my conclusions I just copied and pasted the highlights of my answer adding a conclusion for the way forward in Reqs 2 and 3. I know they say not to do this and you will be penalised but writing the same thing out 3 times to me seems a waste of time and it is not even clear how much you are penalised by for it. I think you just lose the 6 marks for succinctness? Really interested in other people’s opinions on this.
That said someone in my exam centre told me their copy and paste function did not work...,
Victoria
Reply 7
Original post by EmilyCoppen
Hi Tom,
You’ve probably done much better than you think!
IMO - Req 1 was okay but very long. Req 2 and 3 were both harder than usual. Req 2 calculations took me way too long... and I was left with less time than I should have had for Req 3.
Also for the exec summary I pretty much just copied and pasted conclusions and recommendations. For my conclusions I just copied and pasted the highlights of my answer adding a conclusion for the way forward in Reqs 2 and 3. I know they say not to do this and you will be penalised but writing the same thing out 3 times to me seems a waste of time and it is not even clear how much you are penalised by for it. I think you just lose the 6 marks for succinctness? Really interested in other people’s opinions on this.
That said someone in my exam centre told me their copy and paste function did not work...,
Victoria

Hi Victoria
Thanks for your reply, hopefully that is the case! How do you feel you did overall?

I completely agree regards the executive summary. I find it particularly annoying having to go back and forth through the answer tabs so I copy and pasted and then added a bit of content/changed the wording here and there.

I thought R3 was a tough one, perhaps as time was a big pressure at that point. R1, I agree, seemed to be very in depth, it covered a lot of content and I think most, like myself, will have over answered that requirement.

Tom
Reply 8
Hi everyone, hope we aren't too down after that exam yesterday. I found R1 quite nice, I expected a bank meeting to come up so had plenty of notes made about that, as well as the revenue/gross profit.

But what the hell was R2/R3 all about?! Found the calculations for R2 quite tricky, and also the ethics part of R3 really odd as I couldn't find anything negative about S-E so that threw me!

After looking through the Cracking Case book, they kept going over the fact that we shouldn't copy and paste the executive summary so I made sure I didn't. But a few people have said they have so I've probably wasted about 20 minutes re-typing everything!

Anyway, if you have done a full & balanced report, you are already on the way to getting a pass. Usually around a 75% pass rate, and I reckon most of the 25% will have run out of time, or produced an extremely small R3.
Original post by crowewba
Hi everyone, hope we aren't too down after that exam yesterday. I found R1 quite nice, I expected a bank meeting to come up so had plenty of notes made about that, as well as the revenue/gross profit.

But what the hell was R2/R3 all about?! Found the calculations for R2 quite tricky, and also the ethics part of R3 really odd as I couldn't find anything negative about S-E so that threw me!

After looking through the Cracking Case book, they kept going over the fact that we shouldn't copy and paste the executive summary so I made sure I didn't. But a few people have said they have so I've probably wasted about 20 minutes re-typing everything!

Anyway, if you have done a full & balanced report, you are already on the way to getting a pass. Usually around a 75% pass rate, and I reckon most of the 25% will have run out of time, or produced an extremely small R3.

I’m sure you are technically right about Exec Summary. It should be done separately. I simply just didn’t allow enough time. I did lengthy conclusions and then copied those adding some headings and then copying recommendations... into ES. I would have then gone back and pared down my conclusions but just did not have the time! Oh well..::
Original post by tomdl92
Hi Victoria
Thanks for your reply, hopefully that is the case! How do you feel you did overall?

I completely agree regards the executive summary. I find it particularly annoying having to go back and forth through the answer tabs so I copy and pasted and then added a bit of content/changed the wording here and there.

I thought R3 was a tough one, perhaps as time was a big pressure at that point. R1, I agree, seemed to be very in depth, it covered a lot of content and I think most, like myself, will have over answered that requirement.

Tom

Hi Tom,

No idea how I did to be honest. Timing was also a big issue for me in Req 3 and I am concerned I misread bits of the question. The calcs were weird - mine were probably wrong so I am trying to forget them! I am not sure how much we were meant to base our answer on the media article. I found it quite convoluted and at that stage I just needed to get some stuff down so did not really pay much attention to it at all! Most of my ops and strat points and ethics were based on the main text.

My ES was basically my (detailed)conclusions and recommendations copied & pasted with little or no editing so I am quite worried about that now. I just did not leave sufficient time!

Victoria

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending